Which do you prefer and why? I've tried the 81 85 set and love it but found a 81 60 set for cheaper. Any real differences? I've tried listening to youtube clips and can't really tell them apart that well. These will be going in a Ibanez RG3EXFM1.
Had both 85 and 60 in my Jackson. Liked the 60 more than the 85, sounded better imo. Then sold them and got SD's sh2/sh4. Sound much better in my opinion, also a lot cheaper.
im hoping that these will be able to do double duty for thrash and punk stuff. From the clips I've heard the blackouts sound entirely too saturated and metaly for what I'm looking for.
I prefer the 85.

Basically, the 60 is better for cleans and chords. The 85 is better for soloing with distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
85/60 is my favorite set. If you're just deciding on the neck pickup, I'd agree with Offworld's assessment. You're not going to have a ton of clean tones with either one, but the 60 gives you more versatility while the 85 is more of a variation on the bridge pickup than a traditional neck tone.
Blackouts.

Youtube clips are worthless. Listen to them in person, through the same amp as your own.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Apr 4, 2012,
+1 to offworld,

i like the 85 more for high gain solo's, but it does cleans fairly decently as well
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Go for a nice set of passives.
If your amp has any kind of gain that you like, your probably going to lose it - they are overbearing - IMO.

If you want to do punk, definitely go with a nice set of passives.
What kind of tones are you after and what do you want to improve from your current pickups?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
What kind of tones are you after and what do you want to improve from your current pickups?

generic punk tone and a nice thrash tone. My current pickups are muddy and lame ibanez stock V7/V8s.
I have an 81/85 set that I absolutely love, but then again I'm going for a highly saturated modern metal sound. For punk/thrash double duty you're definitely going to be better off with passives. Maybe Seymour Duncan Invader/JB or some bareknuckles if you're willing to pay for them.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Depending on the guitar and amp, maybe 85/60 set.

Pierce the viel use LTD guitars with EMGs and Orange amps. They get a pretty good tone for punk too, they use 81/60. All my EMG guitars have 81/60 or just an 81.

Tbh I much prefer passive but my buddy who ha similar musical intrests prefers actives. Its all preference
SD's Black outs are not better than EMG's, they are just different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoSvdirNK2o

OP is not asking about Blackouts!

OT I have a Viper-500 with EMG's (81 bridge - 85 neck) and there's something about the 85 that I don't like, note: maybe I haven't spent time exploring it's possibilities since I use that particular guitar for Hard Rock and Metal mainly (sometimes I play other stuff too). I have not experience with the 60 but almost everyone I know who has played with it says it's better than 85.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by P5ych0_Killer
^ Agreed. I'd go with passives. What amp(s) do you have??

i just sold my marshall dsl 401 so right now i only have a vox vt40+ practice amp. I'm on the hunt for a JCM 900 SL-X or MKIII though.
Quote by Mr E Meat
i just sold my marshall dsl 401 so right now i only have a vox vt40+ practice amp. I'm on the hunt for a JCM 900 SL-X or MKIII though.

selling a dsl and buying a jcm 900?
Quote by Mr E Meat

If you want a Marshall go for a JCM800 2203 or a DSL100. Is that MKIII a Mesa? If so, that's a good amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go passive, but if that's not an option - Definitely 81/60. A lot of people like the 85 in the bridge, but I've tried it a few times and just didn't dig it, except on a Strat, where it really needed the extra girth. Otherwise, the tone got muddy IMO. The 60 is, by far, my favorite EMG humbucker. Just kills in the neck!

Quote by holywins183
selling a dsl and buying a jcm 900?

The Dual Reverbs are the crappy JCM900s. The SLX and MKIIIs are AWESOME amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd go passive, but if that's not an option - Definitely 81/60. A lot of people like the 85 in the bridge, but I've tried it a few times and just didn't dig it, except on a Strat, where it really needed the extra girth. Otherwise, the tone got muddy IMO. The 60 is, by far, my favorite EMG humbucker. Just kills in the neck!

The Dual Reverbs are the crappy JCM900s. The SLX and MKIIIs are AWESOME amps.

I've never even heard of a MKIII.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a 81/85 combination in my Mockingbird, and through my JVM, it sounds killer. But to be honest, the 85, like previously stated, is better for soloing and such. The 85 can do cleans, but the 60 does them better.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
I'd go with the 81/60 for you, because the 60 has so much more cut. Think of it this way>>James Hetfield's signature rhythm guitar tone is a EMG 60 in the neck position, and it cuts through a mix just as well as most bridge pickups.
Dude, get all 3, and experiment!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."