What program does your band use to make flyers for shows? Are there cheap ones you can get?
For making original artwork for flyers/web/whatever I use Illustrator but I'm sure there are free alternatives. I also use Illustrator to put together the flyer. I add text and do the layout in there, and copy/paste the band logo.

For making logos I found a cool font on Dafont and went into Photoshop (though GIMP is free and works just as well).

You can definitely make it work with freeware and/or Word if you spend enough time on it. The important thing (at least in my opinion) is to have these: a bevy of good fonts (Dafont has a bunch of free ones, try Bebas Neue as it's nice and trendy) and really good handdrawn artwork or a nice picture to draw people to the flyer.
Serif Page Plus Light Edition is free and awesome to use. It only allows 5 pages per document but being as a flyer is only one page its not a worry!
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Talent.

Just because you CAN make your own flyers doesn't mean you should. Though saying that it can go well. This is a flyer I made ages ago for my old band in photoshop:

HUGE PIC AHOY

You gotta remember that just because it isn't music doesn't mean it's not technically an art form. The above came from probably around 5 years photoshop experience on a purely hobby level. Though saying that, I'd expect a trained monkey to be able to make something as simple as that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 16, 2012,
I had a friend of mine do our flyers. He knew graphic design, worked on web pages, and knew how to lay out something like that. So we had an agreement that I'd fix his gear if he'd do our flyers. If you know someone like that, that's a good place to start. Pay them a bit if you can't do something for them.
Photoshop. Once you know the ropes the sky is the limit.
Make as much complex and artsy looking stuff as youd like
METAL!
What I find funny is that band/event posters and flyers looked way better years before things like Photoshop were ever thought of.

It's amazing what someone can do with a simple copy machine and some creativity at your local Kinkos...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
What I find funny is that band/event posters and flyers looked way better years before things like Photoshop were ever thought of.

It's amazing what someone can do with a simple copy machine and some creativity at your local Kinkos...

I kinda agree, but now if you want anyone to look at your flyer it does have to look polished and photoshopped up. =(

A friend of mine who does a lot of graphic design suggested that he should do a kinda punk hand-drawn flyer for us. It would look super cool, but how well it'd work as a flyer is questionable. =/
1) Make sure you have a graphic design, photographer, or artist buddy
2) Give him $50 to make something you'd have to pay a few hundred for otherwise
3) Go down to the print shop and tear things up

That might be more for posters than fliers, but high quality on either goes a long way. Fliers that joe-schmoe made in PS usually just look like garbage stapled to the wall and no one ever stops to actually look at them.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at May 22, 2012,