I have my eyes set on The Ramapo College of New Jersey. I plan to take a Music major, with the concentration of Audio Production. The school isn't some kind of prestigious music school for prodigious musicians, in fact, its not a music school at all. It just happens to have a music program, and its also very affordable.

Anyway, My grades aren't the best, B or C average, and my SAT scores were only 1480. I've registered for the next test though and hope to do better. What I need to try and do though, is to make up for what I lack in grades with other things pertaining to what I plan to do in college.

Will these help me?

• I'm in a technical high school, and by the time I graduate, I will have completed 3 years in an audio production class
  • I work at a radio station as a board operator, and I'm also given the occasional job of helping out with song song edits
  • I have a few recordings that demonstrate my music and audio production capabilities, I could send them in with my application
  • I plan to take an online AP Music Theory class my senior year of high school (Next year). The class appeares to be very intensive and demanding from the description, but I believe it will look great for college

I would like to ask about the last bullet. I do want to take the AP Music Theory class. I've never taken an AP class before, and I don't know if an AP "elective" will be taken as seriously as AP Calculus or the sort, also since its online.

Info on the Online AP Music Theory class: http://www.govhs.org/Pages/Academics-Catalog Click By Discipline>Arts>AP® Music Theory Section CMA.

All in all, I know that none of this is an excuse to have low grades and scores, but it is what it is, and I need something to compensate for it now. Opinions? Recommendations? Critisizm? Anything would would really be appreciated. I just want to know Would I look good on a college application for a student going into a Music Major?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Austindicola at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
why dont you try Rutgers? Their music program isnt too bad and its just as cheap if not cheaper than Ramapo

Thanks, I took a look at Rutgers, and they don't have an audio productions class. To be honest, I really don't care too much about music theory, I just want to take Music Production, and Ramapo seems to be the only state college in the state that has what I want. (It needs to be a state college for financial reasons). Thanks again though, I do have to have a few different colleges in mind when sending out apps, so maybe Rutgers is a candidate