Well since we all know the internet is full of wrong information/idiots like myself, I had some questions.

I've read in a few places that Blackouts distort your sound on clean settings, is this true?

Is there any difference in tone between the metal plated ones vs the originals?

How does this thing compare to those new EMG X series in ways like more treble, lower response, etc.

And that's it so let the flame begin. Unless I somehow ended up in that small civilized corner of UG.
Quote by Greatdude49

I've read in a few places that Blackouts distort your sound on clean settings, is this true?

With full volume on your guitar the cleans definitely break up quicker. But if you roll it back, you can actually get very nice cleans. This largely depends on your gear, however.

If you get both neck and bridge pickups, the middle position where both pickups are engaged is actually quite good for cleans.

Quote by Greatdude49

Is there any difference in tone between the metal plated ones vs the originals?

There shouldn't be, but then again I only own the regular black ones.

Quote by Greatdude49

How does this thing compare to those new EMG X series in ways like more treble, lower response, etc.

Blackouts are more mid-low range than EMGs. They have a fuller sound, and they definitely don't have that bright sterile character that you sometimes get with EMGs.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
1. If you crank the amplifier up, yes. I do prefer to have some "crunchiness" in my clean tones, but if I want to have it even cleaner, I just roll the volume back down.

2. I haven't played one, but I can't really see why it would be a major difference in tone.

3. Never played an EMGX pickup, so again, I can't say. From what I remember, they were released as a response to the Blackouts. From what I understand in reading things about the EMGX series, it's an active pickup with two preamps in it, one "normal" preamp, and the other to simulate a single coil-ish tone.

Still, you ask for tonal differences. Blackouts: More output, more low mids. EMG: More Treble/High mids, lower output.

Hope it helps!
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I bought a set of AHB1 blackouts last month and installed themin an epi les paul custom with the hardwae supplied and went according to the schematic that came with them and I love them. I have an epi g400 sg with active EMG's, I bought the guitar used with them already installed so I cannot speak as to whether or not the hardware (pots, jack, and tone caps) are what came with them. I think the blackouts are better, they are clearer, I absolutely love them. You will need to adjust your settings on your amp or effects rig and roll back to get a really good clean tone but you most certainly can get any tone you want (except country lol). Buy them, put them in a decent guitar and play with you rig (giggity) to get the tones you want. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!