I own a ESP EC-50 with stock pickups. I want to upgrade those stock pickups but I have got no idea which pickups to choose! Never tested any EMGs, DiMarzio or SDs! Should I go for EMG 81/85 or DiMarzio Evo 2 or any other? No idea about SDs pickups! All I need is versatility! any suggestion whether I should go with EMGs or DiMarzio or SDs? o.O
Last edited by rioverma at Apr 2, 2012,
EMGs are great, but not for versatility. I can get quite a few different sounds out of them, but if you're looking for versatility then you should really keep away from passives. I heard a lot of good things about the seymour duncan JB and '59 combo
What amp do you have? What do you want to be able to sound like?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Amp - Roland Cube 40XL
I play Blues, Rock and Metal.
So I need versatility!
Forget about the pups, change your amp first. It'll make a bigger difference to your tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i've got the ESP Ltd EC-256 and i put the seymour duncan SH4jb/SH2n hotrodded set in and it brought the guitar to life!..... i've got EMG's in one of my LP's but i find they are a very focused sound... great for what i use that guitar for, but i need more variety with my ESP and the duncans are great!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
You can't really go wrong with an SD Custom 5/'59 combo.

That said, pickups are generally the last thing you should upgrade. 1st thing to upgrade is your amp, which is where all of your tone comes from. Especially in the case of a SS modeling amp, pickup changes will never be as pronounced as they would be with a tube amp.

And then there's the guitar itself - good wood can make all the difference. In a low end guitar, the cheap tone wood will always hold back even the most expensive pickups.

I know how tempting it is to get new pickups, because of how cheap they are, but as someone who's been down that road, it's just not worth it. You'll spend a ton of money on cheap stuff trying to get a better tone, when really what you should have done was just invest that money into a better amp and a better guitar - then the little things you try to do won't even be necessary.

My $.02.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes!, Forget the pickups, a better amp will solve your problem....plus,modeling amps make all guitars/pickups sound the same....
I used to think my peavey vyper 212 was the best amp ever, until i took an arrow to the knee.
I sold that trash and got a REAL amp! Marshall MA 212 tube combo.
thanks everyone I own a Fender Stratocaster too. I think if I sell my ESP and Roland, I can get a used better amplifier with those money! what say? o.O
Nowhere near close for an amp thats a significant step up from a Cube I'd say. Stop looking at stopgaps and save up.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Apr 4, 2012,
Stay away from the 81/85s. I have them and i like them but like others said, they are not very versatile. From what you stated you want to play several different styles and they wont suit you.
My Gear:
-Schecter Omen w/ emg's
-Ibanez xpt700 Xiphos
-Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
-Raven 100w

Don’t take life too seriously, you won’t get out alive.