My band is doing a home studio EP and we have all the instrumentals down so now all we have left is to record vocals. We were going to buy a semi-legit mic before we start. I don't know how to categorize our band without pissing someone off, because if I call us metal, elitists would jump on that, and it would be inaccurate to call us metalcore/deathcore. We follow close to the metalcore/deathcore area, but aren't just chug chug chug. ANYWAYS... the point is that we have harsh vocals. None of our tracks have clean singing. What would be a good microphone under a lower budget for our style of music? The budget is about 200, but I might be able to negotiate with the rest of the band if I have a specific mic that is good, yet a bit out of the price range.

tl;dr What's a good mic for harsh "metalcore" vocals under a semi-low budget?
Shure SM-58 fills the bill for under $200 clams. You might be able to get by with a condenser mic, but it's really hard to recommend a specific mic, since everyone's voice responds differently.
Shure beta 58 . I have an Audio Technica AT2035 and it a good budget condensor. Has a -10 dB pad and an 80hz high pass switch. Very transparent mic, if thats what your looking for.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
For that price, you could rent a *very* good mic for a couple of days or so.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Because of the fact that all of your vocals are distorted I would suggest an sm58 or something close. They definitely aren't the best microphone when it comes to clean singing (in the studio), but something about them works really well with screams. You can get them for quite a bit cheaper than 200 as well
Thanks for all the responses. I have a Shure SM58 already laying around my house so I guess we don't have to buy anything.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Shure SM-58 fills the bill for under $200 clams. You might be able to get by with a condenser mic, but it's really hard to recommend a specific mic, since everyone's voice responds differently.

I really, really dislike the SM58 for most metal vocalists, especially on a recording.

A 58 should be a last resort, they're not particularly great sounding recording mics, but they're built like tanks, which makes them great for live use.

Under $200, try and find a used Audio Technica AT4040, or a Shure SM7b, if you get lucky. If you have to buy new, the Sterling ST77 is the best within your budget.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I really, really dislike the SM58 for most metal vocalists, especially on a recording.

A 58 should be a last resort, they're not particularly great sounding recording mics, but they're built like tanks, which makes them great for live use.

Under $200, try and find a used Audio Technica AT4040, or a Shure SM7b, if you get lucky. If you have to buy new, the Sterling ST77 is the best within your budget.

And it's incredibly amazing how many of those mikes find their way into the studio and the stage. They may not be the best mike out there, but, as you mentioned, they are built like tanks and depending on the application, they can work fairly well. As I mentioned in my first reply, it's really hard to suggest a mike for someone, since the one that works well for me, may not work well for you.

I guess we could say mikes are like blondes... Some guys find them attractive and some don't.
Sm58's are not studio vocal mics, they're very limiting.

Apart from that one story that is always brought up where actually it turned out one singer sounded shit through everything BUT an SM58
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Blue Spark, excellent mic for 200 and it has a high pass switch so you can sit a little higher in the mix than guitars and such.
Tbh for studio work on a budget I'd say a SE2200.

No reason not to tbh.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by llanafreak44
Sm57. For the people saying they're shite and get an SM7B, go to youtube and type SM7B SM57 comparison.

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=17704.0

I'll trust someone on recproaudio before someone on YouTube any day.

The problems with the YouTube demos are:
-taking an entry level mic pre that has questionably enough gain to run an SM7 properly
-another video that doesn't even specify any methodology
-both are... well... youtube flash video sound quality to begin with

By actually taking them apart and observing the capsules as described in the prosoundweb link, that is a much more compelling argument.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
First ask, "What do the professionals use?"

Professionals use Large Diaphragm Condensers for vocals. A Rolls-Royce option is the Neumann U87, which will cost you a few thousand dollars.

Okay well you can't afford that.

Now ask, "What can I afford?"

Well you can afford one of the following:

- Cheaper new mic

MXL mics are a good value for the $100-$200 price range. I've gotten good results with the 1006 I have in my kit. Is it a great mic? Eh... But consider the price.

Neumann is the Rolls-Royce. The MXL is a Honda Civic. Will it get ya there? Sure. Will you look good doing it?

- Used mic

This option is interesting. You may be able to get into a USED Shure LDC (or other major brand, like AKG) using an Internet service like eBay...

That's risky and not for everyone, but you may wind up finding PROFESSIONAL quality for your price range. You don't know until you look, but it's worth a shot, eh?

An AKG 414 is a GREAT MIC, and who knows? You may find one out there for $200. Heck you might get lucky and win an eBay auction for $50!

The AKG 414 is a Corvette of mics. It's not the Rolls-Royce, but who can argue with a Corvette? Even a used one is nice.

60's Corvettes, 70's Corvettes, 80's, 90's, does it matter?

That's the kind of mic we're talking about here.

So: new pedestrian, average Joe mic (like the MXL 1006), or roll the dice and see if you can get into a respectable professional mic (like the AKG 414).

I'm a dice man, myself.
An sm58 can work. I have something tracked with one and it sounds great. I was going to re-record it with a 4050 but I liked the original enough that I didn't even bother.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't mind spending some money.

I've always sort of favored the ATs out of the condensers I've used, but it comes down to the quality this EP is going to have.
If it's going to be pretty average then just give the SM58 a shot and see if you like the results.

But getting a different mic wouldn't hurt for this and any future use.

I do know of a great video when it comes to condenser mics and acoustic guitar, but you're going for harsh metal vocals which is totally different.
Nonetheless, this still might give you an idea on how the sound between the mics differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04vdECGx-8k
I recently bought an AKG Perception 420 for $250ish at Guitar Center. It has a switchable filter, polar patterns, and pad. Imho, a good mic for not a huge investment that will be very versatile for future use. Also, came with a case and shockmount. Not a bad deal.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."