i'v heard that tube amps sound louder than solid states for guitar amps.. is it the same for bass amps?? if i want a tube bass head to deliver the loudness of a 300-400W solid state amp, do i need a 300-400W tube head or less?? if less, how much should be the proper equivalent??
It really all depends. I mean, sure, you can get a 300w tube bass amp, but if your guitarist is only using a 30w amp, and there is just a drummer, then no.

That being said, buy a Verellen Meatsmoke.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by bluewaters999
i'v heard that tube amps sound louder than solid states for guitar amps.. is it the same for bass amps?? if i want a tube bass head to deliver the loudness of a 300-400W solid state amp, do i need a 300-400W tube head or less?? if less, how much should be the proper equivalent??

honestly an all tube bass head isn't usually needed. bass tends to be run clean so you are just looking for clean headroom. a 300 watt tube head like an Ampeg SVT will weigh a ton and a 100 watt one might not give you the clean headroom. if you look most bass heads are solid state these days. some have a tube preamp which may be a good way to go.
Yes most bass amps are SS - but the SVT is still the king. An overweight king that needs a crane to move around but king nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes most bass amps are SS - but the SVT is still the king. An overweight king that needs a crane to move around but king nonetheless.

yeah i can remember helping the bass player from my band in the 80s move his and god was it heavy. the 6 - 10" cab he played it through wasn't lite either.
Quote by Cathbard

svt svt svt whoooooo.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Cathbard

**** yeah SVT.

That said, though, TS, like it's already been said, almost every bass head these days is SS because bassists are usually just looking for maximum clean headroom, and it takes a lot more power to push out those lower frequencies efficiently.

You can get more wattage in a lighter package with SS circuitry than you can with tube circuitry.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--