Page 1 of 2
What is apparently the richest country in the world right now is calling my name. I used to live there in 5th grade so I do have citizenship. Also have lots of family I've never met there.

For those of you that live there or have been there recently, how would you compare it to where you live now?

I'm curious about how the legal system and traffic works there. What's the deal with P plates?
All I remember really is surfing and hating the intrusive wildlife.
Last edited by Cycloptishred at Apr 4, 2012,
It's ridiculously expensive. The cops are basically an extension of the military and have zero tolerance for anything.

Traffic depends where you're going, in Melbourne it's shit, my brief time in Sydney it was shit. Speed limits are hilariously low. Speed cameras everywhere.

P plates works like: Pass driving test: Red Ps for a year which means you can only have 1 person under 21 in the car with you and engine size is restricted. Green Ps for 2 years, where most of restrictions are gone. Drink drive limit is 0 for both. If you're over 21 you skip reds.

It's also about to hit a fairly big financial dip so I wouldn't base your decision on it's wealth.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
its good man lol

what do you want to know about the legal system? In general its pretty similar to any western system I would guess... I dunno, there's no death penalty for one.

traffic goes on the left hand side and apart from that the rules are all pretty standard I'd imagine, as in its not like driving in New Delhi

can't tell you the deal with P plates because its different in every state but I can tell you that it takes what I think is a ridiculous amount of time to get your license because young people keep wrapping themselves around trees.

personally I think its retarded because they just keep extending the probationary periods and don't make any attempt to actually teach you how to handle a car better (ala Finland from what I saw on Top Gear lol)

EDIT:^not everything is ridiculously expensive and we have pay rates to match. I worked casually at a fruit and veg place for like 25-35 hours a week and after rent and a tonne of food I was still banking $200+ a week
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Apr 4, 2012,
Perth is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in and beats Paris, London, New York etc. It will take the rest of your life to finally get a proper driver's license. And as for wildlife: where I live it's either deadly or in plague proportions.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Where are you moving to? I live on the sunshine coast in queensland. rent is expensive but hardly any traffic, and it is a really relaxed place to live. all i do is surf and uni :p
I emigrated from England seven years ago. I like Australia, but since I'm only 15 I can't give you serious information on things such as taxes and economy. I do know that getting your driver's license is a mother fucker.
West Ham United
Australia is mad! But yes, look out for drop bears.......
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by jambi_mantra

It's also about to hit a fairly big financial dip so I wouldn't base your decision on it's wealth.

The whole world's about to go up the shitter financially, it's hardly something exclusively Australian.
Speed camera's/cops are a bit of a pain in big cities, as is traffic, but everywhere else they aren't too much of a hassle. Traffic in Sydney is generally appalling, Canberra has no traffic unless you are driving at 5pm. Dunno about other places.
Rent is very high in most parts. Sydney is very expensive, even Canberra is very expensive, although people earn higher incomes to compensate.
Despite all the stereotypes about wildlife, it's not that bad. I've had plenty of snakes in my yard but they usually piss off once they see you.
Red P Plates are pretty lame: not sure if it's only 1 person in the car under the age of 25 or 21 from 10PM to 6AM. Something lame like that. Not allowed modified engines, not allowed V8s, speed limit is 90, although no one does it, 0 BAC limit.
Green P's are slightly better, no passenger restrictions, you might be able to drive with some modifications/bigger engines, can drive 100km/hr, still 0 BAC limit.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
No traffic in Adelaide, only restriction on Ps is no turbo/no alcohol. When you get P2s after a year you can remove your plates but still a 0 alc tolerance.

Adelaide's cheap to live in, easy to get a job and lots of music/art. It's pretty rad.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
it's expensive to live here, housing is really expensive. and even though the Australian dollar is stronger than the american, you still pay more for everything.
The economy is ok, not strong, but not weak either, its going ok and will get stronger as time goes on.
China is pretty much the only reason Australia is going well, they are buying all our iron ore.
---
Why would anyone want to go to Australia?

It's located 3 quarters of a mile from the surface of the sun. People audibly crackling as they walk past you on the streets. The surrounding waters are inhabited almost exclusively by things designed to kill you. Sharks, Jellyfish, swimming knives, they're all in there.
Quote by N_J_B_B
No traffic in Adelaide, only restriction on Ps is no turbo/no alcohol. When you get P2s after a year you can remove your plates but still a 0 alc tolerance.

Adelaide's cheap to live in, easy to get a job and lots of music/art. It's pretty rad.

unless its peak hour... at any other time Adelaide is a breeze to get around in but at peak hour most major roads just can't handle the load.

but I agree, Adelaide is cheap and awesome and more importantly home of the crows

Quote by Robfreitag
it's expensive to live here, housing is really expensive. and even though the Australian dollar is stronger than the american, you still pay more for everything.
The economy is ok, not strong, but not weak either, its going ok and will get stronger as time goes on.
China is pretty much the only reason Australia is going well, they are buying all our iron ore.

yeah but we get payed more... the average minimum wage in the US is like $7.50 whereas here it is just over double that. Pretty good considering we sure as hell don't pay double for everything we need to buy
Quote by Diamond Dave
i

EDIT:^not everything is ridiculously expensive and we have pay rates to match. I worked casually at a fruit and veg place for like 25-35 hours a week and after rent and a tonne of food I was still banking $200+ a week

I'm struggling to think of anything that I would consider cheap or even reasonably priced.

That's true, if you've got the time to do it. My timetable at uni is consistently rubbish and makes working almost impossble for more than 2 days a week. 16 hours, at $20 an hour is $320, not enough to pay a weeks rent. That keeps me a live while I have the privilege of not having to worry about housing.

Quote by Dory77
The whole world's about to go up the shitter financially, it's hardly something exclusively Australian.

No,everyone else has already done it. The GFC was in 2008, Australia got through it because it relies on mining and China and India still need shit. Now the bubble is starting to burst and Australia is on the edge of real trouble.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Apr 4, 2012,
Thanks a bunch for all the information guys (maybe girls?). I'm so excited to go. Kinda depressing at the same time. I always modify my cars with a boost controller at the very least. Am I limited to N/A 4 bangers while I'm on the Ps? Do the cops check under my hood if I'm stopped?

I have family up there with connections to the mining industry and according to them I would be making a good amount of money. What kind of damage would I be looking at if I want to buy a few acres of land?
FWIW, Australia is a terrific place to live in
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cycloptishred
Thanks a bunch for all the information guys (maybe girls?). I'm so excited to go. Kinda depressing at the same time. I always modify my cars with a boost controller at the very least. Am I limited to N/A 4 bangers while I'm on the Ps? Do the cops check under my hood if I'm stopped?

I have family up there with connections to the mining industry and according to them I would be making a good amount of money. What kind of damage would I be looking at if I want to buy a few acres of land?

Cops occasionally check under the hood if they suspect a car is modded, although they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to engines. You could probably get away with a few small upgrades, but if you whop a giant turbo in they'll give you shit.

Re land: depends on where you buy it. A few acres of dirt won't cost you much, but won't give you much of a return either. Land prices could be going up soon too, as we're starting to come out of a giant drought, so farms will start being more valuable, if that's the sort of land you're thinking.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Adelaide's cheap to live in

No kidding, I hear your whores only charge 10 cents/minute for a bj.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Dory77
Cops occasionally check under the hood if they suspect a car is modded, although they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to engines. You could probably get away with a few small upgrades, but if you whop a giant turbo in they'll give you shit.

Re land: depends on where you buy it. A few acres of dirt won't cost you much, but won't give you much of a return either. Land prices could be going up soon too, as we're starting to come out of a giant drought, so farms will start being more valuable, if that's the sort of land you're thinking.

Haha, I'm sure some cops know engines or enforcement wouldn't go a whole lot further than speeding tickets and DUIs.

But in regards to land that is sweet!! I wanted to get something in the outback. Some place I could grow some crops and have self sufficient living to an extent. Maybe ride my dirt bikes around.
Quote by Cycloptishred

But in regards to land that is sweet!! I wanted to get something in the outback. Some place I could grow some crops and have self sufficient living to an extent. Maybe ride my dirt bikes around.

Outback as in the ol' cliche: red dust, lotsa shitty little bushes, no other human life for hundreds of miles, Uluru on the horizon? That isn't going to be great farming land, but will be cheap. To get decent farm land will cost a bit, plus if you're going to grow anything you'll need all the machinery, chemicals and know-how. You'll have plenty of chances to ride dirt bikes though.
Yea I'm also pretty sure there's regulations you'll have to meet and seeing as I'm assuming you're under 18, you may not even be old enough.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by N_J_B_B
No traffic in Adelaide

Haha are you serious? I have never seen so many incompetent morons driving in one city. 6/10 of the drivers here are clueless ****en morons driving 10-20 KMs lower than the speed limit. No one indicates, and there are so many ****ing trucks its ridiculous. Dont even get me started on Adelaide traffic. makes me so angry. So many retards. So many.
Wait a minute, so you used to live in Australia, and you managed to escape, and yet now you actually want to voluntarily go back there? Why?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Good guitars are extremely expensive, a lot more than the USA.
Weed is good
House prices are insanely stupid, but I have a friend who pays $200 a week for a very nice 1 story place, really nice size and fully furnished.
Most houses are one story
The wildlife isn't that bad
Quote by Zzzonked90
Haha are you serious? I have never seen so many incompetent morons driving in one city. 6/10 of the drivers here are clueless ****en morons driving 10-20 KMs lower than the speed limit. No one indicates, and there are so many ****ing trucks its ridiculous. Dont even get me started on Adelaide traffic. makes me so angry. So many retards. So many.

That's just Australia in general. Considering the tests are apparently so hard everyone sucks at driving.

Quote by theogonia777
Wait a minute, so you used to live in Australia, and you managed to escape, and yet now you actually want to voluntarily go back there? Why?

From the outside it looks like a very pleasant place to live (and generally is) compared to a lot of countries atm.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
If you like internet censorship and living in the only western country without a bill of rights then Australia is for you!
Quote by metaldud536
Why would anyone want to go to Australia?

It's located 3 quarters of a mile from the surface of the sun. People audibly crackling as they walk past you on the streets. The surrounding waters are inhabited almost exclusively by things designed to kill you. Sharks, Jellyfish, swimming knives, they're all in there.

Dylan Moran fan aye?
Quote by WaterGod
If you like internet censorship and living in the only western country without a bill of rights then Australia is for you!

The internet isn't censored fyi.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by WaterGod

Oh shit yeah i forgot about the constant government oppression. Someone should really get on to writing a bill of rights because it's like the Gulag over here.
Quote by jambi_mantra
The internet isn't censored fyi.

I guess when 99% of the internet traffic in a country is on sites related kangaroos, boomerangs, and how to deal with snake/spider/shark/ant/bat/scorpion/crocodile bites, there really is no reason to censor anything.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'm struggling to think of anything that I would consider cheap or even reasonably priced.

That's true, if you've got the time to do it. My timetable at uni is consistently rubbish and makes working almost impossble for more than 2 days a week. 16 hours, at $20 an hour is $320, not enough to pay a weeks rent. That keeps me a live while I have the privilege of not having to worry about housing.

uhh what? you're living in the wrong town then buddy.

I live in a nice flat in a nice area 15 minutes walk from the CBD in Adelaide and my rent is less than that and WAY less because I share (are you seriously a uni student living by yourself? honestly I find that insane).

Well you say nothing is cheap or even reasonably priced and yet I've always been able to afford whatever I've wanted on meagre incomes. Now I'm actually interested to hear how much food and stuff costs in Ol' Blighty (that's where you're originally from right? ) because I've always heard the basics were much more pricey over there.
Quote by Diamond Dave
uhh what? you're living in the wrong town then buddy.

I live in a nice flat in a nice area 15 minutes walk from the CBD in Adelaide and my rent is less than that and WAY less because I share (are you seriously a uni student living by yourself? honestly I find that insane).

Well you say nothing is cheap or even reasonably priced and yet I've always been able to afford whatever I've wanted on meagre incomes. Now I'm actually interested to hear how much food and stuff costs in Ol' Blighty (that's where you're originally from right? ) because I've always heard the basics were much more pricey over there.

I live in a one bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and lounge terraced single story house about 15 minutes walk from uni. It's $450 a week. None of my friends live out of their parents house because they can't afford it. It's called living in Melbourne.

Whoever told you that is lying. At home me and my brother lived off maybe 25-30 ($37-45)quid each a week for food without difficulty and that was with junk like buying soda, crisps, cookies and shit.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by jambi_mantra
Yea I'm also pretty sure there's regulations you'll have to meet and seeing as I'm assuming you're under 18, you may not even be old enough.

I'm 18.

Quote by theogonia777

A: I have family out there I want to meet.
B: Its a long story involving a lot of bias in the criminal justice system. Mostly due to the fact that they dont work in sync but if I were to tell the WHOLE story (not just my most recent thread) I doubt anyone would believe it.

Quote by WaterGod

Quote by spitonastranger
Oh shit yeah i forgot about the constant government oppression. Someone should really get on to writing a bill of rights because it's like the Gulag over here.

This is interesting. Please tell more.

Quote by Owenlee55
Good guitars are extremely expensive, a lot more than the USA.
<B>Weed is good<B>
House prices are insanely stupid, but I have a friend who pays $200 a week for a very nice 1 story place, really nice size and fully furnished.
Most houses are one story
The wildlife isn't that bad

I live in Eugene OR currently they have great stuff down here, cheap too. How are the prices up there? What happens if you get caught growing, selling or smoking?
Last edited by Cycloptishred at Apr 4, 2012,
I was joking. We have no federal bill of rights but it doesn't impact us at all, most of these rights are entrenched in our legal system anyway.

Our internet isn't really that censored either, i've certainly never noticed it.

In short Australia's cool, and you'll dig it.
Quote by spitonastranger
I was joking. We have no federal bill of rights but it doesn't impact us at all, most of these rights are entrenched in our legal system anyway.

Our internet isn't really that censored either, i've certainly never noticed it.

In short Australia's cool, and you'll dig it.

Unless you're Indigenous

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Cops are cunts, especially if you own a performance vehicle. Basically all mods are illegal.

Roads are terribad in Sydney.

Traffic is shit.

Train tickets are expensive.

Petrol is expensive.

If you're into modding cars, be prepared for getting raped by highway patrol. Hide your boost controller, hide your gauges, hide your bucket seats, hide your car.

Edit: Just read that you're 18. You won't be having a turbo til at least 20, have fun in a shitty N/A. Get yourself a VTAAKKKK son. If you've already experienced boost, it's gonna be hell for you until you get your full licence.

Regarding weed, you'll get a slap on the wrist if it's a small amount, If they can tell you're selling, mate you're ****ed. I read somewhere that you can grow one plant for personal use, but don't quote me on that.

Besides all that, I ****ing love this country
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by macaroni
Cops are cunts, especially if you own a performance vehicle. Basically all mods are illegal.

Roads are terribad in Sydney.

Traffic is shit.

Train tickets are expensive.

Petrol is expensive.

If you're into modding cars, be prepared for getting raped by highway patrol. Hide your boost controller, hide your gauges, hide your bucket seats, hide your car.

If you live in australia have you ever watched a youtube show called mightycarmods? The cop situation made itself pretty clear now that Ive put 2 and 2 together. They like to make cars that look stock but actually go quite fast. One of the guys has a late model Subaru Forester and the other has a 91 (I think) Subaru Liberty RS station wagon. They both run boost controllers and like to hide it with black intercoolers and installing the BOV under the battery.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I live in a one bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and lounge terraced single story house about 15 minutes walk from uni. It's $450 a week. None of my friends live out of their parents house because they can't afford it. It's called living in Melbourne.

Whoever told you that is lying. At home me and my brother lived off maybe 25-30 ($37-45)quid each a week for food without difficulty and that was with junk like buying soda, crisps, cookies and shit.

wow, I used to live at a residential college and that was accommodation, internet, utilities and food and that was just cheaper than that. Holy shit though I didn't realise it was THAT much more expensive and I've heard Sydney is even worse...

As for the second bit, well that's pretty good then
Page 1 of 2