Okay so i'm new to this site and guitar in general, I've been playing a woodwind instrument for about 8 years now so I can site read very well and know a lot of music theory. My question is how to read guitar chords where it shows you the lyrics and the chords on top!? I know how to finger all the chords but how do you know the strumming pattern and how long to strum for? If anyone can help or direct me to where i can find the answer it'd be greatly appreciated
Quote by Jcesarek
Okay so i'm new to this site and guitar in general, I've been playing a woodwind instrument for about 8 years now so I can site read very well and know a lot of music theory. My question is how to read guitar chords where it shows you the lyrics and the chords on top!? I know how to finger all the chords but how do you know the strumming pattern and how long to strum for? If anyone can help or direct me to where i can find the answer it'd be greatly appreciated

Listen to it and figure it out.

Like a man
You're gonna be shocked at how primitive guitar music is. Usually it'll just tell you the position of the notes so unless it has the rhythms notated too (which is rare) you'll need to listen to the song and figure it out yourself
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by ShevanelFlip
Listen to it and figure it out.

Like a man

You have to figure out the strumming pattern yourself. It's a lot less difficult than it sounds.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You have to listen to the actual song. But most of them is just a down, up, down, up pattern or down, up, down, down, up
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I'm pretty sure it's Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

But if you're playing with another guitarist, its: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch
some tabs in guitar pro have strumming arrows. and you can look at youtube for videos of the artist preforming live. in our age the ways to acquire things are endless. i have to agree though that these guys are right the best way to learn is by listening to the song.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.