I started taking guitar seriously in December, and since then I've been using JustinGuitar to learn guitar cuz I don't have the scratch for lessons yet. It's going well, and the Beginner's Course is a godsend, but there's not a lot of "fun" material- like songs- on the site for beginners.

Right now, the songs and exercises he offers (I'm on stage 8 of the Beginner's Course) for where I am in the course are good, and while I haven't perfected them they're not challenging enough. Many of the songs he offers for my stage are too easy, i.e. just simple chord strumming. I'm getting a little bored with it, but don't know where to look for more challenging songs.

Anyone have ideas?
Quote by LucidDreem
I started taking guitar seriously in December, and since then I've been using JustinGuitar to learn guitar cuz I don't have the scratch for lessons yet. It's going well, and the Beginner's Course is a godsend, but there's not a lot of "fun" material- like songs- on the site for beginners.

Right now, the songs and exercises he offers (I'm on stage 8 of the Beginner's Course) for where I am in the course are good, and while I haven't perfected them they're not challenging enough. Many of the songs he offers for my stage are too easy, i.e. just simple chord strumming. I'm getting a little bored with it, but don't know where to look for more challenging songs.

Anyone have ideas?

1 - If they're so easy why haven't you got them perfect yet?

2 - Start learning music you actually listen to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I haven't perfected them mostly because my chord changes (actually, it's mostly just any changes involving F) aren't that smooth yet... not because of anything to do with the song itself. For example, California Dreamin by the Mamas and Papas... the actual strumming pattern is kind of complicated (for my level) but I've got it down. The only thing keeping it from sounding really good is that my chord changes to and from F are still really bumpy. I practice chord changes separately.

I haven't looked at playing music that I like for a while... that's a good idea.
Quote by LucidDreem
I haven't perfected them mostly because my chord changes (actually, it's mostly just any changes involving F) aren't that smooth yet... not because of anything to do with the song itself. For example, California Dreamin by the Mamas and Papas... the actual strumming pattern is kind of complicated (for my level) but I've got it down. The only thing keeping it from sounding really good is that my chord changes to and from F are still really bumpy. I practice chord changes separately.

I haven't looked at playing music that I like for a while... that's a good idea.

If you can't change between open chords cleanly, consistently and with enough speed then you have no business doing anything else. If you can't play the whole song then you can't play the song, it doesn't matter if you can do part of it or one hand's worth of it: you cannot play that song.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how can u say there not challenging enough if you really cant play them? one step at a time, learn the songs first
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
+1 to everything Zaphod has said.

Dont rush ahead when you dont have the basics perfect - the basics are far more important than the fancy stuff.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do