Page 1 of 2
UPDATE:
PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DIRTY PICS I POSTED OF IT AND TELL ME WHAT KIND OF ISSUES MAY BE CAUSED FROM THAT! ON PAGE 2!

Hopefully this is the right place.

Just bought a brand new 6505+ off ebay. When I got the amp it appeared that it was dropped on its bottom right metal corners since they were dented inward. But I figured it wasn't a big deal since I turned the amp on and it sounded great. So after about 5 hours of play time and over about 10 days I am having big problems with it. While in the middle of playing the guitar it went into a static sound. Almost like I had an effects pedal making it sound like static. It would cut in and out and almost sound like it was pulsating. Then I turned it off. Started freaking out. Checked all my cords, outlets, jacks and even put new batteries in my EMG's. So now it doesnt sound like static and the sound isn't cutting in and out but now the tone sounds atrocious. Its very trebally, very thin, and sounds very fuzzy. There is also a constant hum that was not there before. This amp used to be VERY quiet.

Unfortunately I cant file an insurance claim with USPS cause I stupidly threw the shipping box out since I thought the amp was fine... Guess that was my biggest mistake. The box it came in was pretty beat up.

Anyone has any ideas? Is what happens when you have bad tubes? Or does this sound like a bigger problem??
Last edited by osakamitsu at Apr 14, 2012,
I'm no expert, but from all my time on here, that very much sounds like tube issues. Id definitely look into new power tubes. It would be especially nice if someone who knew what they were doing could confirm.
I was hoping it would be something simple... so where are the tubes exactly? I see the 4 big ones in the back. Anyone know where the smaller ones are?

Also which are the pres and powers? Are the small ones the pre and the large ones the powers? I had a 5150 and you could see all the tubes from the back without taking the panel off. With this 6505 all I see are 5 large Ruby gcm-str's. Also if I put the exact same tube in its place do I still need to have it biased?
It might also be possible the tubes have wobbled free a bit, and aren't contacting properly. Happened to me. So might pay to check if theyre seated properly.

It's definitely tube related though. If its used then it's just the luck of the draw, but you say you bought it brand new? So they will be covered by warranty I would imagine, so the seller if it's a shop? Again if brand spanking new I'd imagine it's from a shop, then they need to replace them.
( I feel that sentence is grammacly incorrect)
Well I bought it technically used off someone on ebay that bought it for his son and his son didnt want it... But it was never used. So its technically used and technically brand new. But he did give all the blank warranty info to fill out with it. My problem is, is peavey going to accept ebay as the seller for the warranty? Will they accept a receipt or some sort of paper I print off from ebay saying I bought it there? I have to show a receipt for the warranty to be valid. Not sure if ebay counts...

Also when your tubes wobbled free were you getting what I described??

And whats the best way to located a broken tube?
Last edited by osakamitsu at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by osakamitsu
I was hoping it would be something simple... so where are the tubes exactly? I see the 4 big ones in the back. Anyone know where the smaller ones are?

Also which are the pres and powers? Are the small ones the pre and the large ones the powers? I had a 5150 and you could see all the tubes from the back without taking the panel off. With this 6505 all I see are 5 large Ruby gcm-str's. Also if I put the exact same tube in its place do I still need to have it biased?

i am not meaning this in a mean or unfriendly way, but if that is the extent knowledge on tubes, i would take it in.
two things first though.

push on them make sure they are tightly in the socket. DO NOT try to turn as they are pull out. so press down. check your speaker cable, i had a cable that did such thing and i swapped it literally 10 minutes before i clicked the "checkout" from Doug's. tubes

however i believe the 6505 are fixed biased or cathode biased. cant remember which, but you may just to pull in and spray with Deoxit and gently persuade new tubes in.

do some research
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Both my speaker cords are brand new... and they are nice ones.

I actually did do some research on whether or not its fixed or not and I have sen people say its both ways... I havent seen an official source say either way yet though.

I did find this on the peavey forum. People are arguing back and forth about it.

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2911

Ill go read the manuel...

I did put new tubes in my 5150 years ago... So I at least know how to pull them out and plug new ones in. I see in the manuel it says it has a bias adjust system. But I dont know if that means I have to bias it or not... or it I want to it my choice?

Well Manuel doesn't really help but the link above makes it look like it plug in play.
Last edited by osakamitsu at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by osakamitsu
Both my speaker cords are brand new... and they are nice ones.

I actually did do some research on whether or not its fixed or not and I have sen people say its both ways... I havent seen an official source say either way yet though.

I did find this on the peavey forum. People are arguing back and forth about it.

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2911

Ill go read the manuel...

I did put new tubes in my 5150 years ago... So I at least know how to pull them out and plug new ones in. I see in the manuel it says it has a bias adjust system. But I dont know if that means I have to bias it or not... or it I want to it my choice?

probably is tube related. do the pencil test and see what happens. JJ's seem to be probably the best for either power or pre, and are a good bang for the buck. i think i read the other day a few people liked lower gain tube in V1 to clean out some fizzyness. i am not really a 5150 fan but thats about what i know on 5150.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Who's taking bets that a tube just rattled loose in its socket? Must be paying pretty short odds.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and ask if you've tried another guitar?

Because sometimes wierd things happen. When I first got my 6505+, it sounded beautiful for the first couple days, then it started to cut out and sound static-y. I was so sure it had to be something wrong with the new amp, that I didn't even think to check the guitar.

Turned out the input jack wire had come loose, and was randomly connecting/disconnecting -- wasn't the amp at all. That sort of thing happens to me quite often, and I end up chasing my tail.

All I'm saying is cover all your bases.
I am having the issues with my 6505+. I had purchased the amplifier brand new and after around 6 - 8 months, it was beginning to sound just as Osakamitsu has described. Can anyone else confirm that it is a Power Tube problem as I have already replaced the Pre-amp Tubes.
Thanks.
When I bought my 6534+ it sounded great for a coupke weeks then died completly. 2 preamp tubes died and a resistor blew. All under warranty. Couple months later amp Dirs again. This time it was the PI and FX loop buffer. Replaced those and hasnt had problems since.

Peaveys tubes suck
Sorry I havent had a chance to check and see if the tubes wobbled loose yet. But the 4 in the back look to have brackets around the bottom that get screwed down. Seems like it would be hard for those to wobble loose. I havent checked the others yet.

Its not my guitar... I wish it was that simple.

Also I think I forgot to mention that there is also a hum that wasnt there before.
Ok guys I need more advice. I just retubed the WHOLE things. A nice mixture of Tung-Sols, Ruby's, and JJ's. I researched them quite heavily only to be disappointed by still having the amp issues. Si my next question is... if not the tubes... waht else could it be??

I have an old beat up Peavey 4X12 cab that I usually play through. I traded a $100 sampler for it and it was beat up when i got it. Its never given me issues before though. Could my cab be my problem?
Dirty Power perhaps?

Happens to me, have you tried playing through a Surge protector?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Im not at home right now to check but I dont think it hums anymore at all. There was a hum before I changed the tubes, but I didnt notice one after the re tube.
Quote by osakamitsu
Im not at home right now to check but I dont think it hums anymore at all. There was a hum before I changed the tubes, but I didnt notice one after the re tube.

Please explain you concerns now after the re-tube.
The sound is still very thin sounding. Almost like staticy, fizzy or fuzzy. It sounds like garbage. knob adjustments to nothing do anything to help it. Almost like there is no mids or lows in it. I have never had it above 1.5 on the volume. Every tube is brand new as of today. It almost sounds like there is a really crappy static effects pedal on it. When the static first appeard it was straight static sounding. After turning the amp off and back on the static went away only to leave a staticy effect along with a nasty hum. The hum is gone now but its hard to explain but you couldnt hear notes at first and now you can. They just sound very fuzzy...

There is also a crackle sound when switching between channels.
Please excuse the double post. Its acting weird.

Actually one thing that might be causing an issue... Its REALLY dusty inside the amp. There animal hair in it as well... Im guessing the pots can be affected by this as well as the tubes being heated irregularly. I received it like this. I want to clean it out BADLY but I want to see if I can get it to work first since I have an open claim against the guy on ebay currently.

Here some pics of the dust. These pics are before I retubed it. Once I retubed it i did clean it up around the tube sockets. Its pretty gross. It will turn a paper towel black from one swipe. lol. The guy said it was new and never used, however once talking with him more it sounds like it was used lightly and after seeing the inside of the amp you can tell it sat for a long time with no cover on it and possibly acted as a cat bed.

http://i.imgur.com/phsBf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4nY2X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ifczG.jpg
(just so you know, in case you cant tell how dirty it is... the weird texture at the bottom is the dust settling pattern as it fell though the back mesh... The real color is the darker color being spotted in there by the pattern)

http://i.imgur.com/LgRjM.jpg
lol yeah well it didnt resize it.... if you can force it to resize Im not sure how...

I guess I could turn them into link... Ill do that. lol

EDIT:
fixed. Turned them into links.
Not to piss on your strawberries but I hope this is a used problem and not some kind of typical problem which soon occurs with a peavey 6505+..Im buying one next monday you see..
I seriously doubt this is typical. I have a 5150 that I have had for almost 15 years now. I still play it. This guy is just trying to take advantage of me. I can just hope and pray that ebay sides with me and gets me my money back other wise Im going to have a hefty bill at the repair guy and end up paying way more for this amp than I could have gotten it for new at guitar center.

Just sucks cause ebay wants me to get repair estimates. No one will give me an esitmate without charging a bench fee. I shouldnt have to get it repaired. I was told this was a new amp. I paid for a new amp and thats what I should get. Not some thing that was used as a cat bed in some guys basement. Makes me want to stay away from ebay.
Not sure what I am supposed to be looking at with those pictures. You call that dusty? If only my amps were ever that clean.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
amp looks fine.

i'd get it checked over by a tech and have it rebiased
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Cathbard
Not sure what I am supposed to be looking at with those pictures. You call that dusty? If only my amps were ever that clean.

Of course I call that dusty. It was supposed to be BRAND NEW. Whens the last time you bought a brand new amp full of dirt and animal hair??

If your amps look like that then wow you need to take better care of them. I dont let mine get like that.
Well I was hoping to find some simple/quick fixes... I didn't want to take it to a tech and spend a lot of money fixing it until I knew I was stuck with it. I didnt mind buying tubes cause my 5150 and carvin heads both all need new tubes and I can just stick them in there.
i dunno man. that amp looks pretty clean to me.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by osakamitsu
If your amps look like that then wow you need to take better care of them. I dont let mine get like that.

Yeah... look I agree that its not 'brand new' but seriously that's not that dirty.
Taking 'better care' of your amp by opening it up to clean it is more likely to wreck something than a bit of dust....

Quote by osakamitsu
Well I was hoping to find some simple/quick fixes

Outside of swapping tubes there really isn't a lot of cheap DIY fixes... have you tried switching everything - guitars, cables, power, even amps and so on to ensure it is certainly the amp that is faulty.

Did you give the sockets a clean when you swapped tubes?

Is there anything else in your chain - pedals, tuners - anything?
Yep I switched everything and cleaned up the tubes areas when I put new tubes in it... I know Im running out of quick fixes, just hoping there was something I havent thought of.
Did you hit the sockets and pins with some contact cleaner when you cleaned up?
Paint a clearer picture of the actual fault for us, is it on both channels?

Really just clutching at straws now....
Dust is not your problem.

Have you plugged a different guitar in? Rule out EVERYTHING in front of the amp first.

After that, you really don't have anymore "quick fixes." I'd take it in to a tech at that point if I were you. It's not a simple amp circuit there.
Page 1 of 2