Hello UG,

simple intro, self taught pianist trying to pick up the electric guitar after realizing simple acoustic campfire sing and strum isn't something i'll like to be doing.

I have recently started on a Japanese rock piece by GLAY. Love the song, bought the score, felt it was fairly simple to play the full score,

HOWEVER, i do have an issue with the lead guitar parts.

I have basic understand of guitar playing and styles(1 year of sing and strum on the acoustic). However, despite 1 week of practice(Fingers still developing calluses, still hurts alot when playing), I cant seem to improve much on playing the lead portions. I know its due to poor beginner's technique, but i'm hoping for some advice that wont see me wasting too much time on something that won't be too useful for what I'm about to pursue.

Alright, back on track. I'm gonna post the gp5 tablature of the lead that I tabbed out. Basically, I have issues with the fast runs at bar 4. I have tried for a week, going really slow for the set of 14-12-11, 14-12-11, but can never get it.

I'm also clueless with how i should be positioning my fingers to tackle the lead. An example will be the 14-12-11, 14-12-11 that i was referring to. I'm putting my 4th finger on the 14, middle finger on the 12 and index finger on the 11, doing alternate picking(not even sure if its the right technique) on the 1st string. How should I be moving on the the same set of 14-12-11 on the 2nd string? Am I supposed to place my index finger across the 1st and 2nd string at the 11th fret and not move it, while only moving my middle and 4th fingers? Or am I supposed to have only 1 finger on the fretboard at all times?

If anyone can take a look at it, and offer some advice, I will be really grateful.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4dhtuhit5v0237d

Thanks!
A week is not a long time. Keep practising, have some patience and it will come. As for technique, do what comes naturally, unless you are doing something that feels really painful keep going until the speed comes
Quote by Powersurge213
A week is not a long time. Keep practising, have some patience and it will come. As for technique, do what comes naturally, unless you are doing something that feels really painful keep going until the speed comes

Hello powersurge,

thanks for the encouragement. I definitely do have the capacity to be patient and continue practising. I'm a full time university student and I have to juggle classes and other commitments. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford a guitar teacher, nor are any f my peers into guitars. My concerns are that I am practising a wrong technique, where it will not help with guitar improvements. Haha

Cheers
Freepower and Justin Sandercore's youtube channels both have excellent basic technique lessons. Justinguitar.com has excellent resources for beginner and intermediate players. Those resources are your best bet for learning proper technique without a teacher of some kind.