I have a Presonus Firepod and it quit working so I sent it in to get fixed. They charged me $80 + $20 shipping, and I got it back and it worked for a couple hours and quit working again. So I emailed them (It took over a week to respond, and it's impossible to get off hold on the phone.) and they gave me a free repair and free shipping label. I thought it was all good until I got it back and it worked for literally 5 minutes and then quit working again. Hope you guys stay away from Presonus. /rant.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
ive had the firestudio for over 2 years now, no problems
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
my firetube studio started having an issue, that being said i've had it for almost 3 years (though not a TON of use) i'm probably going to switch to the saffire firewire
Quote by z4twenny
my firetube studio started having an issue, that being said i've had it for almost 3 years (though not a TON of use) i'm probably going to switch to the saffire firewire

Do not switch to the saphire... Its buggy, switching sync source at random and whatnot. My school has 10 of them and it happens to every single unit every once in a while.
I know they CAN be a reliable name but anything I've ever used or owned by presonus has been absolute junk, I'm right there with ya
Quote by Yax
Do not switch to the saphire... Its buggy, switching sync source at random and whatnot. My school has 10 of them and it happens to every single unit every once in a while.

alot of the regulars around here suggest the saffires so i'm going to try one out. GC has a decent return policy and i won't be getting rid of my firetube until i'm sure i'm keeping the saffire.
While I have no issues with the actual products myself (from limited experience) I think their reputation for poor customer service is quite well-known unfortunately :/ It's a shame, 'cos they represent a decent mix of value for money and quality when the stuff actually works.

I had actually considered trying to get one of their Studiolive desks in the future, but may think again now!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I really like Presonus preamps. They're probably my favorite under $1000, but I will never buy their products again with the issues I had with my Firepod and a friends Firestudio. I switched to a Saffire Pro 40 and haven't had a single issue since.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Yax

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have a pro40 and so far it never had any glitch or problem with it. It's a great not to expensive interface.
Quote by Yax

Only just noticed this, but I'm fairly confident if all the units are doing this, it's actually a clocking issue and something is interfering with the Saffire's internal clock and telling it to switch source (and sometimes the sample rate, perhaps?). Focusrite are a brilliant company, and I've yet to experience any issues any issues with them (tracked the drums for my band's album into an Octopre, and have used the ISA One on vocals a few times before - both were brilliant and had no faults I experienced).
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Only just noticed this, but I'm fairly confident if all the units are doing this, it's actually a clocking issue and something is interfering with the Saffire's internal clock and telling it to switch source (and sometimes the sample rate, perhaps?). Focusrite are a brilliant company, and I've yet to experience any issues any issues with them (tracked the drums for my band's album into an Octopre, and have used the ISA One on vocals a few times before - both were brilliant and had no faults I experienced).

Huh, I see.
Aw don't say that about the Saffire's. I'm switching to the Saffire pro 40
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
Aw don't say that about the Saffire's. I'm switching to the Saffire pro 40

As far as I've ever heard, Focusrite have a wonderful track record and some of their older units' feature elements designed by the legendary Rupert Neve, which has trickled through into newer designs etc.... not many companies can say that about their technology (to my memory, only Neve and Rupert Neve Designs can, though I can't remember if I'm imagining that he had a hand in some API desks a long time ago).

The likelihood of the unit not working perfectly normally is very low, even with something made by Behringer or indeed PreSonus. Unfortunately, you're one of the few who appear to have had a dodgy bit of gear from PreSonus, and the main issue is their crap customer care after that I'd say.
My 2626 was a ****in' nightmare. My Liquid Saffire 56 isn't perfect.

Everything pretty much sucks, you just gotta get lucky... lol
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
My 2626 was a ****in' nightmare. My Liquid Saffire 56 isn't perfect.

Everything pretty much sucks, you just gotta get lucky... lol

Hey it's Kerry.

I've a presonus audiobox and I'd not recommend it, especially if you don't have a Mac. Windows drivers are very unstable (and they need to be re-installed like every month), the worst thing anyway is that the two inputs are too damn hot (and clipping is unavoidable with direct guitar recording).

And yes, as Kyle62 said...the crippled Studio One they give you is a joke.
Quote by tr3nt
Hey it's Kerry.

HEY MAN!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
the current saffire pro 40 unit has been in production for several years now. it is old legacy technology and focusrite just refreshes the drivers for it every year. the preamps are great, but only if you are already using a standalone pre in front of it.

the gain is very weak. my mic'd mesa mark iv with audix i5 and sm57 practically touching the grill, had to turn the channel gain up to 7 out of 10 to get something usable. and that is just mic to saffire to firewire to logic. for vocals even worse, gain needs to be turned up to almost 9 to get a strong enough signal. and you might say, well what's the problem? when you turn up the gain that high, it introduces a lot of fuzz, noise, hiss. so when you go to mixing it is extremely noticable, requiring you to eq it out. this should not be apart of your workflow, an interface/preamp should be able to hand a signal transparently without having to almost max out the gain and add more noise. also if you're using a macbook pro, disconnecting the unit for any reason requires a full reboot to reconnect it. anytime you want to use it, with lion osx, it must be connected first, then boot the computer. the unit is good for multiple i/o, that's about it. like i said, you need standalone pres if you want to use this.

this was after 3 solid weeks of use and many many different signal path configurations.

im not going to check back on this thread because surely someone is going to attempt arguing with me about this because they've had a saffire that worked perfectly, etc. but you see, i've already learned my lesson, so convincing me is none of my concern. i simply wrote this so that the OP or people searching for saffire info would find it and consider. feel free to pm if you have additional questions.

the biggest reason i posted this is because someone ignored earlier advice and said GC has a good return policy yada yada...well not with focusrite saffire pro 40. no music stores will take it back once it has been opened. i went through that experience as well. MF, zzounds, AmericanMusical, etc...it's a policy of focusrite's. and im not just talking about the software discs, if you open the box at all, it's unreturnable. so to the kid insisting on trying it out and then returning it, i would do some more research.

i am now using a duet 2 and the sound quality is amazing. studio clarity, minimal gain required.
Quote by xtheclincherx
so to the kid insisting on trying it out and then returning it, i would do some more research.

maybe i'm a preferred customer as the GC in my area advised i had 30 days to check it out. also i'm 31 doucheface
Quote by z4twenny
maybe i'm a preferred customer as the GC in my area advised i had 30 days to check it out. also i'm 31 doucheface

lol doucheface? for 31 that's pretty immature and highly unoriginal. if you got offended by the colloquial use of the word "kid," then you have serious mental issues and may want to look into getting a security blanket.

in fact, i encourage you to go waste your time with the saffire unit. because jerks are not the people i was meaning to help. people like you deserve to learn the hard way. and if you are a preferred customer at GC, that tells me everything i need to know about your knowledge of studio equipment.

run along son, go get that saffire that the helpful guy at GC said to get.
That's a huge bummer to hear. I have heard the preamps are a bit quiet but not to that extent. Not sure what to do anymore.

I'm looking at the duet right now.. Where are the mic preamps?

Edit: Didn't see they were on the breakaway cable.

What are the differences between the duet and the duet 2? I'm crying right now because I want 8 ch.

Last edited by tr3nt at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by xtheclincherx
the current saffire pro 40 unit has been in production for several years now. it is old legacy technology and focusrite just refreshes the drivers for it every year. the preamps are great, but only if you are already using a standalone pre in front of it.

the gain is very weak. my mic'd mesa mark iv with audix i5 and sm57 practically touching the grill, had to turn the channel gain up to 7 out of 10 to get something usable. and that is just mic to saffire to firewire to logic. for vocals even worse, gain needs to be turned up to almost 9 to get a strong enough signal. and you might say, well what's the problem? when you turn up the gain that high, it introduces a lot of fuzz, noise, hiss. so when you go to mixing it is extremely noticable, requiring you to eq it out. this should not be apart of your workflow, an interface/preamp should be able to hand a signal transparently without having to almost max out the gain and add more noise. also if you're using a macbook pro, disconnecting the unit for any reason requires a full reboot to reconnect it. anytime you want to use it, with lion osx, it must be connected first, then boot the computer. the unit is good for multiple i/o, that's about it. like i said, you need standalone pres if you want to use this.

this was after 3 solid weeks of use and many many different signal path configurations.

im not going to check back on this thread because surely someone is going to attempt arguing with me about this because they've had a saffire that worked perfectly, etc. but you see, i've already learned my lesson, so convincing me is none of my concern. i simply wrote this so that the OP or people searching for saffire info would find it and consider. feel free to pm if you have additional questions.

the biggest reason i posted this is because someone ignored earlier advice and said GC has a good return policy yada yada...well not with focusrite saffire pro 40. no music stores will take it back once it has been opened. i went through that experience as well. MF, zzounds, AmericanMusical, etc...it's a policy of focusrite's. and im not just talking about the software discs, if you open the box at all, it's unreturnable. so to the kid insisting on trying it out and then returning it, i would do some more research.

i am now using a duet 2 and the sound quality is amazing. studio clarity, minimal gain required.

I don't know what's wrong with your unit but mine certainly doesn't have any of those issues.

Unless you're recording guitars SUPER quiet, then I have no idea why you'd ever need your preamps cranked that high. You're recording in the digital domain, you're not gaining anything by getting near the red, you're actually degrading the signal. You should be striving for about -18 dBFS, leave plenty of headroom.

Whenever I record distorted guitar, I have the amps up at about band level, and 4 on the Saffire preamps are as far as I'd ever push them. For drums, it's more often that I have too much gain (mainly on kick mics), even with the preamps turned down WAY low.

As far as vocals go, it depends on the vocalist, and the microphones you're using. I have issues with it driving the SM7b on quiet vocalists (I'm mainly recording metal, so the main problem is with screamers who do fry vocals), but at that point, I would just change the mic. The Saffire preamps have more than enough gain to drive an SM7b for guitar, kick, snare, hi-hat, etc.

Not knocking the Duet. It's a great unit, and certainly has more gain on tap (75db vs 60db), but to say that the Saffire has as little amount of gain as you're saying is absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if your unit was faulty, or you're just trying to push your levels far more than you should be. The Duet's conversion and preamps might be slightly better than the Saffire, in sound quality, but you're also paying $100 more, for only 2 mic pres, and much less routing options - You can't expect the same results.

Quote by tr3nt
I'm looking at the duet right now.. Where are the mic preamps?

Edit: Didn't see they were on the breakaway cable.

What are the differences between the duet and the duet 2? I'm crying right now because I want 8 ch.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet2.php#chart
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xtheclincherx
lol doucheface? for 31 that's pretty immature and highly unoriginal. if you got offended by the colloquial use of the word "kid," then you have serious mental issues and may want to look into getting a security blanket.

Long story short,"kid" is not a colloquial term it's condescending and that's how you used it. In regards to your massive doucheface, i calls'em like i sees'em (THATS a colloquialism) i think the rest of your post reinforces my initial statement.

Alot of people on these forums seem to think that generally they're good interfaces with better pres and drivers than the firestudio that i'm using, so yeah in this situation a lot of users firsthand experiences have been generally good and i'm going to go with general consensus instead of someone trying to talk down to me, imagine that.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 5, 2012,
for what it's worth, i went to guitar center last night and all audio interfaces (at least sold from the store in arlington tx) have 14 day return policies regardless of the interface. i even double checked and clarified that focusrite is included in that list. so maybe check with your local GC but checking one out shouldn't be an issue to anyone