Oh hay there, EG.

Recently, I've been fretting (you get it ) over which guitars I could buy. I've been playing electric guitar for 3 years now, focussing primarily on rock and metal, but have always missed the sweet sound of an acoustic guitar and the possibility to pop a few campfire songs when the opportunity arises. Despite owning an old classic guitar already (a relative once gave it to me when he stopped playing), its horrible sound and playability always kept me from practicing with it. I've decided to buy myself a semi-acoustic guitar, one that fits my personal taste. Unfortuntely, I'm clueless on what to buy. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice and tell me what affordable guitars I might like.

Here's what you'll need to know, according to the stickied guide:

Budget: 300 - 400 ish

Artists whose tone you'd like to get close to: I'm shooting for Clapton but will, obviously, not get anywhere near him anytime soon. Expect me to use this guitar to play things like Nirvana's acoustic songs or some average fingerstyle.

Preferences: I'm looking for maximum playability. As close to an electric guitar as I can get. Cutaway is kind of a must-have. 22th fret is probably not needed. I don't have any favorite brands.

Pickups: Its acoustic sound is more important to me than its electronics right now, that's all I have to say. I'm looking for good electronics, ofcourse, but have no real preferences or demands.

New or Used: I'd prefer new.

Current Gear: Epiphone Black Beauty Custom, Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp, Fender Fontman 212R amp.

No, what you need is a new amp.

Just kidding. By semi-acoustic do you mean a hollowbody, like a jazzbox?
Ah, sorry about that. I should've been more specific. No, I'm referring to an actual acoustic guitar (only a sound-box, no actual pickups and stuff) that can still be plugged into an amplifier. Do you know that I mean?

And what's wrong with my amps? :P The Fender produces an awesome clean sound, and the spider has always served me pretty well in every field.
Last edited by Bartham at Apr 3, 2012,
If you are specifically after an acoustic you should really post in the acoustic guitar forum. In theory they should help you better.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
If you are specifically after an acoustic you should really post in the acoustic guitar forum. In theory they should help you better.

+1 the acoustic forum will be much more helpful and knowledgable on acoustics than use GG&Aers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The acoustic forum would be more helpful to you.

Mad props for reading the stickies though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ah, I thought EG went for anything with electricity running through it, my bad. I'll repost this in AG. Thanks anyway!
Granted it is a bit misleading that it states 'no amplifiers allowed' when electric acoustics and acoustic amplifiers exist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Bartham

And what's wrong with my amps? :P The Fender produces an awesome clean sound, and the spider has always served me pretty well in every field.

Oh, nothing, that's just what everyone says when they see someone owns a spider. Anyways, good luck on your escapade.
In case you don't get to reposting in Acoustic soon...with your specifications, I'd go Seagull or Ovation.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd definitely recommend an ESP acoustic. Extra jumbo frets make it feel like an electric, and ESP does budget better than anybody. I bought the $200 model, and it has the quality of a $400 ibanez or dean or epiphone, etc. If you actually buy the $300 or $400 model, you'll get a rather remarkable guitar -- with good electronics and a built in tuner to boot!
You may want to check out some Ibanez acoustics, or some of the new ESP acoustics. I haven't had the chance to play one yet, but supposedly they also rock the Thin U neck - which means they would be exactly what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X