I only have an amateur setup here and it goes like this: i have a guitar which is attached to my Boss ME-25 which is then plugged to my PC via a USB cable and i seem to be suffering a significant delay which is affecting the quality of what i record by being off in the timing. I was wondering if there is some way to eliminate the delay, thanks.
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
Use a proper USB interface, problem gone.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Or...
Adjust the latency settings in your recording software.

I love this forum...

Q Hey guys, I need a new distortion pedal.
A No you don't, buy a tube amp.

Q Hey guys, I need help choosing a decent cheap amp.
A No you don't, buy a tube amp.

Q Hey guys, I need help with my recordings.
A No you don't, dump you're cheap $hit and blow a load of money on expensive gear.

USB interfaces are not that expensive. The Latency is caused by the time is takes for the computer process the sound. You can not turn down physics to simply fix latency issues.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah I agree, I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a couple of months back after good reviews on here and elsewhere, cracking little unit and I get 0 latency when recording layered tracks.
Obviously I could have spent a lot more but it's perfect for what I need and I have the option of using 2 mics to record my amp.
What I've done in the past is monitor direct (so I'm hearing my guitar, or my voice, or my bass..) before the computer does - pre-processing. I pick muted noise along with an eight-count (eight "click" sounds in time with the metronome), and then I dragged the wave-form to line up with the drums.

In my case I used EZDrummer, and the pre-count was a high hat. A hat and a muted "click" on your strings should line up just about perfectly.

That will eliminate latency, but you have to do it before you listen to the recording. It's kind of a pain, but it does indeed work. For those of us who live with less-than-ideal gear (given I am married and have a young son) we have to do things like this, and actually it deepens your understanding of and respect for better gear when you get it.

It's called a work-around. You might google "direct recording latency work-around" and see what pops up.

Good luck!
Quote by ChemicalFire
USB interfaces are not that expensive. The Latency is caused by the time is takes for the computer process the sound. You can not turn down physics to simply fix latency issues.

exactly you can only make your computer run so fast to process the sound. which is why you have latency. even some interfaces have quite a bit of latency (i am looking at you M-Audio Mobile-Pre)

Quote by Beezerk
Yeah I agree, I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a couple of months back after good reviews on here and elsewhere, cracking little unit and I get 0 latency when recording layered tracks.
Obviously I could have spent a lot more but it's perfect for what I need and I have the option of using 2 mics to record my amp.

how do you like your scarlett 2i2? i have heard mixed reviews on it. and usually the negative reviews are latency (not saying you are getting it, its prob a quality control thing that is random)
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 3, 2012,
Latency is a non-issue if you do as I suggested.

Doesn't hurt to record a pre-count anyway, just in case.
Not sure why buying an interface is an issue if you need to keep noise down, if you use it as a DI infact it's perfect, you can track with headphones and not make a sound.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Only problem with headphone recording is that you won't know what it sounds like in a room until later. The advantage is you could always re-amp it, though, if you were happy with something and wanted to just improve the sound of it in a mix.
Quote by FireHawk
exactly you can only make your computer run so fast to process the sound. which is why you have latency. even some interfaces have quite a bit of latency (i am looking at you M-Audio Mobile-Pre)

how do you like your scarlett 2i2? i have heard mixed reviews on it. and usually the negative reviews are latency (not saying you are getting it, its prob a quality control thing that is random)

Loving it mate, no latency at all in Reaper when I record while listening to a drum track pre I've made, even with multiple layers I don't get latency. Getting the levels right is easy however there's not a huge amount of headroom when you get a decent signal, if you know what I mean but for the £100 I paid for it I can't complain at all.