In many videos and guides i noticed that they say playing with right hand fingers curled inside will help increase speeds.I play leaving the fingers relaxed often touching the pinky to the body of the guitar and i use mostly wrist muscles for playing . I believe my picking ability is way too poor. its been 4 years i been playing cant even play master of puppets in track tempo wth full downstrokes.I tried curling the fingers inside it surly increased the picking ability but that makes playing altogether very difficult.Suggestions? thanks in advance.
I think it is faster with your hand curled up, but I don't find it very comfortable either. I keep my fingers out as well, but just don't touch any of them to the body, or anchor them, so they say. Anchoring will slow you down much more than your fingers hanging down instead of curled up. As long as your hand, and arm/wrist is relaxed (very important) and you are comfortable and you aren't anchoring, I personally don't think the rest matters. But if you do stick them out as opposed to letting them rest/hang naturally it tenses your muscles, and that is the one sure way to have poor picking.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Apr 4, 2012,
Do whatever is most comfortable. Just make sure that if you are touching the body with your pinky that you are not creating excess tension or limiting your range of motion. That's called anchoring and can be harmful both to your body and your playing ability.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Upon finally seeing myself play, my technique looks EXACTLY like Willie Adler's. Which ain't so bad, but prob a little ugly in the "technique" department
Quote by bdof
Upon finally seeing myself play, my technique looks EXACTLY like Willie Adler's. Which ain't so bad, but prob a little ugly in the "technique" department

1. It doesn't matter who's technique yours looks like. My friend has the same technique as George Lynch. Do you think he can play like George? Hell no.
2. How is what your technique looks like relevant to this thread?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
2. How is what your technique looks like relevant to this thread?

Thread title: Right hand technique
I pick with my right hand

U Mad? Calm down.....
Quote by bdof
Thread title: Right hand technique
I pick with my right hand

U Mad? Calm down.....

yeah but did you read TS's question(hint it's what the thread is really about)?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by treysonpwaters
I think it is faster with your hand curled up, but I don't find it very comfortable either. I keep my fingers out as well, but just don't touch any of them to the body, or anchor them, so they say. Anchoring will slow you down much more than your fingers hanging down instead of curled up. As long as your hand, and arm/wrist is relaxed (very important) and you are comfortable and you aren't anchoring, I personally don't think the rest matters. But if you do stick them out as opposed to letting them rest/hang naturally it tenses your muscles, and that is the one sure way to have poor picking.

Hey thanks everyone for replying. Surely increased my confidence.Im goin to stick onto my technique. Btw i dnt anchor my pinky anywhere it just slightly touches the body thats all.My technique is bit similar to petrucci. Have seen rock discipline many times. and wot abt using wrist muscles for playing, i use the muscles of fingers holding the pick excessively does it decrease the speed.
Last edited by vimal_6strings at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by vimal_6strings
Hey thanks everyone for replying. Surely increased my confidence.Im goin to stick onto my technique. Btw i dnt anchor my pinky anywhere it just slightly touches the body thats all.My technique is bit similar to petrucci. Have seen rock discipline many times. and wot abt using wrist muscles for playing, i use the muscles of fingers holding the pick excessively does it decrease the speed.

Picking with your wrist is how it should be done, but you don't have to hold the pick that tightly. You want it just tight enough that you have control.
Quote by Geldin