sup dudes. i recently got my wine red DRRI and looove it. its so nice for what i play and for a reissue its a great amp. but i dont like how in my band i need to crank it up completely and then i have really nowhere else to go. (we play loud) i have absolutely no experience in external cabinets so before i go frying my amp i thought i would ask here first. i found a few similiar posts but im still a bit confused. ohmage always confused me but can anyone give me a run down in laymans terms. i would like to hook up a 212 to the DRRI but didnt know if thats possible. if its risky im sure another 112 ontop of the DRRI would be pretty loud aswell. School me! thanks a bunch guys

-anton
bear in mind i've never actually tried one, i'm just going by the specs on fender's website, so if they're wrong, it's fender's fault, not mine.

stock speaker seems to be 8 ohms. Fender also claims it's got an extension socket (which, I assume, would also be 8 ohms, but it'd be worth checking that out).

if you are going to add an external cab, it'd need to be 8 ohms (assuming the extension socket is also 8 ohms, as i said, check that on your amp, it should be labelled).

it'd also be worth finding out whether adding an external cab mutes the internal speaker. if it does you'd need to get a 2x12 or there wouldn't be much point. if it doesn't i guess you could add a 1x12 cab, but you'd need to make sure the speaker is a good match (tonally and in terms of overall volume/sensitivity/efficiency) with the stock one.

to be honest... the stock speaker, according to jensen, is 99dB. Speakers don't get a whole heap louder than that (assuming jensen isn't being wildly optimistic in its efficiency rating). Adding a 2x12 would possibly increase the volume marginally, but you'd have to go for pretty efficient speakers and unless your amp is currently *almost* loud enough, it might be a waste of money. you might be better just putting the money towards a louder amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc

to be honest... the stock speaker, according to jensen, is 99dB. Speakers don't get a whole heap louder than that (assuming jensen isn't being wildly optimistic in its efficiency rating). Adding a 2x12 would possibly increase the volume marginally, but you'd have to go for pretty efficient speakers and unless your amp is currently *almost* loud enough, it might be a waste of money. you might be better just putting the money towards a louder amp.

This. I have a deluxe as well and it's normally loud enough but I played with a particularly raucous band and it fell short. Even with a mesa 4x12 I couldn't really keep up. If you're just barely being drowned out you might do well with a 2x12, especially one that angles the sound upward and outward. But if you're significantly quieter than everyone elseeither tell them to shut up or think about getting a second/different amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?