i will be using this as one of many lead guitars. i just want a good run down.

i am toying picking up an Ibanez S. it would have to be prestige or of equal quality.

requirements: ibanez S only prestige variant S
good trem only (i don't know much about the S-Series)
used is the only way
i know the pickups will likely suck, not a big deal to change them.
i don't know what wood they are, is one better than another for this guitar
are all of them 22 fret?

i own two prestiges at the moment a 3550MZ and a 2570EVSL, i love them.

don't know how much this matters but one of the two (to be 3 with this addition) will be in C# std/Drop B. (three semitones down).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
s2120.

Find an old one.

Best S ever.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The newer ones are all 24 fret (from around 2008-ish I think), the tremolo systems are all either ZR or ZR2 which are fantastic. It seems ridiculous they use the Edge III in the cheaper RG guitars when they could be using the ZR... Anyway.

They're all Mahogany, but weigh hardly anything because they're so thin. The stock pickups aren't as bad as everyone says, but can get a bit undefined with a lot of distortion.

the 24 frets is a plus, i was going to cringe with 22 frets, so i am glad about that being newer models having 24 frets.

i have played a few here and there, this is just something for fun.

and as far as ibanez's pickups sucking, the ones on my RG2570EVSL are dimarzio/ibanez (the ones with the bigger lettering pickups aren't all that bad. my RG3550MZ came stock with Tone Zone/ True Velvet/ and/Air Norton.

i am glad its a good bridge.

there don't seem to be too many prestige models out there. any models a bit older, that are comparable?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
With the S series. The older the better tbh dude.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
s2120.

Find an old one.

Best S ever.

goddamn its beautiful. what makes it better than the others? i want one...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a S5470q. I've had it for about a month now.
Phenomenal guitar.

It one thing to play it in a shop for a few minutes and decide you like it, but it's quite another when you take it home and play it back in your element.

I've been trying as best I can to, as unbiasedly as I can, review this guitar and its tone. In short, as you may well know having owned Prestiges yourself, your money mostly goes towards build quality and quality of materials. The guitar is immaculate in that respect. But it's the sound and tone were it stands apart. It's a mahogany body yet it sounds quite different than any other mahogany body guitar I've ever played. In my opinion the tonewoods account for most of the guitars tone, not the pickups. I expected this guitar to sound very warm and almost "percussive". But that is not the case. There is something about it's shape and very thin body that makes is sound very smooth and almost sparkly on the high end. Sometimes, if I'm honest, a little thin on the high end too. It really hard to put into words. It's not good or bad, just different. It's not loud when you play it unplugged as some mahogany bodys can be and it doesn't sustain well. It also does not have a very heavy low end grunt. It's more mid/high voiced and very clear. I've found natural harmonics I didn't know existed on this thing. I don't think it would be a good choice for a really heavy drop tuned style. It's a shredders guitar through and through; much more geared toward Shawn Lane, Joe Satriani, older Paul Gilbert style type stuff. The pickups are surprisingly good. I was sure I'd want to swap them out for something else. But they're actually just right for my style and for what this guitar is made for. They complement the mid/high drive of the guitar. Again they're not too heavy.

To be honest this guitar surprised me. It wasn't really what I expected when I got it home. But it quickly grew on me in an unexpected way. I've never played anything with so much bite. Don't expect a really heavy or blues-y type sound. But for mind numbing shredding and standard tuned rock/metal it's nothing short of perfect.
Quote by X-plorer88
I have a S5470q. I've had it for about a month now.
Phenomenal guitar.

It one thing to play it in a shop for a few minutes and decide you like it, but it's quite another when you take it home and play it back in your element.

I've been trying as best I can to, as unbiasedly as I can, review this guitar and its tone. In short, as you may well know having owned Prestiges yourself, your money mostly goes towards build quality and quality of materials. The guitar is immaculate in that respect. But it's the sound and tone were it stands apart. It's a mahogany body yet it sounds quite different than any other mahogany body guitar I've ever played. In my opinion the tonewoods account for most of the guitars tone, not the pickups. I expected this guitar to sound very warm and almost "percussive". But that is not the case. There is something about it's shape and very thin body that makes is sound very smooth and almost sparkly on the high end. Sometimes, if I'm honest, a little thin on the high end too. It really hard to put into words. It's not good or bad, just different. It's not loud when you play it unplugged as some mahogany bodys can be and it doesn't sustain well. It also does not have a very heavy low end grunt. It's more mid/high voiced and very clear. I've found natural harmonics I didn't know existed on this thing. I don't think it would be a good choice for a really heavy drop tuned style. It's a shredders guitar through and through; much more geared toward Shawn Lane, Joe Satriani, older Paul Gilbert style type stuff. The pickups are surprisingly good. I was sure I'd want to swap them out for something else. But they're actually just right for my style and for what this guitar is made for. They complement the mid/high drive of the guitar. Again they're not too heavy.

To be honest this guitar surprised me. It wasn't really what I expected when I got it home. But it quickly grew on me in an unexpected way. I've never played anything with so much bite. Don't expect a really heavy or blues-y type sound. But for mind numbing shredding and standard tuned rock/metal it's nothing short of perfect.

thank you very much for the detailed review. i don't remember the last time i played one, but had a friend back in high school who had a lower end model and it was in 2006, so i don't remember much.

i would have to catch a hell of a deal for one of these at the moment, i am waiting to jump on the right Fryette Deliverance, and have wanted the amp for quite a while, but small purchases coming up, the second prestige, the Sovtek MIG, etc. so i will be scouting on the cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah I paid almost $1600usd for mine. It was my first really expensive guitar. For me that's alot of money to drop on a guitar. So there was always the very biased part of me that keeps trying to convince myself that this is the best guitar on Earth and it's far better than my Strat and Explorer. But thats not the case, it's just another flavor. It is, however, very very good at what it's meant for. And the HSH electronics give it great versatility.

But mind you, that's all just talking tone. It's hard to rate tone.

This guitar gets solid 10s in build quality, material quality, playability, electronics, hardware, aesthetics.... and everything else. The switch feels excellent. The knobs are stiff, they take more effort than you'd think to turn them, which I personally like. But they feel really solid, like they're on bearings. Dark chrome hardware all around. The Wizard neck is gorgeous. Mine has amazing figure. The tuning stability is amazing. Tune it once and forget it. As long as you're not being a jackass like Herman Li, it'll stay in tune no matter what you do.
Depends on what you want more, crazy whammy bar tricks (flutter, warble, etc) or 24 frets. If you go for the 'looser' bridge, you'll be looking for a pre-2003 (?) S prestige, 2003->2007ish, the S prestige models were made in Korea and not as good as the earlier Fujigen crafted ones. If you absolutely need 24 frets, then any of the 2008+ ones will do, just find the color you want. The last 2 years have had the new wizard HP neck + TKS, so I'd probably go for one of those. The red viking finish looks pretty sweet.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Sledgeman
If you want the best S ever built(personal opinion), try to find an FGM(Frank Gambale Model). Think of it as an S with turbo.

This. Theres 2 on harmony-central right now.