I got a squier as part of a trade, but there's no serial number, or anything to indicate when it was made. there's also no fender logo on the neck plate or back of the tuners. is this normal? Where would I find the serial number?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Extra fake, holy crap... I didn't even think it was possible to get more fake than a Squire...
lmao that's what i was thinking...who would fake a squier? :s
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Take the neck and body apart. There should be some sort of marking - depends on the year, but usually it's a copy of the serial number - either on the neck heel or in the neck pocket.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Take the neck and body apart. There should be some sort of marking - depends on the year, but usually it's a copy of the serial number - either on the neck heel or in the neck pocket.

k...give me 10 mins
Quote by stepchildusmc
nope, nothin
Quote by stepchildusmc
Huh. That's definitely a partscaster or a factory second then, because even the weird prototype Squiers of the 80s had identification on the neck heels and neck pockets. Can you post some photos of it? Especially the bridge, the tuners and the headstock. Might at least be able to have a stab at identifying it if we can see it.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
uploading them now...internet sucks. check back in 10

Everything seems like it's stock. nothing looks out of place...when i took the neck off, it had a tan line from the neck pocket. I took the pick guard off, and while there't nothing to identify any of the parts, it all looks like it was factory assembled. dried glue and sawdust fell out of the neck pocket, which would indicate that this is the first time it's been removed from the body.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Apr 2, 2012,
There was a run of squires, Chinese I think, that had serial numbers on stickers at the heal of the neck, it's not uncommon to find these without that number present. Chances of finding a serial anywhere else on the guitar are slim, if it's one of these squiers.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I apologize in advance if these pictures are huge

Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by Thomme
There was a run of squires, Chinese I think, that had serial numbers on stickers at the heal of the neck, it's not uncommon to find these without that number present. Chances of finding a serial anywhere else on the guitar are slim, if it's one of these squiers.

there is a sticker mark from a removed sticker on the heel of the neck...i don't think it would be big enough to fit a serial number though, looks about the size of the "made in xxx" stickers that most imported guitars have
Quote by stepchildusmc
I double checked, they're actually Indian, and Squier II's, and of much higher quality than this. It looks like a Squier Affinity headstock, but lacks ANY of the other identifiers than "Squier by Fender."

I did a bunch of checking around, it looks like an Affinity with the "strat" and "Affinity" removed, serial would be on the back of the headstock in that case. Kind of strange to "fake" a Squier.

Measure the body's depth in MM and compare it to a real Fender's depth, the Affinity series are something like 2-5mm thinner than a standard strat, or so.
The body looks pretty standard for a Squier, nothing suspicious there, but that headsock decal looks off. I have never seen a Squier with the bold flat black Squier by Fender logo and doesn't have 'Strat' written after 'Squier'. That also looks like a slightly weirdly shaped headstock. It looks amost like a Jazzmaster headstock shape.

That's how the logo should look, in most instances of the bold-style logo.

The sticker theory does make sense though. You can fit a Squier serial number on a sticker about an inch or so long. Dunno why someone would remove that though.
I have an imitation strat, and the squier is noticeably larger

The logo does look strange, but it's legit...it's printed into the wood, it's not a sticker or label.

I don't know what the measurements are of a real fender, but this one's body is about 41mm thick
Quote by stepchildusmc
41mm thickness would put it as a pre-2002 Squier Affinity series Stratocaster, but the headstock logo still doesn't fit. Whether it's printed on or a decal is irrelevant, Squier (and Fender) have used both methods for many years on all sorts of mdoels, as do many other manufacturers. The lack of any kind of marking on the front portion of the face of the headstock and the missing 'Strat' marking is what's suspicious, as well as the overall size and shape of the 'stock. I wouldn't cry fake just yet, but if nobody else has a clue, I'll look into it some more tomorrow when I can bug the Squier experts I know.
I feel like I've seen headstocks like this before... I just don't remember where. Like, some kind of weird budget model from Squier in some sort of pack or something. It's really bugging me, I've been researching Squier logos since I came upon this thread.
It's just to satisfy my curiosity, really...chances are fairly good i won't play it much. It was added to a trade to balance out the values, and my trade was only worth about 100 more than his.

Anything you can come up with would be appreciated, but don't stress out about it...chances are it'll be sold within the next week anyways
Quote by stepchildusmc
I'm more interested in those pickups. Metal bottom strat pups? I ain't seen those in anything but my old 70's Ibanez.
my SE special is the same way. i know mine is a 2006 or 2007 though, cuz i got it brand new when i was 11
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I snapped a few more pics before putting it back together

Anyone else think I should wash off these signatures?

Apparently it's signed by the black crows and tom petty...i think i'd be insulted if i was a famous musician being asked to sign a crappy guitar
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Apr 2, 2012,
The one above the pickguard, I'd keep, it looks kind of cool. The ones on the guard, I'd get rid of. Or get a new guard and then keep this one somewhere.
too late, they're all gone. signed guitars aren't worth much on the used market, especially when i don't really know who all the signatures belong to.

I put new strings on it and it really doesn't sound half bad...action is way too high, i'll have to go buy an allen key small enough to adjust the bolts in the trem
Quote by stepchildusmc
Tom Petty's was the silver one above the pickguard, it looked cool. The location was prime. And... it was.... TOM PETTY'S! J/K, I know what you mean.
I got this reply on a strat forum:

"Its a Squier SE Strat. These guitars come in the Strat Packs with the amplifier, string packs, picks, and a strap. The serial numbers are on the back of the headstocks on these however they are just a small sticker that peels off of most of them over the years. These are excellent guitars for modding because they are the same body and neck specs as the American Fenders so the parts are interchangeable. I have had several of these over the years and currently own one that is a great guitar to play. They are actually pretty heavy which I find gives them a little better sustain than the thinner bodied Squiers even with the small tremolo block. The pickups in them really need to be changed out because they are very thin and trebely sounding, but you will be able to find a decent set of Alnicos for under $50. Change out the cheap pots and switch while your doing the pickups too. That and a good full size trem block and you have a great guitar.

Good luck and congrats on your find."
Quote by stepchildusmc
But the body is Affinity width... and the SE's, as far as I know, always had pre-cbs sized headstocks. I'm not sure they're entirely accurate.
i checked back later and they had a bit of a debate about it...in the end it was decided it was a promotional bullet strat
Quote by stepchildusmc
the fact that it's a 130$ squier makes it legit beyond a reasonable doubt
nobody would fake an entry level guitar
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
the fact that it's a 130$ squier makes it legit beyond a reasonable doubt
nobody would fake an entry level guitar

Exactly, all the nonsense above about whether it's fake or not is more than a bit funny...

It would be like counterfeiting a "Dogs Playing Poker" picture, who would care and how would you make any money?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Exactly, all the nonsense above about whether it's fake or not is more than a bit funny...

It would be like counterfeiting a "Dogs Playing Poker" picture, who would care and how would you make any money?

Well its a legit squier. But squiers do get faked, epiphone gets faked as well. It doesnt matter what something is worth, what matters is do the people making it think they can make any money off of it.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well its a legit squier. But squiers do get faked, epiphone gets faked as well. It doesnt matter what something is worth, what matters is do the people making it think they can make any money off of it.

Show me...
Charles Darwin
people fake high end squiers and epis but not bullets and specials, respectively
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
people fake high end squiers and epis but not bullets and specials, respectively

Yep...
Charles Darwin