So I've been looking at the MXR 10-band eq, as well as their 6-band. I'd like to use it primarily for bumping the low mids for any time I just want to chug or am playing heavy palm-muted riffs. Plus, I'd be able to dial back in some of the bass that my TS-9 cuts. But it also might be nice to have some control over the high to very-high frequencies so I can run pretty high gain and still cut some of the fizz associated with that.

The only reason I hesitate to go with the 10-band is price. Is there enough versatility in the 6-band?

I'm not sure I want to go with a Boss; I had one a long time ago when I was a noob and remember it adding a lot of hiss.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 4, 2012,
I am going to follow this, because I am kind of at the same point. Don't really have the extra 100 to throw around but it would be nice to have.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
The Boss is very noisy unless you mod them. The MXR 10 band is the one to get. It's better at everything. Not because it has more bands, it's just better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the Boss 7 band and the MXR 10 band. Hands down the MXR 10 band is the one to get. The Boss does add a bit too much unwanted noise in my opinion. Since I got the MXR, my Boss collects dust or get's used on my secondary pedalboard...
I think the 10 band is too much IMO. I have the MIJ Boss 7 band and it is not noisy and it works very well for me. I guess you just need to try both out to see what you like, I love my boss eq though
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Agreed, a ten band for guitar is overkill IMO as well. That being said, I have the MXR 10 band and it's awesome.
Quote by madh4ttr
I think the 10 band is too much IMO. I have the MIJ Boss 7 band and it is not noisy and it works very well for me. I guess you just need to try both out to see what you like, I love my boss eq though

This is what I was going to say. MIJ Boss pedals kick ass. At one point I had an MIJ EQ, as well as an MII EQ. The MIJ was quiet, while the MII was hissy as hell.

I don't like the MXR 10 band because A) it uses 18V, which is a pain in the ass for setting up a pedalboard, B) it takes up a lot of space, and C) Adjusting 7 bands is a lot easier than adjusting 10 bands.

IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by madh4ttr

I use a 15-band EQ with my amp, and every frequency, even the lowest lows and highest highs, has a noticeable effect on my sound.

You're not losing anything by going with more bands, since (for me, at least) once I find the ideal tone with the equalizer, I leave it that way forever and tweak on my amp.

I had an MXR 10-band, great pedal. The 18v power requirement is a bit annoying, unless you have a Voodoo Labs PP2+ or something like that which can put out 18v as well as 9v.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have a 10 band mxr.....it may be overkill to have 10 bands but i still love it. all that being said,i dont see why a 6 wouldn't serve you well. but at the end of he day, its your choice. happy hunting!

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
If you really care about every nuance of your sound, go for it.

If you're like me and really simple minded, then it may not be as necessary.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
speaking of eqs, what are opinions on the danelectro fish and chips eq?
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Shecter Hellraiser Crimson Burst
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line6 Spider IV
Dunlop CryBaby Original:
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll probably save for the MXR 10-band. Chances are, I'd be happy with the 6-band, but then I'd always wonder - "what would happen if I could control this frequency...."
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The 6 band MXR doesn't have an overall level control like their 10. To change that you have to disturb all the sliders.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by livingston96
speaking of eqs, what are opinions on the danelectro fish and chips eq?

I hear it's good for the money. Maybe noisy and plastic.
Quote by Cathbard
The 6 band MXR doesn't have an overall level control like their 10. To change that you have to disturb all the sliders.

The level and gain sliders are a really nice feature. It's worth the extra just for those - I'd say. 4 more bands are icing on the cake.
I like having lots, but then again, I don't even use my 7-band really.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."