I should get rid of my ibanez150w head and buy something louder/better. I can't be heard over the drums much even at full volume (our training space atm is small and my set is next to drums in the corner), i was considering tube of course, but they cost a bit too much so i started thinking what exactly are hybrid head, their pro's and cons?
Turn up your mids.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
With the exception of the Spider Valve/Tube Vypyr and the old Music Man hybrids, almost all hybrids are just a SS amp with a preamp tube that doesn't really do anything. The tube is more or less for marketing purposes.

What's your budget and musical style, and which amps were you looking at?
+1

and maybe the blackstar HTs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been in your shoes with the small practice space and high wattage amps...150w may seem loud at first but try jamming in a practice space the size of a closet...all you'll hear is noise.

I just stumbled onto a good point actually.

Like whats already been said the tube preamps in a hybrid head don't really serve that much of a tonal purpose. If you already like the tone of your amp I wouldn't see why you would want to upgrade. See what yall can do about finding a bigger jam space because a bigger space means the sound can spread out more and yall can hear each other better. 150 watts is plenty loud...hell if my class 5 marshall with a stunning 5 watts of power can be heard over the drums in a large room 150 will be perfect.
Quote by Roc8995
With the exception of the Spider Valve/Tube Vypyr and the old Music Man hybrids, almost all hybrids are just a SS amp with a preamp tube that doesn't really do anything. The tube is more or less for marketing purposes.

What's your budget and musical style, and which amps were you looking at?

500 - 600€ is pretty max, we play mainly rock, but few songs are.. pop/jazz/funk type chordy and jamming songs. We like to play pretty much everything, but not so much metal from the 2000 - present. Some older metal songs tho.

I was just scrolling the list at Thomann, watching prices mainly. Maybe it would be better to save straight for tube head then.
yeah

heck 600 euro will buy you a traynor ycv50b combo. if you really can't stretch any further you could do an awful lot worse.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JBailey23
150 watts is plenty loud...hell if my class 5 marshall with a stunning 5 watts of power can be heard over the drums in a large room 150 will be perfect.
SS wattage and tube wattage are different, you should be heard over a drummer with a 150W SS head but the distortion tones can't be too pleasing.

I'm in America and not sure of the purchasing power of the pound, but a Jet City JCA50 might serve you pretty well with a tube swap. I know they're recommended a lot around here but they are a pretty sweet amp. The clean channel doesn't have much sparkling clean potential but it does excellent crunch and light grit. Especially with a Strat. The OD channel has a stronger emphasis on the low end and low mids, it reminds me of Alice in Chains type stuff with the right settings.

EDIT: That Traynor suggestion is a great one too. A Peavey Classic 30/50 might serve you well also.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 3, 2012,
^ lulz

^^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@fluxd
Yeah, i've used tube amps for quite awhile and 150w SS is loud but I know from my old days my SS amps didn't sound that great at high volumes in small spaces.

I just read the topic as he's having volume issues.
speaking of blackstar that new hybrid head they got out now sounds baller in their video...of course the MG recordings marshall had sounded awesome to
My band's practice room is pretty small. My vox vt100 easily keeps up with the rest of the band. Are you sure your amp isn't broken? What cab? Tube amps are much louder than ss, my rebel 20 head thru a 1x12 destroys the vt100 2x12. I've heard that 1w, if used efficiently enough, can damage your ear drum.
^ yep. If all of 1 watt of power is converted to sound (effeciently enough) it could theorectically produce 120dB. 130 dB is the threshold pain.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL