I would like to get good metal tones like Metallica or Megadeth with my DSL 100. I read on the internet that you need a pedal to get those tones, but I looked at an Ibanez tubescreamer and it was like $150/120 euro. Is a tubescreamer the same as an overddrive pedal? And can you guys recommend an OD pedal with a good price/quality?
I had no trouble nailing metallica and megadeth tones when I had my DSL. It is a great amp. I would try playing around with your EQ a little bit and you should be able to get there. That being said I used to boost my amp with a Boss SD-1.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yes. The Tubescreamer is an overdrive pedal. Alternatives are the MXR GT-OD, Fulltone OCD, Visual Sound Route 808, Digitech Bad Monkey.

I haven't played the DSL to know if it can do those sounds, so I would trust bobafettacheese.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
the joyo one is pretty good, and (far as i'm aware) is a tubescreamer clone. they're like 29 euro on thomann (sold as harley benton vintage overdrive). that'd let you see if you like how a tubescreamer combines with your marshall without forking out the 150 euro + for a "real" one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
from personal experience i primarily boost mine with a mxr classic overdrive and a fulltone fulldrive 2 occasionally. Either one of those have a great tone IMO. But any tubescreamer style OD is perfect.

As mentioned, these are really good examples:

Yes. The Tubescreamer is an overdrive pedal. Alternatives are the MXR GT-OD, Fulltone OCD, Visual Sound Route 808, Digitech Bad Monkey.

QUOTE]
DO NOT buy an OCD for a boost. They are best used as standalone drives.

Grab a TS7, TS9, GT-OD (I loved mine when I had it), Boss SD1, if you're needing to go cheap Digitech Bad Monkey is never a bad choice... There are quite literally tons of OD pedals on the market.

You should definitely be able to to metal on a DSL, especially with an overdrive. Volume 10, Gain 0-3, Tone to taste.

Wham bam thank you ma'am.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--