Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys,
has anybody any idea how to get that awesome Malmsteen shred tone out of an marshall tube amp (setting of EQ,Delay,Reverb...)?
Satan laughes as you eternaly rott
Take a JMP 100 watt.
Dime it.
Eat a donut.
????
Tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by pwrmax
Get a Strat and play it the way he does

I have a strat and a marshall amp but i can't get that tone out of it -.-
Quote by oneblackened
Take a JMP 100 watt.
Dime it.
Eat a donut.
????
Tone.

))
the hair.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
get a ferrari
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
It's an MA, no wonder he can't get YJM's tone.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It's an MA, no wonder he can't get YJM's tone.

Sorry dude, not all of us can afford a "real" marshall
Quote by FalkFreak

Don't be so stupidly defensive, if you don't have the same kind of amp as Yngwie you're not going to get his tone, simple as that. No one's being an arse about it, that's just the way it works.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by FalkFreak

Buddy, I'm a 17 year old kid. I have a cheap rig too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
hit it with a boost

yng uses a dod 250, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
simple - use his exact guitar, with exactly the same strings, on the exactly the same scalloped fretboard, with the exact same kind of lead, into the exact same amp, in the exact same position in the exact same studio, with the exact same mic in the the exact same position, fed into the exact same mixer board at the exact same levels by the exact same producer.

easy.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Tone is all in the fingers. All of it. Even the gain stages.

Attack and dynamics is all in the fingers. I think saying "all of your tone" is in your fingers is the most naive thing guitar players believe.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Attack and dynamics is all in the fingers. I think saying "all of your tone" is in your fingers is the most naive thing guitar players believe.

I think you may have missed the joke
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Bridge pickup, keep the gain and treble pretty high. Don't overdo the low end, keep it tight but make sure your tone isn't too harsh. (Although Yngwie does have a pretty harsh bridge pickup tone.) I can't really give you exact settings because it depends on the amp, guitar, room, age of the strings etc.
It's a Strat, of course its gonna have a harsh, trebly bridge tone. Traditional strat wiring doesn't have a tone control on the bridge either.

If Yngwie plugged a Les Paul into Mesa he'd still sound pretty similar
Really? An LP into a high gain amp is gonna sound similar to a Strat through anything?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by Flux'D
It's a Strat, of course its gonna have a harsh, trebly bridge tone. Traditional strat wiring doesn't have a tone control on the bridge either.

Really? An LP into a high gain amp is gonna sound similar to a Strat through anything?

See the post above me.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's not the guitar it's the player.

Quote by JustRooster
See the post above me.

So you're both saying you can make a humbucker sound like a single coil?

/inb4 coilsplitting. That doesn't sound like a single coil.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D

/inb4 coilsplitting. That doesn't sound like a single coil.

The only somewhat convincing SC tone from a humbucker is an EMG 60 (to a point) or a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I forgot about the newer EMG thats literally two SA's stuck together, don't remember what it is. And +1 for the Humbucker from Hell. Outside of those, coilsplitting isn't very convincing.

I'm still curious how you make a humbucker sound like a single coil.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The EMG H and HA are single coils in humbucker housings.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/8/6/1
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's not the guitar it's the player.

The gear has more to do with it than the player.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Become Yngwie.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
^
/thread
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
the tone isnt really unique to just yngwie, but rather a simple single coil (neck and middle combined position) and a cranked marshall tube amp will get u pretty close.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by oneblackened
Buddy, I'm a 17 year old kid. I have a cheap rig too.

The gear doesn't matter any way, it's the playing that counts!
Quote by pinheadslts75

But still alot of tone comes from your style of playing and thats why im probably never gonna sound like YJM
Quote by Flux'D
I forgot about the newer EMG thats literally two SA's stuck together, don't remember what it is. And +1 for the Humbucker from Hell. Outside of those, coilsplitting isn't very convincing.

I'm still curious how you make a humbucker sound like a single coil.

I think we all agree dthat you'll need a real singlecoil to produce that Yngwie tone
rat
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Dave_Mc
hit it with a boost

yng uses a dod 250, right?

Yeah... I believe he use(s/d) a grey one. They fetch quite a price on the used market but it's easy enough to mod a yellow reissue (or YJM) to the same specs if you are so inclined.

FWIW I'm not a huge fan of the pedal so couldn't tell you how close the old/new ones are..

Other pieces of the puzzle: a loud marshall and dimarzio stacked singles (HS3 if memory serves.) A little digital delay and you'll basically be all the way there.. Just work on your chops.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
ok i see not a lot of helpful stuff on this thread. first and foremost you need low output pickups. the yngwie ones would be ideal but if not then low output ones. despite what some here have said yngwie doesn't use a ton of gain it's all about volume. when those old plexi's are cranked they do produce power amp distortion which is hard to duplicate at low volumes. on the MA you can use a small amount of gain or better yet an overdrive pedal. you'll have to experiment to get the best sound. don't expect to nail the tone but that will get you close. some delay as mentioned will also help. you have to be able to pick very cleanly or the sound with turn to mush. a lite touch helps when fretting as well.
Quote by power freak
Yeah... I believe he use(s/d) a grey one. They fetch quite a price on the used market but it's easy enough to mod a yellow reissue (or YJM) to the same specs if you are so inclined.

FWIW I'm not a huge fan of the pedal so couldn't tell you how close the old/new ones are..

Other pieces of the puzzle: a loud marshall and dimarzio stacked singles (HS3 if memory serves.) A little digital delay and you'll basically be all the way there.. Just work on your chops.

yeah

i've never tried the new ones or the old ones
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Flux'D

Yes. Many players do it quite often.

Listen, the gear isn't simply the answer. Many people play Stratocasters into Marshalls and don't sound like Hendrix or Clapton. Plenty of people run Les Pauls into Mesas and Bogners and don't sound like Mark Tremonti or Jerry Cantrell.

The simple fact is that unless you play exactly like someone, you won't sound exactly like someone. Check this out:

http://soundcloud.com/justrooster/demo-for-aaron
http://soundcloud.com/justrooster/stormcrow-demo

Those are grungy old metal songs I recorded with a Stratocaster. The first one is with a Hot Rod Deluxe, and the 2nd one is with a Blue Jr. Does that sound like the stereotypical sound to you?

For years Joe Walsh has used PRS and Carvin guitars through a Carvin V3. Does he sound like he has a sailing high gain tone?

Yes, gear is important. Yes, playing is important. If you have the same exact gear, you'll get close, but you don't get the exact tone. If you play the exact same way, you'll get close, but you don't get the exact tone.

Oh, and just to prove my earlier point, here's an SRV song being played through a B52 and a Les Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-XLH5kGnlc
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

i've never tried the new ones or the old ones

Its pretty much the same as the mxr distortion+ but with silicon clippers instead of the Ge in the mxr.. You get a little less fuzziness and more output volume but they're in the same ball park. I don't like either personally.

I've only breadboarded the grey circuit spec, I've heard people moan about the reissues but I don't know what the differences are.. Or how close the YJM is to the original.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Page 1 of 2