I'm quite taken with the idea of an overdrive pedal to use with my Bare Knuckle Holydiver pickup so I wondered if I could get some advice as I know very little about them.

I've been looking at getting a Bare Knuckle Warpig to give me something that was thick and fluid like the Holydiver but with a bigger, fuller and much more saturated tone. Now I'm seriously wondering if simply using a decent overdrive would get me where I want. My only previous experience with an overdrive was a Bad Monkey that I used in conjunction with my old Marshall amp.

The key question here is, would an overdrive pedal do what I want with the Holydiver? If it would, could you please give me some guidance on overdrive pedals. I'm currently watching this lot on Ebay but I have no idea how good any of them are or if there are some other alternatives I should look at:

Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss OS2 overdrive/distortion
Boss OD-3 overdrive
MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo
Blackstar HT-Drive

All the Boss variants are especially confusing.

Thanks for your help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Fulltone OCD is a great overdrive. Very versatile.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
I think what you want is a tubescreamer, but I'm sure an owl will help you out with this soon.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
yeah it may do. and the cheaper ones would be a lot cheaper (not to mention easier to use i.e. no soldering) than a warpig

i'm guessing a tubescreamer-style one would work. joyo does a clone for about £25-£30, called the vintage overdrive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cant go wrong with a tubescreamer

also look at a keeley modded Boss BD-2
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
not much point in starting out with an expensive one till he sees if it'll do what he wants.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, as with all of my pedals, I'm searching on Ebay as well as new. The TS9DX looks like a great unit but I'm also currently watching a TS9DX with the 808 mod (not sure what that is), an MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive, Blackstar HT-Drive and the Joyo pedals. I may also consider another Bad Monkey, which is the only overdrive I've ever owned before. If anybody has any experience and/or comments on any of these pedals I'd love to hear from you as at the moment I haven't tried any of them and there is no realistic likelihood I will before I buy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The amp would be the ultimate deciding factor. It's not clear what amp. The op only mentioned "old Marshall". Unless I missed it, what amp?
The only problem with the tubescreamer is the way it cuts out so much bass. Rather than getting one and modding it to what you like (also a fine idea if you are up to it) then I'd go for one of the TS clones with a bass control like a green rhino or a bad monkey.

But really:

Tim from toyroom effects (greeny23 on this forum) will make you a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
The only problem with the tubescreamer is the way it cuts out so much bass. Rather than getting one and modding it to what you like (also a fine idea if you are up to it) then I'd go for one of the TS clones with a bass control like a green rhino or a bad monkey.

But really:

Tim from toyroom effects (greeny23 on this forum) will make you a Timmy.

i second this. seriously.

my pedals are better than sex.
mojostompboxes.com
So are the bad monkey's good pedals? I mean, at a third of the price of the tubescreamer, are they comparably good?
And seeing as Timmy has been plugged; how much would it be to get a pedal from you guys? Looked on your site and didnt really see that anywhere...