Hey UG, I have a show coming up and just averted one guitar disaster but caused another.

When I plugged my guitar (Strat) into my amp it caused this terrible noise. I fixed the problem by opening up the output jack and re-saudering one of the wires that had become unattached. But before that, I absent mindedly started taking off the pickgaurd. I had loosened all the screws and then realized I only need to take off the output jack.

Now the problem with loosening the screws is that the pickups have been moved. Loosening and tightening the screws around the pickups seems to move them up and down. I have no idea what levels they were at before but now the are causing my guitars strings (at least the top 3) to not be intonated correctly. The low E string doesn't play a perfect A at the 5th fret and the 12th fret is straight f*cked.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks for your help!!

Edit: My guitar is like this one:

only it has a whammy bar
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Apr 3, 2012,
Yeah those screws next to the pickups are for raising and lowering them.
High pickup = more volume/output.

What probably went wrong is that you moved one of your pickups too high up and now the magnet is pulling on the string, causing the intonation to be thrown off. Just lower the highest pickup a couple of turns on both sides and you should be fine.
GEAR:
1987 Ibanez RG550 w/ DiMarzio PAF Pro and Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
Quote by grungelive72
Yeah those screws next to the pickups are for raising and lowering them.
High pickup = more volume/output.

What probably went wrong is that you moved one of your pickups too high up and now the magnet is pulling on the string, causing the intonation to be thrown off. Just lower the highest pickup a couple of turns on both sides and you should be fine.

Yeah, I've read quite a few articles and that seems to be the case.

Ive adjusted the levels and it sounds a lot better. Thanks for the help!!
yes, just make sure theyre not so high they throw off the tuning or intonation but other then that, height is just preference
Quote by Thomme
I lol'd

You're so helpful
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?