So i have a vox ac4 that i ****ing love, but im starting to jam with a bassist and a drummer so i am in need of a bigger amp. IM a pedal fiend mainly using my tubescreamer phaser and delay so i can get a spacey post rock kind of sound, but i also have abig muff for some heavier stuff. What amp do you guys recommend?
if you like the vox then stay with the a vox style amp. Sounds like you have found the sound you are after, just get a bigger ac, think 15 or 30. Unless you want to get completely away from that tone.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Id love to buy an ac30 they are just pretty damn expensive, was looking for a cheaper alternative. Are ac15s loud enough? they arent too pricey
Quote by ilovemyJAG
Id love to buy an ac30 they are just pretty damn expensive, was looking for a cheaper alternative. Are ac15s loud enough? they arent too pricey

I thought your budget was $1000? You can definitely grab a used AC30 for less than that. AC15 would be a decent choice as well, it will be loud enough to get over a drummer. Not sure how clean it will stay though...
Quote by zl1288
I thought your budget was $1000? You can definitely grab a used AC30 for less than that. AC15 would be a decent choice as well, it will be loud enough to get over a drummer. Not sure how clean it will stay though...

oh sorry i meant under 1000, i cant see my parents going over 800 unless it was a really good deal. So the AC15 vs the Peavey valveking, which would be better in yours guys' opinion?
ValveKing is not in the same league as the AC15. Not knocking the amp. there are many great amps out there for under $1000. Do some more research and see what you like, you might even want to try an Orange. But it sounds like you like the Vox sound and the 15 and 30 are very manageable. Just check local Craigslist or heck even eBay. good luck.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by ilovemyJAG
oh sorry i meant under 1000, i cant see my parents going over 800 unless it was a really good deal. So the AC15 vs the Peavey valveking, which would be better in yours guys' opinion?

My friend recently got an old AC30 head with the matching cab (Greenbacks I believe, could be wrong) for about 800. Granted, a friend sold it to him and he didn't exactly know what he had, but it's possible to nab an AC30 for around 800. Just gotta be more patient than normal.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
look for one on used.guitarcenter.com. They have heads on there for ~$600.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Theres LOADS of 30 watt amps using an EL84 power section. I forget how many gain stages the AC30 has; can someone illuminate this?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
An AC15 is plenty loud enough for bar and club gigs. It will also, most likely, be the last amp you ever buy. (okay, maybe not but they are very good amps. I'm very jealous of a friend's)
Ok so i jammed with the guys today and the other guitarist had like a 150 watt spider, will the ac15 keep up with that? at this point i just need something that will have a nice clean tone at a loud volume, doesnt have to be a tube amp.
If you're not going to be mic'd up, you may want to consider something like a Peavey Classic 50. Just something to consider.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ilovemyJAG
Ok so i jammed with the guys today and the other guitarist had like a 150 watt spider, will the ac15 keep up with that? at this point i just need something that will have a nice clean tone at a loud volume, doesnt have to be a tube amp.

An Ac15 may be louder than your friends 150w line 6. Those 2 amps are worlds apart, your line 6 friend would immediately want a new amp
you shouldn't have any issues getting a used ac30 under $1,000. you could also go with the 15 just to save a little bit. if you want to get another tone platform to try out look at old fender amps, 70s era twin reverbs can go for under $1,000. just something else to look into
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by ilovemyJAG

Valveking is a completely different amp all together. Whoever recommended it probably just told you whatever amp they had.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Apr 8, 2012,
If you want a Peavey, get a Classic 30. They are essentially an AC30, from what I remember.
Dont care too much about brand name as long as it sounds good. But it looks like i could pick up a classic 50 and an ac15 for about the same price used, would the 15 really be louder than the line 6?
Dude, it will OWN the Line 6!

Who cares about volume, both are obscenely loud.

Classic 50 and AC15 are totally different beasts. Do you need cleans?
**** it lol, got the AC15 Limited edition blue with greenback speakers, i couldnt resist. Pics in a lil bit.

Last edited by ilovemyJAG at Apr 8, 2012,
HNAD

I personally would have gone for a used AC30 in a band situation just to feel comfortable, but the AC15 can probably get the job done

All that aside, that's a nice looking amp!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2946891967.html
I'm a little late to the party, but for $650 you can get a Thirty with Celests.

I think you made a great choice though. The blue Voxes make me a bit aroused.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Apr 8, 2012,
Quote by CL/\SH
HNAD

I personally would have gone for a used AC30 in a band situation just to feel comfortable, but the AC15 can probably get the job done

All that aside, that's a nice looking amp!

yeah, now that i think about it i probably shouldve just gotten a used ac30 but this is plenty loud. thanks! definitely a step up from my ac4

Quote by y2k11hmmm?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2946891967.html
I'm a little late to the party, but for $650 you can get a Celests.

damn I still have 30 days to return it if i find something like this in my area, i just needed something ASAP, ill test it out tomorrow with the band
Last edited by ilovemyJAG at Apr 8, 2012,
You can always plan on getting a 30 down the road, and have both?

There's a lot of tones I would rather have the 15 for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You can always plan on getting a 30 down the road, and have both?

There's a lot of tones I would rather have the 15 for.

my parents said this is the last amp theyll buy me so after this im on my own. should i just look for a used ac30 in the next 30 days?
Quote by ilovemyJAG
my parents said this is the last amp theyll buy me so after this im on my own. should i just look for a used ac30 in the next 30 days?

Again, I ask, do you need cleans at concert level volumes?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Again, I ask, do you need cleans at concert level volumes?

I do, but most shows i play they mic my amp
You should be just fine with the AC15, I played an un-mic'ed jazz gig with mine and it was just fine, keep the channel volume low and crank the master.

Damn, that blue is sexy, I kinda wish I got mine in blue, or even red, but the vintage look is still classy.
HNAC15D!
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Quote by LesPaulGuy1
You should be just fine with the AC15, I played an un-mic'ed jazz gig with mine and it was just fine, keep the channel volume low and crank the master.

Damn, that blue is sexy, I kinda wish I got mine in blue, or even red, but the vintage look is still classy.
HNAC15D!

just tried it and it sounds nice and clean, cant wait to test this thing out with my pedalboard tomorrow man
awesome. if you play in a packed bar all night your not going to have much clean tone out of 15 watts, thats why people were saying get the 30. but they are loud amps and they love to be cranked....and regardless your going to sound f-ing awesome.

side note - if you need more headroom, mic it. if your playing in a band situation you should mic almost any amp anyways.