Hey dudes,

I need a new guitar to be played in drop C for my band. We play alternative/post-hardcore stuff with guitars that sound metal. Definitely looking to play EMG pickups.

The 2-3 guitars I was looking at are the Ibanez ARZ 800 and the ESP/LTD EC-1000 Deluxe.

Both guitars seem real similar - the only notable difference I saw was that the Ibanez has a 25" scale which may be better for drop C?

Last guitar I was looking at was the Ibanez RG Premium without the trem (fixed bridge). I hear the premiums are real nice and are close enough to a prestige. The premium is a bit more expensive and I would need to get the EMG's installed as well.

I'm going to the store to play all 3 next week, but wanted to get some further opinions as well. Any thoughts and opinions would be awesome. I play rhythm guitar if that makes any difference. I play an Ibanez S Series which I love, but that will move to be my backup.

Here's the 'sound' of my band if that helps: http://www.facebook.com/thepreluderock
i've got an ec-1000 in my hands as we speak. i've got 'er tuned to drop b (playing a few skillet and red songs) and i've only got 11-54 (maybe 56) on there...

needless to say, its holding the tuning.

as i tell everybody though. dont listen to anybody on here cuz their opinions are biased toward they like/dislike and will not necessarily apply to you. play everything you can get your hands on and remember that tone can be changed. feel of a guitar cant. emgs will sound (almost) the same in every guitar so buy one you like the feel of rather than something that just has them in there
I'm a big Ibanez fan but I've played the ARZ800 a few times (cause it looks awesome) but I didn't like the neck on it. Personal preference of course. But yeah in terms of tone I would recommend the EC. Those things are metal beasts.

But yeah, play them and see what you like. I think the EC will sound better (through a good amp of course) but you might find you like the neck profile on the ARZ in which case go for it.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Owned an arz800, it was pretty decent but imo overpriced for a thin veneer'd chinese ibanez. Neck was a bit fatter then I care to play, neck heel cutaway on the ibby however was the most comfortable I've ever seen on an LP. Several finish flaws from the factory.

Imo korea>china, but they're going to sound very similar plugged in, so just see which sounds fuller acoustically and feels better.
sweet, awesome opinions! glad to see the EC holds your tune in drop B with just 11's too! that was one thing i was worried about since they will all be in drop D when i test them out.

anyone have any experience with the RG premium? I know they're relatively new.

and yes, i'll be trying them all out - I just wanted your BIASED opinions 1) because i'm excited before I go in the store and 2) i want to try and take notice of some of these things when i go into the store to try em out. bringing my rig and going in one of their backrooms to jam for an hour or so.
I've played on 4 premiums so far, I'll stick with my rg1570 any day. Cost less (used) too.
They are pretty decent guitars, dont get me wrong, but the Prestige neck feels better, the body is more resonant and full, and I seriously dislike veneers. Mij>Mik>Mii>Mic. Buy a used prestige if youre thinking of a premium.

mine is for sale btw. Bkp pickups
my only problem would be I am trying to stay away from the trem's. they introduced a new RG prestige, the RG3521 recently which has a fixed bridge, but it hasn't been around enough for people to be selling them used yet.
Last edited by kcg6690 at Apr 4, 2012,
esp ltd ec1000
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Between the ESP-LTD EC1000 and Ibanez ARZ800, go with the ESP-LTD. From my experience, build quality is a bit better than the Ibanez's.

As for RG premium, if you're going to go that route you might as well go with a used Prestige. Honestly, it's not that much of a hassle to set up a Floyd (or Edge, in this case) for alternative tunings, despite what UG will have beginners believe.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 4, 2012,
I actually have the opportunity to buy a new RG1421 10th anniversary prestige (with a fixed bridge) for the same price as a new premium from a friend. Lives out of state though so unfortunately won't be able to try it out.

If I fall in love with the premium in the store over the ARZ/EC-1000 after I play them then I might buy the prestige from him.

Thanks again for the opinions - prompted me to ask my buddy if he had a prestige and he happened to have a new one!
Last edited by kcg6690 at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I've played on 4 premiums so far, I'll stick with my rg1570 any day. Cost less (used) too.
They are pretty decent guitars, dont get me wrong, but the Prestige neck feels better, the body is more resonant and full, and I seriously dislike veneers. Mij>Mik>Mii>Mic. Buy a used prestige if youre thinking of a premium.

i wasn't impressed with the premiums i have played. i have two prestiges and they are by far built better than the premiums or the LTD.

if you like how the ibanez prestiges feel, they are top notch flawless build, you can tell that they have put some time of skilled craftsman (as well as CNC or what you have) but they are solid. the only downside however is the electronics aren't the best on the 1XXX or 2XXX Dimario/Ibanez pickups, or the 3000 comes with dimariozos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Made in Korea (EC) > Made in Indonesia (ARZ)

The EC-1000 series has more options/variety (Finishes, Aesthetics, features, pickups, fretboard wood (rosewood and ebony)

42mm nut vs 43mm (big hands vs small hands?)

All you can see at first glance...

MAKE SURE TO TEST THE GUITAR YOURSELF!! DO NOT BLIND BUY!!
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000
ESP EDWARDS LP-92CD
Shchecter ATX Blackjack
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (H-S-S)
Quote by sehnomatic
Made in Korea (EC) > Made in China (ARZ)

The EC-1000 series has more options/variety (Finishes, Aesthetics, features, pickups, fretboard wood (rosewood and ebony)

42mm nut vs 43mm (big hands vs small hands?)

All you can see at first glance...

MAKE SURE TO TEST THE GUITAR YOURSELF!! DO NOT BLIND BUY!!

Fixed.
Quote by wleykansa12
Hı guys i want to buy arz700. Can someone tell ne what the guitar is like

Not sure. All I know is to get the LTD.

Also don't bump 5 year old threads.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend