Hey guys, I need an amp !

I just recently sold my Blues Jr because it was too loud for what I use it for : home practice.
I need a small amp, under 10w.

Budget : 400€ (530 usd)
Genre : Indie rock (The Strokes, Modest Mouse) and Jazz (George Benson...)
New or used : I don't mind used.
Home or gig : HOME
Closest city : Paris, France
Current gear : Les Paul Custom with Gibson 57Classic pups and Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde

I am interested in the VOX AC4TV but maybe there is better ?

Thanks !

PS: TUBE please!
Last edited by alans056 at Apr 2, 2012,
maybe a vht special 6? (or the ultra) the fendery/cleaner voicing might be better for jazz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox AC4TV for sure. AFAIK, few tube amps get quieter than 1/4 a watt.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
If your 15w Blues Jr. was "Too Loud" for your situation, then I personally can't recommend anything else ampwise. There really is not much volume difference between 15w and 10w, and I can't imagine anything with that low of wattage being able to give a fully pristine Jazz tone.

If I were you I'd invest in a Pod HD and a set of good headphones (ATH-M50's), so you can play without bothering anyone. You can hook it up to some computer speakers if you ever want to play without phones.

Though if you MUST have an amp, I might suggest a Carvin V16. Same wattage as a Blues Jr., but I know from experience it can handle low volumes a lot better than a Blues Jr. can. It's worth looking into.
Thanks guys,

I looked at the VHT Ultra 6 on youtube and it seems its very metal oriented ? Sooo much gainn and distortion!!

Ian the fox : I'm not looking into 10w amps, but more 4/5/6 W !
To be honest, Ian is right. To get any kind of tone with the volume restrictions you have, you really need to consider modelling. Fender Mustang I, Vox VT20+, etc. or the HD pods with headphones or through a computer/hi-fi input to play through speakers.

Valves are not low volume. 1/4 Watt played low and clean will probably not give you any better tone than a modelling amp, which will be cheaper and more flexible.

The other alternative is to buy a real valve amp and run it through a good attenuator, but you will be throwing money at it, and it may not even be quiet enough.

Don't be swayed by people saying "I play through my JCM900 on 1/4 and it is quiet enough and sounds great!" Their idea of "quiet enough" is not yours. You need to decide what is quiet enough for your own personal situation.
Well I will occasionaly be jamming with friends (drummer and other guitarist) sometimes, so I really need an amp.

I just need enough volume to practice with backing tracks without damaging my ear. Something portable, affordable, and that sounds good.

From what I saw, the AC4TV can hold up in a jamming session. I essentially play overdriven tones with my friends so I can work, right?
Vox VT20+ (yes, I have one). Goes up to 30 watts, never jammed with a drummer though so can't say how it would hold up. Built in attenuator, goes down to OFF. Turn the AC4TV up full on 4W mode and it will beat my VT20+ for tone every time (it wont be clean though), but I don't know whether that will work over a drummer either.

Headphone output and Aux in for jam tracks.

Models include JC120 (the standard jazz amp) and a whole raft of voxes, fenders, marshalls etc.

But you know your circumstances better than anyone. You need to get to a shop to try them out really.
Champ plugged into a decent speaker. You'll need to mike it up to hear it over a drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by redandwhite12
I always forget about VHT but yeah that would be great too.

Quote by alans056
Thanks guys,

I looked at the VHT Ultra 6 on youtube and it seems its very metal oriented ? Sooo much gainn and distortion!!

Ian the fox : I'm not looking into 10w amps, but more 4/5/6 W !

as far as i'm aware, it's the same thing as the special 6 (which is basically a hotrodded fender champ), but has an extra switchable gain stage (i.e. I haven't tried it, but people who have owned both say it sounds identical if you don't use the extra gain stage- plus it's there if you ever decide you do need it). the advantage of the ultra is it has a watts control. Now, whether or not that sucks tone, I dunno (as cheap methods of power scaling often do in cheaper amps) but if it works it'd probably be worth having for that alone in your situation.

Quote by deano_l

Don't be swayed by people saying "I play through my JCM900 on 1/4 and it is quiet enough and sounds great!" Their idea of "quiet enough" is not yours. You need to decide what is quiet enough for your own personal situation.

agreed 100%. I always say this.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by alans056
Well I will occasionaly be jamming with friends (drummer and other guitarist) sometimes, so I really need an amp.
A 4/5/6w amp is NOT going to keep up with a drummer, and even if you can get it loud enough you will NOT be a smooth clean tone like what you are asking for.

Also, that Carvin V16 I mentioned earlier allows you to switch the wattage to 16w or 5 w. Maybe that's what would do best for you: you can use the 16w setting for jamming and the 5w for bedroom practice. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VINTAGE16

Though I really think you should consider dropping the idea of a tube amp if you need to play really quiet. Consider a digital modeler like a Vypyr or a Mustang.

Quote by deano_l
Any amp can be quiet enough for anything, but the issue is it has to sound good at those volumes.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 3, 2012,
Lots of very cool info, thanks a lot guys.

I will continue looking into the AC4TV and the Carvin V16