So I've been working on original music and want to lay down some solos. What scales should I learn to make my own solos?
The major scale would be the best place to start because it's the basis of everything else. However, if you're looking for a little more instant gratification, it would be easier to learn the minor pentatonic scale.
Pentatonic scales are generally the easiest scales to use but remember that soloing isnt about using set scales. Well it shouldn't be anyway. Pick a key, and just improvise. If you don't have much theory background, just use your ear. Listen to what sounds good and what doesn't. If your playing by yourself don't worry about making mistakes because it will help you learn. Have fun with it.
My Gear:
-Schecter Omen w/ emg's
-Ibanez xpt700 Xiphos
-Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
-Raven 100w

Don’t take life too seriously, you won’t get out alive.
Quote by kmcharger21
Pentatonic scales are generally the easiest scales to use but remember that soloing isnt about using set scales. Well it shouldn't be anyway. Pick a key, and just improvise. If you don't have much theory background, just use your ear. Listen to what sounds good and what doesn't. If your playing by yourself don't worry about making mistakes because it will help you learn. Have fun with it.

+1
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
On the advice of some smart people around here, DON'T learn scales or modes.... They're just dumb. I don't think this myself atm, but I bet one day i will see my mistake, as these people seem smart!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
On the advice of some smart people around here, DON'T learn scales or modes.... They're just dumb. I don't think this myself atm, but I bet one day i will see my mistake, as these people seem smart!

no it isn't that you shouldn't learn scales, its 'don't learn scale shapes', instead learn where the notes are on the fretboard and what notes are in each scale. now when someone says this song is in the key of G you know what notes to play to stay in key instead of trying to think of a shape and how to alter it to fit this key. basically if you know the notes all along the guitar you will more easily be able to add the flavor you want over each chord which shapes don't really tell you that that.

also people say not to learn modes because they are pretty much unused in current music and because there is alot of confusion about what they actually are, therefore they are pretty much pointless for you to bother with, especially without a solid foundation of what everything else is.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.