I'm wanting to become better at the guitar in every aspect, and I've decided I'm gonna dedicate 70 minutes every day to that.

So my question is, do you guys/girls recommend any certain routine to break down the practice? Like 20 minutes of this and 20 minutes of that or whatnot?

Any help much appreciated!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I think it was 10 mins scales for warm up, 30 mins stuff you know, 30 mins stuff you don't know already (or don't know that well).
Man, 70 minutes is not much time. I far from expert, but if you have time, you should practice more. I took me months to become descent at sweep picking, and I practiced it so much, I said descent, but not fast enough. I practiced only one technique for more that 2 hours daily sometimes. don't get me wrong, i'm in a shitty mood
What if you did a few minutes of writing, a few minutes of jamming (to songs, maybe for warm up) a few minutes on technique ect.
Start with 15 minutes of warm up stuff. Nice, big, comfortable stretches to get your fretting hand ready and some simple arpeggiated chords for the picking hand. I'd then dedicate 15 or so minutes to practicing my alternate picking in a very slow, methodical manner and ensuring that I'm using optimally small pick strokes.

That's the only practice that I would recommend regardless of where you're at technically. Beyond that, dedicate your time proportionally to the songs you're learning and the techniques that you feel lacking at.
2 minutes of stretching, 8 minutes of exercises, 20 minutes of learning a song or songs, 40 minutes of improvising.

Also whenever you have a few minutes free, study some music theory. Then the next time you play, try to incorporate what you learned into your playing.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by kimi_page
Man, 70 minutes is not much time. I far from expert, but if you have time, you should practice more. I took me months to become descent at sweep picking, and I practiced it so much, I said descent, but not fast enough. I practiced only one technique for more that 2 hours daily sometimes. don't get me wrong, i'm in a shitty mood

In my opinion, the amount of time you spend practicing is not as important as how you practice, and how consistently. 30 minutes every day is better than 6 hours on Saturday, with nothing the rest of the week. And to hold that consistency, you have to set realistic goals. I see guys on here (and I've done this myself) say, "I'm gonna practice for 8 hours a day this summer", and get about a week into it and get burnt out. So what I'd say is that 70 minutes is perfectly adequate, especially for starting out. Once you get into the habit of practicing daily, it's much easier to add time without going insane.

Anyway to answer your question TS, I'd say something like:
10 min warm up/stretching.
5-10 min of dexterity exercises like Freepower's Spiders (these get boring quick).
15-20 min of learning scales. These are boring too, so change them up by playing them in different intervals, playing all the notes on one string, two strings etc.
Then spend the rest of the time learning songs you like.
Another thing is don't do the same thing for too many days in a row. There's lots of other things you could add in here, like improvising or learning chord voicings or theory or working on a specific technique. Mix it up.

Also really useful is a timer. If you have problems staying on track when practicing, set your timer for really small intervals, like 1 minute, and say, "I'm gonna practice this scale until the timer runs out". When it does, set it for 2 minutes and do the same thing. Then back to a minute. Then 3. This is a technique called timeboxing (google it), and it basically tricks your brain into staying focused because doing something for a minute is really easy, and you don't feel like you'll get bored doing the same thing for 20 minutes straight.
Thank a lot for the input guys!!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Man, I like to warm up to some easy riffs ACDC or anything in those lines, then I practice scales and my right hand with some exercises, making sure I'm working on my faults. Then I jam to some songs. If you do these 3 main parts, you can easily spend 3hours on this! I usually practice 1-2 hours a day when I'm not with much work at school so try it out
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
As others have said, start off with some stretching and then some light picking exercises to get your hands warmed up. After that I don't really have a set practice schedule.. I might work on some new songs, practice some old ones, work on writing my own stuff, improvise over jam tracks, or just woodshed with a metronome. I try to do small doses of all of that (if something gets cut, its usually the older songs), and then I end with an improv session because its fun.

That's what a lot of guitarists seem to forget: Playing the guitar is supposed to be fun! Yes, building up speed with a metronome has its purposes, but people burn out if too much time is spent constantly working on technique.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15