In a tab I saw that one of the notes was an x. I knew that was a palm mute so I played it that way. But when I saw the youtube video of the guy playing it, he wasn't palm muting but he was tapping the low e and the a string with his palm... (he was still fingerpicking other notes at the same time)

How do I do this? Or is it not palm muting and there is some other name?
He has a few things going on. Some parts he's just palm muting, others he's palm muting and thumb slapping the lower two strings, one part he is also using the heel of his hand percussivly, and once in awhile he's picking the lower strings and lightly palming to deaden the strings slightly.

Even though the techniques vary slightly, you have to learn and practice each one seperately, but more importantly,first be sure you are at a level close to where you have the rhythm, chords, and fingerpicking down.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by BlackbirdPie
He has a few things going on. Some parts he's just palm muting, others he's palm muting and thumb slapping the lower two strings, one part he is also using the heel of his hand percussivly, and once in awhile he's picking the lower strings and lightly palming to deaden the strings slightly.

Even though the techniques vary slightly, you have to learn and practice each one seperately, but more importantly,first be sure you are at a level close to where you have the rhythm, chords, and fingerpicking down.

I think on the part where he plays notes at the same time he is palm muting and the parts where he isn't playing notes he just slaps the lower two strings. Right?
Quote by filthydoughboy
I think on the part where he plays notes at the same time he is palm muting and the parts where he isn't playing notes he just slaps the lower two strings. Right?

He is definately muting the 5th and 6th strings when he slaps with the thumb pick.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Bump. I'm really curious as to how to accomplish the part from 0:50 to about 1:05 (he creates a beat WHILE playing by hitting the strings). What exactly is the name of that technique?