Can anybody give me a low down on these units?
Is it worth the extra money for the 500? What features do i gain/lose in choosing one or the other?

Also, any similar units in the same price range?
Sweet.
There's a comparison chart on the Line6 website. As far as I remember, the biggest differences with the 500 are tone stacking (running two amps at once) and a greater number of footswitches (and consequently the ability to run more effects at once as compared to the 300/400). All three units are great--same sound technology and whatnot--but you should evaluate your needs, look at the chart and choose accordingly.

Here's my edit to be more helpful: Comparison Chart
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Apr 4, 2012,
Actually...just going by the chart alone is not enough I think...

Someone might have to correct me, but I believe the latest updates for the Pod HD only works on the 500 and Pro.
Those updates include bass amps, some more guitar amps, mic pre-amp, and controls for the power amp - like sag, bias, master and a couple of new ones with the latest patch I believe.
On release you didn't win too much by getting the 500, but now you might really be missing out on stuff if you get 300 or 400.

Anyway, someone might have to correct me on this possibly.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
There's a page on the line 6 website that lists all 3 units with checkboxes to compare features between them.

That being said, I'd at least go for the -400. It allows you to use dual amps, has more I/O's, more effects useable at once, more switches, etc, etc, etc. And the -500 has even more options than the -400. I have a -500, and it's a pretty solid unit. I got it mainly as a backup, but I also use it when I want to practice with headphones, or record some quick clips DI into the PC. I only got the -500 because I basically got it for the price of a -400, so why not right?

I think GS_Lead has a lot of info on the Digitech RP series, but I've never used them myself. Maybe PM him or something.

EDIT: damn you ninja posters!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Shor
Actually...just going by the chart alone is not enough I think...

Someone might have to correct me, but I believe the latest updates for the Pod HD only works on the 500 and Pro.
Those updates include bass amps, some more guitar amps, mic pre-amp, and controls for the power amp - like sag, bias, master and a couple of new ones with the latest patch I believe.
On release you didn't win too much by getting the 500, but now you might really be missing out on stuff if you get 300 or 400.

Anyway, someone might have to correct me on this possibly.

You're correct. But, to be honest, if I could save money and be content with my choice, I wouldn't miss this stuff.

And just my two cents, I would avoid the RP series. I had an RP1000, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I thought the POD wrecked the RP in terms of options and sound (both in amps and effects). [This edit only reflects my opinion and is not meant to offend anyone who holds a different opinion.]
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by bAngiel01
You're correct. But, to be honest, if I could save money and be content with my choice, I wouldn't miss this stuff.

Yeah, if that was the only update available, I'd agree with you..
But 2.0 (I think it was 2.0 anyway..) and 2.02 (released just the other day) has a LOT more features that are incredibly good.
I don't have the feature list on me, but google should provide feature lists.
The new Plexi in the 2.02 update seems incredibly good as well, judging from peoples reactions.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by Shor
Yeah, if that was the only update available, I'd agree with you..
But 2.0 (I think it was 2.0 anyway..) and 2.02 (released just the other day) has a LOT more features that are incredibly good.
I don't have the feature list on me, but google should provide feature lists.
The new Plexi in the 2.02 update seems incredibly good as well, judging from peoples reactions.

Good point. I think we need to know more about the TC. Right now, I'd really like to know his budget. I mean, if he can manage a POD Pro and a controller, that's what I'd buy.
the 400 is plenty. It also has many effects the others (the 300 and 500) do not. 500 would be nice but for my needs (which is strictly direct recording), it is more than enough. It all really depends on what you are looking for
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Budget?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Well my budget isnt really set. If i need more money to get something better then i will just wait an extra week for payday.
I don't want to spend more than £400 at this point.
Can anybody explain The Pod Pro and a controller that was mentioned? How does it differ from the other pods?
Sweet.
Quote by BC_Warlock
Well my budget isnt really set. If i need more money to get something better then i will just wait an extra week for payday.
I don't want to spend more than £400 at this point.
Can anybody explain The Pod Pro and a controller that was mentioned? How does it differ from the other pods?

I don't know if it differs too much. I believe it offers more in the ways of connectivity and amp, cab, and mic models; but I'm not positive if the increases are enough to justify the fact that it costs $200 more than the $500 HD500. It's essentially a rack version of the HD500, and it has many similar features (insane number of presets, tone stacking, number of active effects, etc). A floorboard controller will just allow to work with the unit and do certain things without actually having to touch it (turning effects on/off or switching amps in tone stacking, for example). The Behringer controller is decently favorable and would work. (This set up would probably fun you about $900 stateside, so I'm guessing that's too much?)

I would definitely not be disappointed if I had to get the 500 instead of the Pro, though. Whatever is within your budget is what you should go for.

Also, if you're into metal, Ola Englund (fearedse) on Youtube has done several videos with both his HD300 and his Pro (he even compared the latter to an AXE FX). Check 'em out.

And as always: link to POD Pro.
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Apr 5, 2012,
Yeah, I was going to get the pro, but settled on the 500. $200 more for the unit, then another $200 or so for the board, when the 500 has almost the exact same features and the footswitches included. Just didn't make sense for me to pay almost $400 more, even though I would have preferred to mount it in my rack enclosure.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes