Page 1 of 2
...That is not a Roland JC120. I'd love one but they're too much $$ for me, even used. And the more inexpensive used ones are in bad condition.

But let me explain what I'm trying to do first:

Every try combining a really bright clean chorusy sound with a distorted sound to occasionally put accents on arpeggiated chords? The sound is magical. I like to run a clean/chorus amp off to the side with my Jet City and occasionally blend the two together using a Volume pedal (using the dual outputs on a Ernie Ball VP Jr.) to give a unique crispness to certain chords.

Right now I'm using my old Fender Stage 100, but this thing is a piece of shit. For one it's not bright enough and doesn't cut, doesn't have enough treble or high-mids, and it also has a bad grounding issue that sends a horrid buzz through my whole rig.

Any suggestions on a good, SS pristine amp anywhere under $500? Right now I'm set on a Roland Cube 80xl since it's cleans model the JC120, though I'm also seeing a Peavey Classic-Chorus on my Craigslist going for around $300. Only downside to that one is the suck shit speakers it's loaded with.

Whatever the suggestions are, keep in mind it has to be bright, crisp, and articulate. So that means do NOT recommend a Peavey Classic 30. My dad used to own a Delta Blues (same as Classic 30 but with 2x10 instead of 1x12), and that thing was muddy, compressed, and overly boxy sounding no matter what we tried to make it sound better. I DO NOT want to deal with another one of those.

I'd also like solid-state, because I'm looking for a somewhat colder, quicker responding sound. Think JC120 cleans.
Look for a JC60; one half of a JC120. Otherwise the Cube is a good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The best thing I can think is the Cube 80XL, I'd go with that.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Frontman 212r?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Try a Laney LV series. Maybe the LV300T, which is a 2x12" combo.

I use a LV300H precisely for that kind of JC-120 sound.
I almost never even use the drive channels; the clean channel is excellent and it has a "Bright" switch just like a Roland JC. I use the clean channel as the foundation of my sound, and then use my pedalboard for OD/distortion, chorus, etc., because it takes effects pedals perfectly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'll look into the JC60 and the Laney that were mentioned. I like the looks of the JC60 but the single 10-inch speaker kinda turns me away a bit.

Not bothering with a Frontman. The Frontman is just a reissue of the Stage 100, except it has shitty Fender-made speakers instead of a Celestion G12T-100. It would be even worse than what I have now.
Used Peavey Stereo Chorus gets my vote
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The 10" speaker sounds fine in a JC60. You can always plug it into another cab anyway. They are a lot lighter and easier to cart around than a JC120 - a lot. I'm pretty sure I've seen one with a 12" in it too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by steven seagull
Used Peavey Stereo Chorus gets my vote
Any first hand experience with it? How are its cleans/overall sound compared to the other listed choices? I've seen a lot of these for great prices used but all the Youtube demos are of terrible sound quality and are nearly useless (really, can these people not record their videos with something better than a calculator? And learn how to play? )

Quote by Cathbard
The 10" speaker sounds fine in a JC60. You can always plug it into another cab anyway. They are a lot lighter and easier to cart around than a JC120 - a lot. I'm pretty sure I've seen one with a 12" in it too.
Hmm... that's right, I do have a 1x12 cab that I was considering selling; I'd actually have a use for it. I'll reconsider the JC60.
*Bumpity...*

Considering both sound based off of the limited I've heard and price, I think I might grab myself a Peavey Stereo Chorus. It sounded good in the few really shitty YT videos, so I can easily say it will sound great in person.

Though which option of these 2 should I go with?:

A.) Get the head version (HERE ) and use it with my Krank 1x12, or

B.) Grab that 2x12 combo on my local Craigslist.

The advantage of getting the head is that I'll be able to use something else than shitty stock Peavey speakers, and can actually use any cab I want. But the combo will be cheaper, though I can't get warranty coverage on it (where with GC I can).
While you said you didn't like the Delta Blues I used one for a long time, the 115 verson, with a JBL D130F speaker. It gave it a GREAT clean tone and was extremely articulate. The problem with the Delta Blues, especially the 210, is that the speaker is complete shit. That being said, not going to try to sway you to that, instead you might find the speaker part useful.

If your looking at getting a cab or using a cab you make want to look at the JBL D120F or even an EVM12L (Modern Production D120F and even better than the original) for the speaker. That is the 12" version of the 15" I kept in my amp. Extremely articulate and will take a beating. It essentially does nothing to color the sound at all. So if you put it in a clean amp its going to be as clean as can be, and in a dirty amp it can be downright nasty.
The Roland solid state amps really are superior. Why not just save a little more and get a JC120?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Ian_the_fox
*Bumpity...*

Considering both sound based off of the limited I've heard and price, I think I might grab myself a Peavey Stereo Chorus. It sounded good in the few really shitty YT videos, so I can easily say it will sound great in person.

Though which option of these 2 should I go with?:

A.) Get the head version (HERE ) and use it with my Krank 1x12, or

B.) Grab that 2x12 combo on my local Craigslist.

The advantage of getting the head is that I'll be able to use something else than shitty stock Peavey speakers, and can actually use any cab I want. But the combo will be cheaper, though I can't get warranty coverage on it (where with GC I can).

One thing I loved about my old Peavey Bandit was the cleans, the Stereo Chorus just does them better. An old guitarist I know swears by his, they have really clear tone anyway but the onboard processing is also really good so you can get some amazingly lush, rich tones by tweaking the modulation or the reverb.

Also they're pretty much indestructable like those old Bandits. If you can lug it around and it's cheaper then the combo is worth getting, the head is possibly a more convenient option in the long run but it's a stereo amp, I don't think it's tube, so not really much point running it into a single speaker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want the cleanest from any amp, a speaker swap can do it.

A JBL G125-8 12" (60-7000 hz) or a 12" Altec 417-8H (60-8000 hz,) if remember the model correctly, swap will crisp up whatever you've got like crazy. Most guitar speakers top out at about 5000, it seems. The JBLs are the ones with which I have intimate, personal experience (I own a few) and the Altecs I heard in someone else's amp for an evening.

Anyway, the JBLs I have add nothing to the tone; they just put out what's given them. They frickin' ring like a crystal bell if you want them to. I don't know how they did it but those JBLs are way louder than anything else was in the same amp. One can play with the volume knob quite a bit lower. The guy's Altecs rang similarly but the Altec handles less wattage (100 vs the JBL's 200) so you can't push them as much. He was playing through some old Fender, I forget which exact model. I was floored by the clarity and asked him what was up and that's how I found out about his speakers.

I'm playing mine through a Fender Twin and if I want to sound like it did with the Jensens it came with, I turn the treble on maybe 1.5 or 2, max, & the bass down completely with the middle on ten. If I turn the master volume to ten and use the volume to control the heard volume, my Fender sounds almost digital sterile, like totally clear.

Thank God for little tube preamps. I get the sound without the volume I used to need. I was considering selling or trading my amp off just to get some distortion at a reasonable volume. Now the amp runs clean and I use a cheap-o Behringer MIC100 on the neutral setting for gain. I still keep the amp's volume on ten, though, with the master down. I can't help myself.

Note: I am unfamiliar with 90% of the suggested fixes mentioned here so I'm not saying anything bad about them. All I know is that the G125-8 swap changed what I had radically, a huge, huge difference.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Apr 7, 2012,
used music man amps go for ~500, they have headroom for days. they are a hybrid amp, with a solid state preamp and a tube power section. great reverb, 70's models have trem and 80's models have phaser. great amps, i have 3.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
you haven't been able to get a used JC120 for $500 and under? That's what I got mine for, but anyways...any of the other JC models would be a nice choice. Also if you are looking for SS try to find a yamaha G100, it sounds misleading but they can be a great amp, and you can usually get them dirt cheap which means you have more room for any mods or work you might want to put into it
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I gigged with a Yamaha G100-212 for about 10 years. It would indeed do the job.
Be aware, the level control on the parametric uses an odd 4 pin pot that's basically impossible to buy. The other pots are just normal garden variety stuff but if that particular knob is faulty you are going to have to live with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You might try finding a Sunn Alpha, they're a smaller amp but impossible to distort. The older ones were tube and the newer ones (after like '75 or so) were SS. Both had a similar tone within reason.

Actually a lot of Sunn models didn't distort too well. They either distorted like crazy or didn't at all. Kinda makes sense, since Fender bought them out in the early 80s I think it was.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread, been recording all day. I actually managed to grab ahold of that Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 head from guitar center, plus 1 year coverage in case it fries (probably needed since SS amps aren't as easy to fix as tube amps are).

Only thing I worry about is: will I still be able to get the chorus effect if I'm only running one speaker in mono? All I have aside from my 4x12 is a Krank 1x12. Should I/do I have to invest in a 2x12?
You will still get chorus, you just get half of it. It will sound fine.
You can patch whatever you like between the preamp and the power amp on those things anyway. Those are stereo jacks back there. Stick a Quadraverb in there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Stick a Quadraverb in there.

+1

i am so buying one of those.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
+1

i am so buying one of those.

At the price they sell for now how could you not?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gahh... I've already run into a problem and I haven't even received the amp yet. xc

The manual (link) is telling me that in order to use the onboard chorus, I need the footswitch connected. The GC inquiry doesn't mention the footswitch being included.

Based on my searches footswitches for this head are IMPOSSIBLE to find. I haven't been able to find one.

Could I use any other 4 button footswitch with it? According to the manual it connects with a .25" phono jack, has 4 buttons, and has no LED's on it. I've read that most footswitches are interchangeable unless they have LED's on them. Can anyone confirm this?

The only footswitches I can find are the ones for the combo, which use 7 pin instead of 1/4" phono.
4 switches? I'm to entirely sure how that works with a TRS cable. Maybe T-R, T-S, S-T, T-R-S? Dunno. I'm sure some experimentation would get you the results you need. You have a schematic? That'd take the guesswork out of it. Or at least it should.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ I can't find a schematic for the head (or footswitch), but here's the manual: http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300707.pdf

It's odd because look in the manual for the 2x12 at the back panel picture: http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300578.pdf It shows a 7pin jack instead of a phono. It doesn't make sense to me why Peavey would make 2 different footswitch jacks for the same amp, just in a different casing. Could this be an illustration mistake?
It is odd. The only way I can see the 1/4" TRS jack working is if the footswitch has some logic circuits in it. Which makes replication a PITA without a schematic.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Not a DIN plug? I'm confused.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Music Man amps like people have said, or Fender Silverface Bassman.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Seems like it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, there's my next challenge: finding a used 6-pin Stereo Chorus footswitch. I'll do it tommorrow, I'm going to bed (3:00 AM here).

If I can't find a footswitch, is it possible to jumper the pins in the DIN jack to complete the circuit so I can utilize the Chorus channel? Is that safe to do?
Yeah, or you can just make your own footswitch, you have the schematic. You just need to determine what type of switch it takes. If shorting the control line to common changes it's state until you remove the short then you need a latching footswitch. If it changes back and forwards every time you tap the short into place then you need momentaries.
Make a frame out of timber and put a piece of 3mm aluminium sheet on top for the footswitches themselves to mount to.
Drill a hole in the side of the frame and cover it with another piece of aluminium sheet for the DIN plug to mount to - then wire it all up.
Done.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100