Hello there, ¸I am considering buying a PRS SE and am having a hard time finding one without a trem on it so I was thinking if I just bought one how hard and expensive it would be to have done.

My budget is $750

Any tips or recommendations would be helpful.
Last edited by Mathrez at Apr 2, 2012,
Used torero. Good trem. (could prolly afford new, but why waste the $)

Or method 2: blocking a tremolo bridge. Use taped pennies, wood, whatever.

/thread.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Apr 2, 2012,
Ever considered looking at other brands?

What Tremolo? Floyd?

If you are dead set on buying a PRS SE, You are going have to have to dig deep because the only PRS SE's in production with a trem is the Torero which has a floyd rose and the Custom 24.

IMHO, I would NOT buy a guitar and rip out the old bridge, rout and throw in a trem because there are just too many variables that can go wrong during this process, heck you can get a complete shitty(mind my language) luthier and you have just thrown away $750.

In terms of having the bridge replacement done, it depends on what tremolo you are putting in:
Floyd Rose ($200)
Fender Vintage Style Trem ($35)

and the luthier's demand (price) which can completely vary.

These, just these are your solutions as stated above:
http://www.prsguitars.com/secustom24/
http://www.prsguitars.com/setorero/
???
Last edited by solidrane at Apr 2, 2012,
solidrane, Im looking to get a prs WITHOUT a trem, I dont use tremolo`s so I`m just trying to find a SE with a solid bridge. I was also considering Ibanez or Agile but PRS is what im interested in most right now because from what I know they have a very high build quality.

I guess im just being picky because I want a double cutaway SE, I was looking at the Tim Mahoney model: http://www.prsguitars.com/setimmahoney/index.php

But that colour kinda bugs me, I don`t know if getting a guitar repainted would be more expensive than just getting another SE and putting a solid bridge on it.
Last edited by Mathrez at Apr 2, 2012,
PRS SE Custom HB

These run around $600, and are fantastic guitars, stoptail-wraparound...fantastic..its going to be my next guitar purchase..a buddy of mine lucked into one for 400 bucks.

Evem though its a semo hollow, its extremely versatile, the only thing I would be hesitant to play would be blazing distortion (Pantera, DevilDriver, anything with unreasonable ammounts of distortion)...

The pickups are quite good as well.

And this, for all your distortion needs...solid bridge. PRS SE MM Baritone
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by Mathrez
solidrane, Im looking to get a prs WITHOUT a trem, I dont use tremolo`s so I`m just trying to find a SE with a solid bridge. I was also considering Ibanez or Agile but PRS is what im interested in most right now because from what I know they have a very high build quality.

WELL SHIT, i skimmed through the post way too fast! My apologies.

Honestly, the bridges on the PRS SE line are really solid... on par with most of the trully high end PRS.

Most of the PRS SE line have the same exact wrap around bridge...
???
Your not getting a good hardtail made in japan ibanez for that $$.
Please do not consider ibanez, you will be consistantly disappointed by indo and chinese models.

Cant comment on agile.
That HB looks great, problem is that my playing is split between playing really clean stuff and distorted doom and death metal.
There exists no shortage of hardtail prs se guitars.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Mathrez
That HB looks great, problem is that my playing is split between playing really clean stuff and distorted doom and death metal.

why no trem? Ease of tuning changes?
the post that contains the semi hollow contains an added Baritone, but IDK how well it handles cleans...prolly just fine, being a PRS.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by Controlpanel
why no trem? Ease of tuning changes?
the post that contains the semi hollow contains an added Baritone, but IDK how well it handles cleans...prolly just fine, being a PRS.

I just don`t use trems when I play, and as for the Baritone, I`ve played baritones before and they are uncomfortable for me to play.
if you can't find a prs se with a fixed bridge i doubt you could find a gallon of milk in a refrigerator.

seriously.

what kind of neck do you prefer? fat? thin?

what body shape do you prefer? double or single cutaway?

with prs a hardtail generally means 22 frets, if that matters.
then get a custom 24 and block the trem like stated in post #2. it's simple and works. (plenty of pros do this, eric clapton for one).

it has a thin neck and 24 frets.
^that

But, out of curiosity, why do you want a PRS SE if you prefer thin necks and 24 frets?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
^ but he prefers 24 frets
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Have you considered buying a SE Tim Mahoney? It's a 24 fret wide thin neck & a hardtail...

http://prsguitars.com/setimmahoney/specs.php

And you can get one, brand-spankin'-new for less than your budget. Heck, GC even has coupons to cut the price lower. They'll ship to your local store so you don't have to pay shipping. And they have a helluva return policy...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Tim-Mahoney-Electric-Guitar-106532278-i1910355.gc?esid=SE+Tim+Mahoney
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Apr 3, 2012,
I never use my trem on my CE, but i haven't blocked it.

It doesn't get in the way at all. Trem arms are easy things to remove. Unless your competing for worlds strongest man i don't think you'll be throwing the trem outta tune that much, my PRS never does.

If i was you, i'd get the SE24 and try it without blocking the trem.

If your like 'oh boy, this isn't working' block it.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour