So I am playing in a Glam Metal band, but I don't have a suitable guitar. I do however have some Telecaster parts including the body and the neck. I want you guys to help me pick a new finish for the guitar as well as new pickups and such to make this my 80s glam guitar. This guitar will be on the cover of the album we are currently recording, and whoever comes up the the finish that I choose will get a free signed copy.

here she is in her current sad state

also if you feel so inclined, here is the band's page https://www.facebook.com/dingoglammetal
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Apr 2, 2012,
Hmm Silver or Pink sparkle paint? lol. And if it's glam metal, try and rout the bridge pickup for a humbucker or at least get a really high output or stacked single coil. I haven't been an 80s metal fan in ages so I'm afraid thats about all i can say.
GEAR:
1987 Ibanez RG550 w/ DiMarzio PAF Pro and Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
I would say go neon green. Put some LEDS (maybe purple, or pink) under the pickups, and yea get some stacked pickups, or route for humbucker.
Leave it how it is that thing looks cool.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Just paint it in a bright metallic paint, colour of your choice - as long as it sparkles. And you're gonna want to route it out to take DiMarzzio Super Distortions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would post some constructive ideas but I really don't want a free signed copy.

You do know 'Glam 2' or w/e is just 'Death to all but metal' yea? I'm sure Steel Panther stole that riff themselves so...it's copying copied music.

Anyway, time for a non constructive idea.
Get some condoms or boobs on the guitar, that's 'Glam'.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I'm from the 80's.. Go with a shocking Pink.. Look at the Ibanez guitars on their website that are RG and S series 25th Anniversery guitars.. I'd go with either Shocking Pink.. or what I thought used to be called Road Flare Red.. But, I like the Yellow.. Look at it.. Go with a Neon color. Get some colored pickups from Dimarzio such as the Distortion in the bridge and a single coil in the neck such as a Chopper.. Both are perfect for 80s rock, and you can get them in different colors to make it really stand out. Good luck and remember to play like the 80's bands.. you have to be good... :-). The 80's rocked man!
Tim
Oh, almost forgot.. If you can order a neck with a reverse or pointy headstock you'll be doing good.. At least get a reverse Tele headstock.. Maple neck with Maple fingerboard would be better too, but if you can't afford that, stay with the paint jobs! Good luck again
God speed
Tim
Quote by link no1
I would post some constructive ideas but I really don't want a free signed copy.

You do know 'Glam 2' or w/e is just 'Death to all but metal' yea? I'm sure Steel Panther stole that riff themselves so...it's copying copied music.

Oh ****, it is.

I didn't even notice it...
****, now I gotta rewrite.

I loved that riff too

EDIT: **** it.
I'll use it anyway.
Steel Panther has lifted riffs from bands, so I doubt they'll care.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 3, 2012,
the finish is going to be changed, unless one of you wants to buy it from me and I can then purchase an unfinished body...
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Know any spray painters? Get him to paint it next time he's doing something bright like candy apple red or electric blue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Needs a locking trem?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
needs a floyd
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

the only idiot in the 80's using a tele was bruce.

goddammit i just got born in the usa stuck in my head...

fcuk you.
Scallop those frets, at least top 4, like a gangsta!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by gregs1020
the only idiot in the 80's using a tele was bruce.

goddammit i just got born in the usa stuck in my head...

fcuk you.

I'm limited to what I have on hand, unless someone wants to buy the tele, this is the guitar that is gonna be 80sified
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

i mean the obvious answer is to charvel it up the best you can. almost any flourescent color would work, pink, green, yellow.

or go sparkle. silver would be my pic so it takes any color light well. but red, orange, etc would be fine.

really, any traditional butterscotch always works on a tele.

still, 80's was all about the humbuckers and superstrats. tele's weren't glam metal unless it had no pickguard, was a solid color, and had a lone bucker in the bridge, a pointy headstock and a black floyd rose.

i vote silver sparkle because it would stand out on stage.

the cheap answer is to go complete white out.

or all black i guess.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 3, 2012,
could you do a sparkle finish?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

i never have.

ippon could probably walk me through it. i'm sure someone sells big sparkle paint that isn't complete crap to work with.

plus if i screw it up just say it's where a coke vvhore sneezed on it. that shit happened in the 80's a lot.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 3, 2012,
The guys at GB&C were talking about sparkle paint a little while ago. Either do a search or ask that lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Paint it with a mixture of blow and whiskey.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Throw a freakin' floyd rose on there......it's not 80's without a fukin' floyd.
HUMBUCKERS HUMBUCKERS HUMBUCKERS.
The paint job is the most crucial though.....never choose black.
Quote by gregs1020
i never have.

ippon could probably walk me through it. i'm sure someone sells big sparkle paint that isn't complete crap to work with.

plus if i screw it up just say it's where a coke vvhore sneezed on it. that shit happened in the 80's a lot.

This is a very involved project and I hope you charge appropriately!

Read this thread: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/77345-meloncaster-project-aka-son-buttercaster.html

To be honest I'd keep it as it is in terms of paint job!

I'd probably whack a neck with a maple fretboard on it though (and a black headstock...or matching if you can do the fabric finish! =P).

Probably pair it with a black pickguard and white pickups too. =)
White body, white pickguard, with gold Hardware. Or Red body, red pickguard, with black hardware.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
My old Ibby Blazer (now modded like crazy) from the 80's was painted in what looks exactly like candy apple red. Looks like it was painted just like you'd do a car. ie a layer of silver undercoat. I've always wanted to get a car spray painter that works in such exotic paint to do a guitar body for me. It would last forever. Sure it may stop the guitar "breathing" but on an 80's glam guitar, who gives a crap? It's probably going to have hot DiMarzzio humbuckers in it anyway, as if subtle nuances in timber behaviour is going to have any effect.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification