I am in the hunt for my first electric gat.
I have been looking at the fender road worn mex hss strat.The one with Tex specials and Seymour Duncan humbucker.
it seems like a reasonably priced, versatile guitar.
Anybody have any thoughts? Pro's/ cons?I am very close to making a purchase.

Thanks
It's a pretty nice guitar overall. Go for it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
what's your budget and what country are you in (affect prices)?

what amp are you looking at?

initial thoughts are that you could do an awful lot worse, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey there,

I'm in Hong Kong.
No amp yet, nor pedals. That's why I should probably get a moderately priced guitar.
My budget is about $1000 aussie dollars which in today's exchange rate gets me a guitar for about $ 7700 hkd.
The main music shop here, Tom lee, seems to deal in fender, ibanez and others. I honestly haven't seen a genuine Gibson anywhere here.anyway, I think a strat suits my playing.
There seems to be so much variety with pickups and switching that I feel one guitar may,for instance, give me an amazing funky vinta ge sound while failing to step up and have a set of balls when required, and obviously vice versa.
The Deluxe Player's Strat is my favorite MIM Strat. 12" radius and V3 noiseless pups for under $700 brand new? Yes please.
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 4, 2012,
^^ thanks

yeah i think an HSS strat/superstrat is pretty versatile and a good way to go for a first guitar

how much do you have for an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Amp situation Is tricky.
There is no point buying a big amp, because after all, I am in HK, and I will never be able to really crank it due to the dense living. most venues, and all rehearsal spaces come equipped, as lugging amps around this city is a nightmare.

Is there a small, boutique amp that someone can recommend.does a smaller amp necessarily sound worse? It won't be for gigging.
I was plying a wicked sounding fender blues amp the other day. Didn't catch the model, really didn't have alot of overdrive, but a pedal can fix that right?'twas too big and expensive though.

I'll look into the deluxe players, thanks. Does that have a humbucker? If I get a strat without a hummer, what are the down/ upsides.

Thanks chaps!
There aren't any particular advantages or problems with getting a normal Strat instead of one with a humbucker. Humbuckers and single coils sound different, but neither is worse/better than the other. Just different. So which you should buy depends on what kind of tone you want. Humbuckers obviously don't have any hum, and they also have a much more powerful sound with more mids and more bass. Single coils have a much brighter tone with much less bass. So go with whatever tone you think you'll prefer.

Having an HSS guitar does give you more options. You can use an HSS Stratocaster for almost any kind of music. An all-single coil Strat isn't quite as versatile, but obviously it's more 'classic' so some people prefer that even though it's perhaps a bit more limited.

If you want a Strat with a humbucker I'd suggest the Deluxe Lone Star. The humbucker is the same as the one on the Road Worn Player HSS Strat, but the two single coils are better in the Lone Star. Basically, the ones in the Lone Star are Texas Specials made by the Fender Custom Shop. The ones in the Road Worn Player are Texas Specials made by the regular Fender place. It's not a huge difference, but the Lone Star's pickups are slightly better.

Most importantly the Lone Star Strat is usually cheaper than the Road Worn Player Strat. The finish is poly instead of aged nitro, so the Lone Star looks brand new instead of the worn-out look of the Road Worn guitar, but the pickups are a bit better and it costs less so there's not much point buying the Road Worn. Lone Star sounds better and saves you money!

As for the amp, don't worry about it too much. Not everybody needs to have a huge amplifier at home and if the venues near you all have amps you can use then there's no problem. It might be good to have a small amp at home but you should get a good guitar first, worry about a practise amp later.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah that's true

maybe something like a vox mini 3 or roland microcube. shouldn't break the bank but will be a lot more fun than playing unplugged

fwiw i wouldn't get a blues junior if you want dirt. a pedal can "fix that" to a certain extent, but it'll still never be as good as an amp which is aimed at distortion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers fellas,

Ok, so I will have a look into the deluxe. Hopefully there will be some in stock.and the amps also, I definitely will need one." small,compact, kickass amps" maybe this would serve as a good thread.

Thanks again.