Hello everyone, I really dig bands like Scale the Summit and Cynic and I was wondering if there was a way to get a tone like theirs without breaking the bank. Currently i have a somewhat shitty setup. I have a 65 watt Fender Frontman and a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
you probably want to look into a pod. whats your budget?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Thier older album I believe they recorded with a mesa roadster and an ENGL of some sorts (Invader maybe?) but the latest album was roadster for distortion And straight into their DAW for cleans. Live they use an axe fx II now, all IIRC of course
My budget is probably about 500 maybe more because i am tight with money right now.
they use literally something like 12 heads in studio and axe fx. i know that most of the leads are marshall jcm 800. unless you plan on spending alot of money on a decently versatile amp/head, a dsp like a pod will be best i would say. the guy uses custom 7 and 8s with lundgren pickups which he endorses.

cynic have also used the jcm 800s, now in the studio i think all their cleans are axe fx, and BKP trilogy suite single coils if im not mistaken. miracle man bridge. i think they have also used a host of amps in studio including diezel, i think mesa, and a bunch of other stuff.

but i would say you just need to have something with a decent amount of gain, tubescreamer is a must for distortions, and is key to the sound, especially the scale the summit tones, and cleans with delay/chorus/etc pedals. chorus is probably the most important.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
no.

hate to say it but for the tones you are after you might need a new setup. and im not saying you need a 5000 dollar rig but you will definitely need an upgrade. their tone is kinda on the generic side IMO (their playing is NOT tho lol) but something similar can be had on a budget.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
An HD500 would be a good choice for now. I can pretty much nail the clean tone on my HD Desktop from the song "The Levitated" use a clean, bright amp with compression. Get rid of your current amp though. The Engl sim on the HDs can probably get close too
Well yeah i kind of figured, so what would be a semi cheap alternative for an amp?