i was practicin downpicking till i was tired. okay okay ookay. my arm feels tired thats it.

then i slept.

then i woke up i felt my arm hurting like hell. its been like this since yesterday. its like the same feeling when i first started playing badminton. and then i just continued playing badminton hahaha

well my question is

do i need to stop practicing till the pain goes away? .. cuz thats probably gonna be a few more days I don't want to stop practicin )X
first you should probably stop playing till the pain goes away.

also are you tensing up while practicing, you shoul try to practice using as little tension as possible because tension can lead to problems like CTS and tendonitis
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If you are new to guitar, then it's to be expected. Like kryptic said, wait until the pain goes away first. Each time you practice it will hurt less and less and it won't be long before you can practice as much as you want every day painlessly.
Quote by Jahan Honma
If you are new to guitar, then it's to be expected. Like kryptic said, wait until the pain goes away first. Each time you practice it will hurt less and less and it won't be long before you can practice as much as you want every day painlessly.

Wrong. Pain is never good. If you're in pain, you're doing something wrong.

TS, take a day or 2 off from playing and hopefully the pain will go away. If not, see a doctor. After that, take a look at your picking technique, or better yet post a video for us to critique it. It might just be that you are tensing up because you are trying to go too fast too soon (and that's probably the problem but not for sure) or it might be a problem with how you're holding the guitar, how you're picking, etc.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Wrong. Pain is never good. If you're in pain, you're doing something wrong.

TS, take a day or 2 off from playing and hopefully the pain will go away. If not, see a doctor. After that, take a look at your picking technique, or better yet post a video for us to critique it. It might just be that you are tensing up because you are trying to go too fast too soon (and that's probably the problem but not for sure) or it might be a problem with how you're holding the guitar, how you're picking, etc.
I took it easier yesterday and didn't do anything up to my normal speed. It's getting a bit better, I feel it the most when I lift my arms up, behind my shoulders. I'll post a video one day.. if I'm still stuck at my current speed.
If its a case of practicing a technique you're not used to, you should break up your practice time to avoid building pain. If it starts to hurt when practicing a certain technique, take a break and rest then come back to it. Keep taking breaks when it starts to hurt. Gradually, the length of time you are able to practice should increase as the pain should reoccur less.
Quote by Stephen Quinn
If its a case of practicing a technique you're not used to, you should break up your practice time to avoid building pain. If it starts to hurt when practicing a certain technique, take a break and rest then come back to it. Keep taking breaks when it starts to hurt. Gradually, the length of time you are able to practice should increase as the pain should reoccur less.
Thanks, my arm is all better now. I can practice again, this time with experience with me, of knowing what might happen. A break really did help. c:
Don't get back to practice like normal yet. Fix your technique, check your playing posture and see if you can actually be relaxed before you start playing. After that play slowly while being aware of the tension in your body especially from fingertips to the collarbone and the upper-back.

If you're new to finding problems in your technique your awareness of your body won't come naturally, but it will keep improving if you concentrate on it and your playing will need much less effort.
Quote by Unrelaxed
Don't get back to practice like normal yet. Fix your technique, check your playing posture and see if you can actually be relaxed before you start playing. After that play slowly while being aware of the tension in your body especially from fingertips to the collarbone and the upper-back.

If you're new to finding problems in your technique your awareness of your body won't come naturally, but it will keep improving if you concentrate on it and your playing will need much less effort.

^^This^^

if you eliminate the tension of playing, it is less likely that you will have this problem again!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by luxeion
Thanks, my arm is all better now. I can practice again, this time with experience with me, of knowing what might happen. A break really did help. c:

No problem. I've had similar problems, mostly involving barre chords with unnecessary pressure on the joint of the thumb. Appropriate posture is also essential. Sitting straight is more suitable than being slumped on a sofa or bed. Also, regular practice standing up will also allow you to practice as if at a live show.