I have spent 11 years total playing instruments. The most recent have been 8 years playing guitar and learning music theory on the way. But I haven't spent much time educating myself on equipment.

I have a line6 spider2 120w amp and an esp guitar. I don't know how to set pedals up right and they don't seem to work well. I have tried a wah pedal and a whammy pedal and both I have had problems with.

I know what tones and effects I want but I don't know how to get them and whats the best set up for them. I don't know why my wah pedal sounds horrible.

What I need is a more powerful amp with the right tone, the effects pedals I want, and a way to save presets kinda like my amp does so I can quickly switch between certain favorite sounds. I also don't want to sacrifice sound quality.

How can I go about learning more about equipment in order to get what I want? I tried talking to a music teacher and he had a podhd500 for me but I don't know if that will work for me.
The story of my life. The only advice I have for you, is that you don't need a more powerful amp. If you want to be louder, add more speakers, and try using less pedals. Cut your pedals down to the ones you "need", pedals always seem to be a tone killer for me.
Read read read read.

Keep an eye on the big forums. This one, Harmony Central, TGP. Read online articles. Magazines are often too shallow/commercial to be trustworthy. Watch reviews and clips on youtube.

And last but not least: play lots of gear.
You're going to get a lot of "What you need is a new amp." Personally, with your fondness for sound quality, I would recommend ditching the Spider, but that's just me (and if you're putting pedals in front of the Spider, that's probably not the best thing either). A good amp will take pedals well. Learning about effects can be easy as watch videos on Youtube (i.e. search for "flanger guitar pedal" or something to that effect). If you want amp recommendations that will set you on the path of your desired tone, please, tell us a budget, location, genres, current gear (more specific than an ESP), home or gig, new or used. There is a sticky, but I think that's it.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by Piglizard
The story of my life. The only advice I have for you, is that you don't need a more powerful amp. If you want to be louder, add more speakers, and try using less pedals. Cut your pedals down to the ones you "need", pedals always seem to be a tone killer for me.

WHAT.

TS: Read around on here. There are tons of great pedals from tons of great pedal manufacturers that I'm sure will cover all your needs.

That said, if you want specific recommendations on amps or pedals, ask us on here. We can help.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--