Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, please suggest the cabinet and Distortion should it with Sum 41 and Blink 182 music. Thks a lot. Another question, should I go for a VOX AC30c2 with a cab or JCM800 with a cab.
You won't need a distortion with an 800.

What's your budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You won't need a distortion with an 800.

What's your budget?

Under 500 Euro would be great. JCM 800 does not have built in distortion
the 800 should still provide enough breakup and distortion for that type of music though. Neither bands you mentioned use a lot of distortion.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
"built in distortion"? hmmmm...my friend, what amp are you currently playing? Also, you're probably going to want to just boost the 800 with an overdrive.

As for a cab, look for a Framus 2x12.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^this, just boost it with an OD
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by LaidBack
"built in distortion"? hmmmm...my friend, what amp are you currently playing? Also, you're probably going to want to just boost the 800 with an overdrive.

As for a cab, look for a Framus 2x12.

At the moment, I am using iRig for iPad through a Logitech PA. Actually I dont really like extra pedals but I saw the JCM 800 only has one channel. Should I choose the Vox or JCM?
Quote by psp_portableboy
At the moment, I am using iRig for iPad through a Logitech PA. Actually I dont really like extra pedals but I saw the JCM 800 only has one channel. Should I choose the Vox or JCM?

You can just use your volume knob on your guitar guitar to go from dirty to clean.
Well Sum 41 appears to use Marshall DSLs. And according to a quick Google search, Tom Delonge uses a JCM900 for his cleans and a Triple Rectifier for his dirty tones.

A JCM800 will get you approximately their tones...not so much Blink's though. So that rules out the Vox.

And just because something only has one channel, it doesn't mean that it can't get dirty. Crank the gain knob, use your volume knob on your guitar for the cleans. Or use an overdrive to boost.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Well Sum 41 appears to use Marshall DSLs. And according to a quick Google search, Tom Delonge uses a JCM900 for his cleans and a Triple Rectifier for his dirty tones.

A JCM800 will get you approximately their tones...not so much Blink's though. So that rules out the Vox.

And just because something only has one channel, it doesn't mean that it can't get dirty. Crank the gain knob, use your volume knob on your guitar for the cleans. Or use an overdrive to boost.

Thanks a lot! In your opinion, should I get the AC30C2 or the JCM800. I knew that Tom used Vox and Sum 41 use JCM and both of them are nice. I play Punk rock!
Quote by psp_portableboy
Under 500 Euro would be great. JCM 800 does not have built in distortion

lolwut?

hit it with an od. or a couple of ods.

if you want more gain, you could consider a laney gh50L. far as i'm aware it's basically a hot-rodded 800 with a footswitchable added gain stage (so more available dirt and you can footswitch back to less).

since you're in europe, if you need two channels a traynor ycv50b on thomann might be worth a look, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut?

hit it with an od. or a couple of ods.

if you want more gain, you could consider a laney gh50L. far as i'm aware it's basically a hot-rodded 800 with a footswitchable added gain stage (so more available dirt and you can footswitch back to less).

since you're in europe, if you need two channels a traynor ycv50b on thomann might be worth a look, too.

Big +1
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I spot somebody that doesn't know how to use a single channel amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by LaidBack
Big +1

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I'm bad at these amplifier stuffs. At the moment, I am using iRig for iPad through a Logitech PA. It is actually very good because I have so many amp and effects. But I cannot activate the effect during playing (have to touch the screen) so I want to get a new one. Thks a lot guys!
Just put the iPad on the floor and step on it like a stompbox.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'm guessing you use the JCM 800 simulation on the irig and you're getting your idea of its tone from that.

Shame on you.

Go ahead and get the 800 and don't even think about looking back in regret because you wont have to.
Quote by JBailey23
I'm guessing you use the JCM 800 simulation on the irig and you're getting your idea of its tone from that.

Shame on you.

Go ahead and get the 800 and don't even think about looking back in regret because you wont have to.

No, the iRig has only amp from the IK Multimedia which is not Marshall or any marks. They have some Fender pedals but it is quite bad. I need to buy a real amp because I cannot activate from clean to distortion during playing
Quote by darkwolf291
Asking for a distortion pedal for a JCM800 is like trying to stop a freight train with a piece of paper.
It's stupid and makes no damned sense.

Sorry, I would like to ask how can I activate the distortion while playing, because the JCM 800 does not have the footswitch.
The point darkwolf was making is that the 800 has plenty and most likely the perfect distortion for the sound you're looking for. If you want cleans however you'll have to roll back the volume knob on your guitar to "clean" up the sound. The 800 can either be clean or balls out rock and roll all dependent where the gain knob is.

It sounds like you are adamant for a 2 channel though with cleans AND distortion. In this case look at the JCM 900 and 2000s with 2 channels. which have footswitches to go between channels

If you can afford it which it sounds like you don't have that problem I'd still go with the 800.
Last edited by JBailey23 at Apr 3, 2012,
set it up for distortion

roll back guitar volume to get clean (ish) tones

use an overdrive pedal to boost it to higher gain tones
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkwolf291
You could also just buy a separate clean amp down the road and A/B them

Maybe a JCM 2000 through a 1960 Marshall cab, with MXR Dime. What do u think?
Quote by Cathbard
I spot somebody that doesn't know how to use a single channel amp.

This.

Volume knobs are your friend.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Marshalls have all the distortion you need bro, and i think everyone can agree no matter what JCM model it is it'll have a better sound than any distortion pedal. I love mxr pedals but i have a feeling the dime pedal will make me want to poke my ear drums out.

listen to darkwolf, he knows whats up

EDIT:

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMSRAbBNjdg

no distortion pedal can get this sound
Last edited by JBailey23 at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by darkwolf291
Or.
a JCM800 boosted with an overdrive for dirt
with maybe a Roland Jazz Chorus, Fender Twin or Bassman for cleans

You DONT need a distortion pedal dude

So I will connect a Head to a Combo? I see. The 65 Twin Reverb is pretty nice for Clean. Wow, I think til I die, I will have to pay a lot for the guitar stuffs
no no no.

the 800 will be on its own speaker cab, kudos for mentioning the 1960 cab. But as darkwolf mentioned buying a dedicated clean amp and A/B'ing between the two seperate is what he's talking about.

Two seperate amps:
One clean- fender, etc
One distortion- jcm800

Where you gonna get all this money for this? I had to work my @$$ off for my jcm2000...and they're the cheaper ones
Quote by JBailey23
no no no.

the 800 will be on its own speaker cab, kudos for mentioning the 1960 cab. But as darkwolf mentioned buying a dedicated clean amp and A/B'ing between the two seperate is what he's talking about.

Two seperate amps:
One clean- fender, etc
One distortion- jcm800

Where you gonna get all this money for this? I had to work my @$$ off for my jcm2000...and they're the cheaper ones

I am going to rob some millions in Swiss Bank =) Just kidding . My dad will buy for me with one condition I have to work very hard on school education, or he will burn these guitar stuffs
He sounds like the man with a plan.

Go for the JCM800 and the 1960 cab then. You'll have a setup everybody will be envious off and it'll be one heck of a learning experience (in a good way ) .
thanks a lot!!! you helped me a lot. Before this, I asked Mr Yahoo Answer and he gave me nothing! I'll tell you as soon I get the amp
Two heads. A JCM800 2203/2204 and something that will do cleans nice that matches - say a JTM45 clone (maybe with a 12AT7 in V1). Then grab a 1960 cab and run it in stereo. The 2203 plugs into one input and the JTM into the other. Now stick an ABY pedal in front of it all so you can switch which amp actually receives signal.
You now effectively have two amps with a 2x12 of their own.

Alternatively, just grab a 2203/2204 and learn how to use the volume control on your guitar and a dirt pedal.
You may also want to look at some Jet City amps. Maybe the JCA50 or JCA100. Those things are basically budget Soldanos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
1. Roll the Gain back on the amp to about 3ish.
2. Get a decent OD that suits your tastes, and preferably a noise suppressor as well.
3. Learn how to pick properly so that the dynamics you WANT to come out will come out WHEN you want them to.
A well setup 2203 with good tubes doesn't really need a noise gate. You can get those things pretty quiet if you spend some time on them, especially if you aren't maxing out the gain and using a nice quiet pedal. People are too quick to jump on noise gates instead of sorting out their amps. Load 'em up with JJ ECC803's and you'll hardly know it's turned on until you hit the strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How much do you have to spend?

I suggest just getting a DSL100. One channel for cleans, one channel for dirt. Easy, simple.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
Two heads. A JCM800 2203/2204 and something that will do cleans nice that matches - say a JTM45 clone (maybe with a 12AT7 in V1). Then grab a 1960 cab and run it in stereo. The 2203 plugs into one input and the JTM into the other. Now stick an ABY pedal in front of it all so you can switch which amp actually receives signal.
You now effectively have two amps with a 2x12 of their own.

Alternatively, just grab a 2203/2204 and learn how to use the volume control on your guitar and a dirt pedal.
You may also want to look at some Jet City amps. Maybe the JCA50 or JCA100. Those things are basically budget Soldanos.

Sorry, I have a question. If I am going to use the JCM 800, and like they said I will use distortion on it. so how should I switch to clean during the live. I know that I can use the volume knob. But during the live show, you cannot do it while you playing. Normally artists step on their pedals. And which overdrive should I get for the Sum 41 sound.
Page 1 of 2