I've been thinking and it seems that the bass clef (as well as all other clefs besides treble) are just a useless creation. Does it serve any purpose beside making you memorize another set of notes?
Just is just one example, but if piano just read off of the treble clef, there would be lots of ledger lines making it almost impossible to read. It is much easier to read treble and bass clef then it is to read lots of ledger lines.
I think bass clef is okay, but the dumbest clef is alto. I mean violas, really?
Well if you play piano, without the bass clef you would have a shit ton of ledger lines lol. As for alto clef, and the other ones I can't think of right now... I don't think so.
Well with an instrument that can span multiple octaves (such as the piano) it makes perfect sense or there would be like 15 ledger lines for every bass note which would be both a) incredibly difficult to read, especially quickly, and b) would make the sheet music look like a muddled mess
It's useless up until you play an instrument with a range of notes lower than C4, then it kinda becomes important.

Edit: Also I play viola and it alto clef is needed because you cant put the lowest note of a viola, C3, onto a treble clef without many ledger lines, and you can't put the higher notes on a bass clef for the same reason.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Apr 3, 2012,
Bass clef is essential. Alto and tenor? Eh, they've become outdated with a few small exceptions like the viola. But there are quite a few instruments other than the guitar, TS.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Try writing a tuba part for someone only in treble clef. Then try reading it. Then come back and tell me that bass clef is useless.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Option 1: Memorize another set of notes (oh the humanity!)

Option 2: Have to deal with a crap load of ledger lines
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
you don't really have to memorize another set of notes. depending on the type of gig, i have to be able to read bass or treble at any given moment. treble is the same as bass except up a third (or up a line if you want to think of it that way, as i do). bass is GBDFA. treble is EGBDF. see what i mean? when i read treble i just shift it up by a line in my eyes. alto clef is just between the two. on bass C is the second space from the bottom. on treble, C is the third space from the bottom. on alto, C is the line in the middle between where it is on bass and treble. so you can think of it as a notch down or up depending on what you usually read.

the only thing i don't like which is tenor clef. which is great because lots of solo string bass literature is in tenor or switches in and out of tenor and bass. it's a good thing classical is just a hobby i suck at.
#DTWD
Quote by Life Is Brutal
BLARGH.

I honestly don't see the need for the tenor or alto clef though, those are just annoying to read.

Historically, the purpose of these clefs is to cover the most if not all of the normal vocal ranges of different singers without having to use more than one set of ledger lines either side of the stave. As such there's soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, tenor, baritone C-clefs besides the usual treble and bass clefs, and a few other G and F clefs. A lot of these clefs exist because instruments and/or voices weren't expected to play such extreme ranges, and one clef could cover most of the music written for them. As time went on, and more technical demands were made on both players and instruments, a lot of these became superfluous as music started having more ledger lines in it anyway, so it made sense to do away with some of the clefs and deal with ledger lines instead of inventing more clefs.

However, alto clef still definitely makes sense today, and I don't know why cellists, trombonists etc. use tenor clef instead of alto to cover their mid-high range, but I guess it's some historical reason, and it's not exactly a huge leap from learning one to learning the other.
I guess it's all perspective..

If you play tuba, the Treble Clef, is pretty much useless...

If you want to learn guitar, the treble clef is your main tool... BUT.. if you want to learn "Music" you have to use all of the tools...

Look at it this way... If you work at Jiffy Lube, you can get by with a couple sockets and an oil filter wrench... The rest of the tools are useless and would just take up space...

If you work for a Nascar team as their Master Mechanic, you'd better have all the tools in your tool box...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by primusfan
you don't really have to memorize another set of notes. depending on the type of gig, i have to be able to read bass or treble at any given moment. treble is the same as bass except up a third (or up a line if you want to think of it that way, as i do). bass is GBDFA. treble is EGBDF. see what i mean?

... How the **** have I not realized this?

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking