Hey, guys!

I'm in the market for my first electric guitar. I'm a complete beginner and I've only been playing my acoustic for a couple of months (Takamine GS330s).

I visited a Sam Ash last night and browsed around, but spent more time reading the reviews on my phone than actually playing the guitars.

My budget's around $300-400
I like to play Indie Rock (Arctic Monkeys, Strokes, Fratellis, Shins), and classic Rock.
I'd rather have a new guitar, but used is also fine
I live down in Miami, FL
My only current guitar is my acoustic Takamine GS330s

The salesman at Sam Ash showed me a used Gibson SG Special for $399(with case), which looked pretty good, and the reviews on here are positive.
I think I could haggle him down a little bit.

Oh, and I also have no equipment. And I was looking to purchase a decent amp for <$100

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll probably head back to Sam Ash later this week to check out your recommendations.

Edit: it's a Gibson SG Special, not standard. Not sure if that makes a huge difference or not.
Last edited by carlitoswashere at Apr 3, 2012,
Find a guitar you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, it has to be fun for you to play it. Make sure you like the shape of the neck (it fits in your hand, you don't get cramped up when you play etc...) and how the strings feel when you bend/play on them.

Maybe make sure the guitar has a decent set of tuners so it won't fall out of tune all the time too and you should mostly be all set!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
fender mexican strat.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
fender mexican strat.

He said his budget is around 300 and 400 bucks...
Honestly, try the SG you mentioned. It's a well-balanced and versatile instrument, and if you like the look of it, that's a good thing too. If you're into the vintage sound provided by decent single coils, give a try to the Squier classic vibe series. The reviews I heard about them say they're fine and comfortable instrument, with a classy clean sound.
Last edited by Silverpack at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by carlitoswashere
Hey, guys!

I'm in the market for my first electric guitar. I'm a complete beginner and I've only been playing my acoustic for a couple of months (Takamine GS330s).

I visited a Sam Ash last night and browsed around, but spent more time reading the reviews on my phone than actually playing the guitars.

My budget's around $300-400
I like to play Indie Rock (Arctic Monkeys, Strokes, Fratellis, Shins), and classic Rock.
I'd rather have a new guitar, but used is also fine
I live down in Miami, FL
My only current guitar is my acoustic Takamine GS330s

The salesman at Sam Ash showed me a used Gibson SG Standard for $399(with case), which looked pretty good, and the reviews on here are positive.
I think I could haggle him down a little bit.

Oh, and I also have no equipment. And I was looking to purchase a decent amp for <$100

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll probably head back to Sam Ash later this week to check out your recommendations.

I'm from England so I'm not sure and maybe someone could help me out but $399 seems a little low for a Gibson SG standard are you sure it wasn't an epiphone? (Gibson's' daughter company)
SMILE!
I played a bit with 2 Epiphone Les Paul's, one priced at $150, the other at $250.
They felt good, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to.
I like the way the Gibson looks, and I'll probably play it a bit later this week.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
I'm from England so I'm not sure and maybe someone could help me out but $399 seems a little low for a Gibson SG standard are you sure it wasn't an epiphone? (Gibson's' daughter company)

I'm pretty sure. The salesman was really excited to show me this guitar and showed me the newer model which was at $600 I believe.

I mean, I've only heard great things about Gibsons, that's why I was curious about how good the guitar may be.
Quote by Silverpack
Honestly, try the SG you mentioned. It's a well-balanced and versatile instrument, and if you like the look of it, that's a good thing too. If you're into the vintage sound provided by decent single coils, give a try to the Squier classic vibe series. The reviews I heard about them say they're fine and comfortable instrument, with a classy clean sound.

They also had Squier packages, that were <$300, that included an amp, case, picks and some other things. But I wasn't too sure about the $120 guitar it came with.
Don't triple post, just edit your posts and add to it.

Just try a nice variety of guitars when you go back to the shop, you'll eventually find something you like if you haven't already. Gibsons are tempting because of the name but if you find another guitar that you think is better suited for you, don't hesitate to buy it because of the brand.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.