A few weeks ago, I made a thread about swearing and whether or not a person should stop because it bothers someone.

Something I've been wondering about is relevant. And I've never had a clear opinion because I find both sides compelling in their own way.

Anyways, at what point do you distinguish between when you should not do something because it offends people, and when you should do as you please because people who are offended can go fuck themselves.

For instance, say a guy has a pink polo he likes to wear. However he knows that there's a guy at work who is for some reason very offended by men wearing pink. But most people would say "hey, that guy shouldn't care about other people wearing pink. He's being ridiculous. If the guy wants to wear pink, as feminine as it is, just let him."

Then with swearing, it got more divided. Some people said that people who are offended at swearing are being ridiculous, so people who swear shouldn't restrain themselves for ridiculous requests if someone asks them not to swear. At the same time, not swearing isn't hard, it's a simple form of courtesy and consideration, so to not do so would be rude.

I remember StewieSwan said "Offense is taken, not given."

Also, I saw this picture which is somewhat relevant:

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Offense is taken not given. (heard that off Jimmy Carr before Stewie)
The "offensive" comments made though, could be (and probably are) in bad taste and would be personally disrespectful. That's where I'd generally draw the line.

As in the difference between making a joke about a person because they're black compared to making a joke about a person because their kid just died of cancer.
In situations where it's pretty clear that people will be offended if you go through with something, I think it should be avoided. In situations where the offended person is being just plain ridiculous, they probably deserve it for being a bitch.
If I had to think about it that much, I just wouldn't say anything at all.

I usually just say whatever comes to mind.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
I thought this was going to be about sports based on the title. Stupid homographs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I thought this was going to be about sports based on the title. Stupid homographs.

Hey, that's offensive!
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
If some guy gets offended by another guy wearing a pink shirt, they're the one that has some major issues.... just saying.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
I remember that thread.

We are so afraid to offend people now, we feel the need to walk on eggshells for everyone.
I don't think you should just be a dick to everyone, but it's annoying how the one with the irrational hypersensitivity gets to dictate the actions of the entire group.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by severed-metal
Good because you're shite at posting.

How about you suck my dick.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
How about you suck my dick.

I don't think our locations would make that easy and I'm a little tight on cash.
I enjoy offending prudes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by severed-metal
I don't think our locations would make that easy and I'm a little tight on cash.

Don worry, itll reach.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Jackal58
I enjoy offending prudes.

I enjoy offending ALL OF THE THINGS!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Don worry, itll reach.

I don't know whether to be concerned about his penis length being over 2000 miles, or that you're confirming it's that long.
Quote by severed-metal
I don't know whether to be concerned about his penis length being over 2000 miles, or that you're confirming it's that long.

Be concerned about both.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by severed-metal

Offense taken sir.

EDIT: Just found the line Madcap.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
When people are offended by something I'd done that's probably in poor taste to begin with, I stop. If I start talking to a Catholic person about how all Catholics are child molesters, and they tell me to shut up, I will promptly shut up. When someone gets up in arms about something ridiculous, I'm not going to stop. If I tell a Catholic person that for me, the idea of a God watching over everything I do is at best an alien concept my mind simply can't wrap itself around and at worst pants shittingly terrifying, and they tell me to **** off and I'll burn in hell and so forth, I'll tell them to **** off.
Also depends on who I'm speaking with, how long I've known them/how comfortable I am around them, and the sort of conversation we're having.
If someone tells me they are offended by something I say then I tend to hold my tongue because I'm not a douche.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
If I am aware that what I want to say might offend someone, I just don't say it. I do not mean bad words or petty stuff like that, I mean attacking or contradicting someone else's point of view or thought or believes and stuff like that.
I've never seen any guy wear a pink polo.
Now I have the answer to what is wrong with the world.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I will sacrifice my own ego and desires so I don't offend anybody because i'm not a douche and stuff isn't that important and it's taking the high road and i'm better than you etc.

It's not very often that something is worth offending somebody. Don't give a shit if offense is given or taken.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
JS Mill has some good stuff on offensiveness/censorship that might interest you, Madcap. I believe it is in his work On Liberty. It's more about the social implications and why not to censor offensive speech, but you might find it relevant.
I believe that you have to weigh the issue out. How much it will offend people vs how important it is to you to do or say whatever it is you want to do. If it's not of dire importance to you and will really bother people, you should have sense enough to just let it go and not do it. However, if it's something you feel passionate about but will still offend some people, then you can reason that it might be worth it to do said act regardless of if it's offensive or not.

I normally stop when I see a person hiding his or her distaste towards my actions, or they try to make me stop politely. But when a person starts shouting and just complains without any hint of politeness, I'll continue doing it just to annoy the person.

**** them, I'm a person too. If you can't talk to me like an adult, then why should I treat you as one?

GRAY RAINBOW

I think it can be put fairly simple. If you smoke, curse or whatever and you are out with people or around people and it bothers them, it's probably no problem to not do that in front of them or make them feel uncomfortable. Just respect them and move on. When it comes to actually having a friend or gf/bf then it simply becomes a matter of something you have in common (which is alright) or the other person really does not mind if you smoke , or you swear a lot and they don't.

I do smoke cigarettes, but I will never light one up in a car, or in a small space around people if they don't all think it's fine or smoke themselfs. Plenty of times when I have a chance to have one. You could also smoke in your apartment/house, but have somebody who comes over and dislikes smoke. in that case, I would go outside while that person is around. Yes, it's my place, but I can respect the person enough to not be a douche to them.
It's all context. Assess the values and rules of the community you're communicating in and then choose to either adhere to or defy those rules. There's no clear cut answer to what constitutes reasonable offense and what is someone getting butthurt for no reason--it's all based on the situation.