Poll: What is your favorite DAW.
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your favorite DAW.
Cubase\Nuendo
12 16%
Pro Tools
11 14%
Sonar
3 4%
Logic
11 14%
Reason\Record
3 4%
Fl Studio
2 3%
Studio 1
1 1%
Reaper
26 34%
Ableton Live
3 4%
Other (post it in the thread)
4 5%
Voters: 76.
so Let's find out which daw is the most popular among our forum.

I personally voted for pro tools, as everything is just more efficient to me and the interface isn't to busy unlike EurrhmmmcubaseEurbbhh.

Anyway vote away!
I personally prefer Reaper. It's constantly updated, is in a way, free to use (though it's in your best interest to buy the licence for it if you like it), and it feels very intuitive and easy to use.

I've tried all the others, and I actually really like Ableton Live as well, though I feel like I "know" Reaper more.

I've had no problems with anything on it at all, the only downside is it doesn't come with all the stuff that say, FL Studio come with (like the instruments and things), though for someone like me who prefers real instruments anyway, this is really not a con in any way.
Don't think it takes much work to know who will be the only person voting for Logic

I voted Logic, but I will concede that if I had enough money I'd mix in Logic and track/edit in Pro Tools. Logic is so much more ingrained in my memory and I can do almost everything with an instinctive reaction... but it has its flaws, like all the DAW's do (be honest guys) and Logic's flaws are (currently) editing... particularly slip-editing and timing-correction edits like beat detective or elastic audio.

For me, Pro Tools is still one that requires a lot of money to get the best of, and is doing a lot to improve its rep but still falls short for too many things I'd want.

Reaper I haven't tried properly, but found it a lot like Cubase, which I dislike the GUI and layout too much to feel happy and inspired when using, and it just doesn't feel right for me. I hated Ableton Live with a passion when we had to use it at uni, and I think the only good things about Live are live sessions for electronic musicians, and MaxForLive which is great for people who want to get into plug-in design without learning everything about coding first.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Don't think it takes much work to know who will be the only person voting for Logic

I voted Logic, but I will concede that if I had enough money I'd mix in Logic and track/edit in Pro Tools. Logic is so much more ingrained in my memory and I can do almost everything with an instinctive reaction... but it has its flaws, like all the DAW's do (be honest guys) and Logic's flaws are (currently) editing... particularly slip-editing and timing-correction edits like beat detective or elastic audio.

For me, Pro Tools is still one that requires a lot of money to get the best of, and is doing a lot to improve its rep but still falls short for too many things I'd want.

Reaper I haven't tried properly, but found it a lot like Cubase, which I dislike the GUI and layout too much to feel happy and inspired when using, and it just doesn't feel right for me. I hated Ableton Live with a passion when we had to use it at uni, and I think the only good things about Live are live sessions for electronic musicians, and MaxForLive which is great for people who want to get into plug-in design without learning everything about coding first.

That describes my feelings the best Except I never really worked with logic and never really had the chance to test it out properly.

I have a love\hate relationship with pro tools. It's great yet , like you said, it's so damn expensive and you always seem to need something new or more. But I get things down 1\2 faster in PT then any other DAW.
If I had the money and a capable system I'd use Pro Tools 10, if I could use FXPansion for my vst's. Anything else, Reaper is amazing. I just wish it wouldn't crash so much for me anymore.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I've been around the block and used many DAWs. Reaper is the bee's effing knees for audio
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Odirunn
Audacity.

^ Damnit Adam, look what you've started!
Well, in a board where I'd say 80% or more users are Reaper users, its going to be another win for Reaper.

I voted Pro Tools. I've always been a huge fan of it. It does what I want it to do. Its got the most solid layout out of all the DAWs I've used (Repaer, Cubase, Garageband, Audacitly [lol], FLStudio, Ableton). The only problem I have with it is the same problem everyone has, it costs $$$ for everything. Though if you spend the money on FXPansions VST to RTAS, you're set.

Reaper is, and always will be, a starter DAW to me. Its good, a little clunky to navigate and doesn't come with much. On the other hand, its very processor efficient (I was mixing 16 track sessions on a netbook with it) and there are hundreds of tutorials for it.

Cubase needs to go die in a hole. Worst DAW ever
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Odirunn
Audacity.

Sooo futuristic.
My Gear

Douglas SR-370
"Fender" Grand Prix
Fender Mustang II
Teleno Acoustic
Reaper

After using Reaper and Pro Tools, I cannot stand to use Audacity. It's so clumsy and destructive (literally, vs non-destructive editing) and it doesn't mix well. No good plugins either. You might as well get the trial of Reaper if you're going to go that route.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
After using Reaper and Pro Tools, I cannot stand to use Audacity. It's so clumsy and destructive (literally, vs non-destructive editing) and it doesn't mix well. No good plugins either. You might as well get the trial of Reaper if you're going to go that route.

Adam (Odirunn) posted it as a joke... he's a Reaper user I believe. As for mjones1992... I haven't a clue, but doesn't look promising
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Apr 3, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Adamm (Odirunn) posted it as a joke... he's a Reaper user I believe. As for mjones1992... I haven't a clue, but doesn't look promising

Yeah I got it I just know some people who think it's awesome.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
To the 5 people that voted for Cubase, show yourself and prove why you voted for such a shitty DAW or I'll just assume you all meant to click Pro Tools
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Well, in a board where I'd say 80% or more users are Reaper users, its going to be another win for Reaper.

I voted Pro Tools. I've always been a huge fan of it. It does what I want it to do. Its got the most solid layout out of all the DAWs I've used (Repaer, Cubase, Garageband, Audacitly [lol], FLStudio, Ableton). The only problem I have with it is the same problem everyone has, it costs $$$ for everything. Though if you spend the money on FXPansions VST to RTAS, you're set.

Reaper is, and always will be, a starter DAW to me. Its good, a little clunky to navigate and doesn't come with much. On the other hand, its very processor efficient (I was mixing 16 track sessions on a netbook with it) and there are hundreds of tutorials for it.

Cubase needs to go die in a hole. Worst DAW ever

I knew from the start there was gonna lot of bias for for reaper around here. It's a great little program. I keep it on my laptop for quick session or to sample sounds or record anywhere. I even keep a copy on a key drive.

but yeah pt is my favorite.(+ im set for 4 years of free updates).
Quote by lockwolf
To the 5 people that voted for Cubase, show yourself and prove why you voted for such a shitty DAW or I'll just assume you all meant to click Pro Tools

Well, we know axeman will vote for Cubase (assuming he hasn't already) so there's at least one decent Cubase user
Yep. Here I am on the Cubase boat!

I love it. What's not to like? I've used protools and not once did I find myself wishing, "Gee, I wish I could do that in Cubase." Not once.

Once I had to deal with customer support, and Steinberg Canada was fantastic. They took care of me very well.

Now, to be fair, I don't have a lot of experience with other DAWs. I got Cubase when I got started over ten years ago (geez, almost 15 now), and it was almost $500 then. A couple hundred here and there for upgrades along the way, and I have no real justification for even considering switching platforms. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it, and I'm reluctant to throw more money at something that isn't a problem.

Steinberg invented the VST and ASIO standards. They came out with quantizing audio when ProTools was still trumpeting their Beat Detective. Midi implementation is second to none. You can utilize your external effects as if they were plugins.

Yeah, it has been a long learning curve, but I now find the ease of use, range of features, quality of plugins, stability (yes, I said that!) and customizable workflow to be an amazing package overall.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Logic is so much more ingrained in my memory and I can do almost everything with an instinctive reaction...

This.
RIP Gooze

cats
I've only used FL Studio, Studio One, and Reaper. Here's my opinion:

FL Studio: Really great DAW if you're into making loops or adding lots of of virtual instruments to your songs. But things can be difficult to figure out and the program overall is a bit too complex for the average singer/song writer.

Studio One: Pretty simple to use and lots of great sound effects. However, and maybe its just my imagination, it seems to add compression to the stuff you record.

Reaper: Very simple to use and a very plain/basic layout but at the same time it lacks some great features that the other two programs have.

I tend to use all three for different applications. Sometimes I'll record something in one and export it to another to add stuff. I'm fairly new to recording, though, so I don't really have an "expert opinion" on which would be considered the best.
Having tried a few different software & hardware DAWs, my current favourite is the Tascam 2488 MkII.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I use acid and FL, personally i think acid is more user friendly than fruity loops, but FL is definitely prettier and has some decent plugins.

All that being said, i really like recording in acid though theres not really a good time stretching tool in it like in PT
Quote by Odirunn
Audacity.

I use Audacity for simple chopping and stuff of MP3's but it's Reaper all the way now for recording.
Cubase for me. I have Pro Tools too but I just can't stand the randomness of the UI. But if I ever used it for long periods of time like I do with Cubase then I will get used to it, I just don't need to.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Adam (Odirunn) posted it as a joke... he's a Reaper user I believe. As for mjones1992... I haven't a clue, but doesn't look promising

Actually Ableton Live, but I still record bum tracks in Audacity.
Out of ProTools, Cubase, FL, and Reaper, I'm going with Reaper.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Apparently the new Magix DAW is the bees knees. Don't know anything about it though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Apparently the new Magix DAW is the bees knees. Don't know anything about it though.

The future is in Studio 1!
Logic on my Mac - Reaper on my PC
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I haven't gotten to try a lot of the DAWs out there, but I have tried a few (FL Studio, Ableton, Reaper, etc.)

I liked Reaper and used it for a long time, but it was a little clunky and the worst was that it CRASHED. ALL THE TIME. Very annoying. Especially when you're running on a nicer system and expect to sit and put a few hours in. Halfway through, a crash can be extremely frustrating.

Although I'm still finding my way around Ableton, I've found that Ableton is awesome in the aspect that it has great features for all genres and it will end up being much more versatile of a program than any of the others I've tried. Plus.. it doesn't CRASH.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
I use Reaper mainly, though I own Pro Tools 9, Studio One Pro, Cubase LE5, FL Studio and Samplitude SE. It can be buggy at times, which really bothers me, but when it's working correctly, it's an awesome tool.

I do plan on switching to either Cubase 6 or Logic Pro when I upgrade my computer and interface. I love Logic, but seeing as I don't plan on buying a Mac laptop anytime soon, it'd probably be more beneficial to me to stay with Cubase, since it's cross-platform, and I can transfer my projects between desktop and laptop. We'll see though - If I end up going with an Apogee Ensemble, Logic all the way
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I use Reaper mainly, though I own Pro Tools 9, Studio One Pro, Cubase LE5, FL Studio and Samplitude SE. It can be buggy at times, which really bothers me, but when it's working correctly, it's an awesome tool.

I do plan on switching to either Cubase 6 or Logic Pro when I upgrade my computer and interface. I love Logic, but seeing as I don't plan on buying a Mac laptop anytime soon, it'd probably be more beneficial to me to stay with Cubase, since it's cross-platform, and I can transfer my projects between desktop and laptop. We'll see though - If I end up going with an Apogee Ensemble, Logic all the way

How do you like studio 1 ?
Quote by ShevanelFlip

Studio 1 is cool I like the GUI. If I didn't love FL so much and have life time updates I would probably run Studio 1.

I think DAWs have some of the worst GUI of anything type of program I have ever seen. Although I do like Logic's look...but I don't have a mac...
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 6, 2012,
Just switched from Reaper to Studio One about 3 months ago. At first didin't like it, but now I am a fan. For mobile recording, nothing beats the Tascam 2488mkII.
Quote by ShevanelFlip

I dunno... I has some of the best stock plugins I've seen in a DAW, but the interface is totally different than what I'm used to, and I can't seem to get a hang of it. I'd love to learn more about it, but its so different from everything else, that I'd really need a good bit of time to sit down and play around with it. It's a really neat DAW though. For a beginner, the presets they have set up for mixing in it are fabulous and a great starting point.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com