Does anyone here know much about orchestral stringed instruments? I'm really looking to learn cello but I'm on a budget. What should I look for in buying a cello? I'm not super picky; I just want something that feels and sounds decent. I've found the one in the link and I'd be willing to spend that much, but I'm wondering if something like this would sound ok or even be worth buying. It LOOKS nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystalcello-NEW-4-4-3-4-1-4-Black-Cello-Bag-and-Bow-/180351757137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item29fdcd6b51#ht_1943wt_948

Thanks in advance, and sorry I know this isn't a cello forum but I wasn't about to go join an orchestra site just to make this thread
I hate my sig
I started playing cello back in the mid-1970s...and after a while, my parents bought me a low-level pro cello for $2000 back then, so I'm guessing this is a student-level cello.

That's not necessarily a bad thing- I started off on one like that.

IOW, to start learning the instrument, you don't need a top level cello.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I started playing cello back in the mid-1970s...and my parents bought me a low-level pro cello for $2000 back then, so I'm guessing this is a student-level cello.

Does that mean it's not useable? I mean what are the benefits of spending $2000 on one? Is there that big of a difference in sound quality? Cause theres no way in hell I'm spending that much. Just trying to learn some basics

Edit:and when I say "useable", I mean for recordings and performances.
I hate my sig
It's usable for learning, but you probably wouldn't want to record it- it would sound a bit like the recordings of student orchestras.

The better an instrument you get, you get something that will project sound better, be lighter & more resonant. Better instruments tend to be lightly constructed so that they resonate better. My last instructor's cello was 400 years old, and may have been about 25% lighter than mine. The top & back were paper thin- maybe a third the thickness of mine. And unlike mine, when he played at full force, he made stuff in the practice room rattle.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What is your goal with the cello?

You might save yourself & time by tuning a guitar to Fripp's NST: CGDAEG. (Cellos are tuned CGDA). No additional cost outlays.

If its the bowed sound, you could approximate it with an eBow.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is your goal with the cello?

You might save yourself & time by tuning a guitar to Fripp's NST: CGDAEG. (Cellos are tuned CGDA). No additional cost outlays.

If its the bowed sound, you could approximate it with an eBow.

I've just always loved the sound of them, played one in Sam Ash the other day an loved it. The one I played was $600 an I could tell I'd be happy with one of that quality. I'm not trying to get into full orchestral music but I'd love to use it as a texture in some of my band's recordings. What exactly is an eBow?

Edit: I just looked up eBows, and while they definitely give a cool sound, I'm still set on the sound of a real Cello. Am I wrong in having a budget f around $300? I know I can get a decent guitar for that price but maybe it's not the same with Cellos
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Apr 4, 2012,
Haven't had the time to check out the vid, but a used cello of $300-600 might not be so bad. It might be just right for your needs.

You might check Music Go Round online or talk to a local high-school or college orchestra teacher about tracking one locally.

Checked out the vid- nice- and yeah, that's definitely cello.

If you do gets cello, make sure you don't skimp on the bow; get real horsehair. The bow is responsible for a good part of the sound you get- cheap bows don't have the balance and adjustibility of better ones, and may use artificial hairs that don't quite have the same friction as horsehair. They may not hold rosin as well, and that's the difference between sweet, long sustained notes and ones that sound squeaky or metallic.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2012,
Good luck!

I just talked to a manager at my local brick & mortar location of Music & Arts- literally next door to where I had lunch today- and he noted that their student cellos start at around $1000. (He did say their website has more options.). If you don't know the chain, they are targeted mostly at students taking band & orchestra.

You might also check Music-Go-Round, since they deal in used instruments.

The manager also made a suggestion- M&A rents instruments as well. That, or hiring a cellist as needed, might be your best option.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 5, 2012,