I'll try and keep this short and sweet.
A couple of years ago I moved to HK, Bringing my beloved Martin dc16gte with me.
Most of last year I was working in Oz, and the guitar sat in its hardcase in HK.I have been back in HK now for about four months, and have been making up for lost time by molesting my dc16gte as much as possible.the other day,to my horror, I noticed the intonation was out.

What I now realise is that the humidity has done a number on my guitar.The action seems to be raised and I have come to my own conclusion that the body has expanded.

Initially, I wanted to run and put it into the shop and get it "repaired', but on thinking about this I thought It would be wiser to try and dry the guitar first in order to remove the moisture, which in turn may result in the settling of the wood and relief the problem.

I am thinking ,that maybe a guitar tech would just shave the bridge in order to restore the intonation,and then later I might have the reverse problem if the guitar dried out.

at the moment the guitar is in its case with dehumidifying packs.I have also just bought a hydrometer and begun a full scale war to bring my dingey,damp flats humidity down.

am I on the right track?will my guitar ever be the same? should I take it to a tech?
has anyone had similar issues?

Not really short and sweet.sorry.
Since it's not exactly a cheap guitar, if I were you, I would bring it in to a respected luthier, not a tech. If the belly is starting bulge a luthier can bring it back to shape pretty easily as the wood slowly returns to it's correct moisture level.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
He would most likely keep it in his workshop, which they usually keep around 50% RH. Whether a guitar is too dry or kept too damp for a long period of time, it is usually better to bring it back to normal conditions slowly.

When wood gets too damp, beside the obvious swelling, it also becomes softer. Due to the force of the string pressure, the softened would can bulge around the bridge area, this can easily be seen by using a straight edge both widthwise and lengthwise across the guitar's top near the bridge, many time the bracing will seperate underneath the bridge area as it deforms.

If that's the case, I imagine the luthier would use pressure by use of clamps, monitoring the top and the action everyday while the guitar slowly dried out. Thats just one way, each luthier has their own little methods on how they like to do things.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Apr 3, 2012,
Thanks for your time Blackbird
I have found an experienced luthier here in HK,so within the next few days I will get it to him to assess.
Hopefully, this will just be a good learning curve, and my guitar and I can resume our love affair.
I shall post a conclusion when.,hopefully, things are resolved.