Morning, AG

Recently, I've been fretting (you get it ) over which guitars I could buy. I've been playing electric guitar for 3 years now, focussing primarily on rock and metal, but have always missed the sweet sound of an acoustic guitar and the possibility to pop a few campfire songs when the opportunity arises. Despite owning an old classic guitar already (a relative once gave it to me when he stopped playing), its horrible sound and playability always kept me from practicing with it. I've decided to buy myself a semi-acoustic guitar (as in, acoustic guitar than can be plugged into an amplifier, not a jazzbox), one that fits my personal taste. Unfortuntely, I'm clueless on what to buy. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice and tell me what affordable guitars I might like.

Here's what you'll need to know, according to a stickied guide:

Budget: 300 - 400 ish

Artists whose tone you'd like to get close to: I'm shooting for Clapton but will, obviously, not get anywhere near him anytime soon. Expect me to use this guitar to play things like Nirvana's acoustic songs or some average fingerstyle.

Preferences: I'm looking for maximum playability. As close to an electric guitar as I can get. Cutaway is kind of a must-have. 22th fret is probably not needed. I prefer steel strings over everything else. I don't have any favorite brands.

Pickups: Its acoustic sound is more important to me than its electronics right now, that's all I have to say. I'm looking for good electronics, ofcourse, but have no real preferences or demands.

New or Used: I'd prefer new.

Current Gear: Epiphone Black Beauty Custom, Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp, Fender Fontman 212R amp.

Go to Feedback Rotterdam and try some Squier Vintage Mordern Strats. Pretty nice guitars
I just got me a Taylor GS Mini two weeks ago. Sounds great and plays great. You can get it off amazon for $499, which is a bit above your ideal price, but its well worth it. Comes with a great travel bag and taylor also make an after market pickup for it for around $75. Its not a cutaway, but its awesomeness more than makes up for it
Seagull or Ovation for a more acoustic guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm not really up for a mini-guitar, to be honest. But the Seagull looks really nice. Anything I should know about Seagulls? What are the pro's/con's? Did your friend bump into something?
Freind of mine has a fender, though I don't know the model name, but it was designed to play like a strat, which it does. I learned on a strat, so it was a familiar feel for me. It has a cutaway, it's electro-acoustic, has a nice tone overall as well. It cost him only a few hundred dollars at the local music shop, and it is a real nice instrument to play. Sounds good unplugged or plugged in.
Seagulls are kind of a big bang for the buck- they have a really good sound that some have compared to guitars with extra zeros left of the decimals. They are well made and, to my eye, quite nice to behold- not the same old same old.

Ovations, of all thë acoustic guitars I can think of, have a neck most like that of an electric. That is one of the reasons why the shredders and maestros like Kaki King and Al Di Meola favor them. They do have a brighter sound compared to most other guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Anyone have any suggestions for a good acoustic guitar song? I'm into like classical songs like Neil young anything with a good acustic guitar part really...any suggestions?
Quote by Bartham
Morning, AG

Recently, I've been fretting (you get it ) over which guitars I could buy.
OK, the only way I'm accepting that awful pun, is if English is your second language....
Quote by Bartham
I've decided to buy myself a semi-acoustic guitar (as in, acoustic guitar than can be plugged into an amplifier, not a jazzbox), one that fits my personal taste.
I'm going to suggest you drop the term, "semi-acoustic". If you insist on sticking with that terminology, I'm going to recommend a Gibson ES-335, or a Taylor T-5, both of which are well above your budget, and I wouldn't take either one of them to the beach.

Oddly, here in the states we call full bodied acoustic guitars, acoustic electrics", but in Europe "electric-acoustic" seems to be the norm.

Moving on:
Quote by mack1992
Freind of mine has a fender, though I don't know the model name, but it was designed to play like a strat, which it does. I learned on a strat, so it was a familiar feel for me. It has a cutaway, it's electro-acoustic, has a nice tone overall as well. It cost him only a few hundred dollars at the local music shop, and it is a real nice instrument to play. Sounds good unplugged or plugged in.
What springs to mind here is the Fender "Sonoran SCE". Linked here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-sonoran-sce-acoustic-electric-guitar/h78859 It has a Strat style "soft C' shaped neck that plays quickly. They're quite bright sounding, and have decent electronics. (It's also a solid top guitar).

In your neck of the woods, "Crafter" guitars are a popular brand. Some of them have good reputations, and they have a enormous selection of models. Can't say which one would suit you best, they're not in huge quantities here in the US. Here's Crafter's site: http://craftereurope.com/

Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, the only way I'm accepting that awful pun, is if English is your second language.... :p

It is. And hey, you've got to give me props for making a pun in a foreign language. It's not easy.

Anyway, electric-acoustic it is what I'm looking for, then. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been calling them semi-acoustic for years and noone has ever corrected me. :P Now I can finally look for a new guitar while using the proper terminology. ^-^

Seagull is brought up a lot, so I'll definitely look after one of those. While I'm at it, I'll also try out Ovations and Fenders. It kind of depends on what the local stores have on display, as I definitely want to play on a guitar before deciding to buy it.

Thanks a lot, guys! You'll hear from me!