Instagram photos, "relic" guitars, recording on tape, tube amplifers, ripped jeans, vocalists with unconventional singing voices, playing behind the beat, lens flare and shaky cameras in hollywood films, fake grill marks on fast food.

What is so appealing about deliberate, manufactured imperfections?
Why do we interpret flaws (even artificial ones) as signs of authenticity?
Why do people bone fat/ugly chicks?

It's taste. Personal preference. Everybody would have a different answer as to why they like something such as that.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 4, 2012,
Imperfections are cool. Only when they look perfect, though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Because we are told that nothing is perfect, so we view flaws in ourselves as what makes us human. Our imperfections are the evidence of our survival. And when we see those celebrities smiling on TV, we call them fake and plastic. Because they are what people tell us what perfect is. But perfect doesn't exist.

Those people? They're not real. We're real. With our unconventional voices and grill marks. We want our food to reflect that. We want our music to reflect that. Our clothing. Etc, etc, etc.

And then, that feeling of authenticity becomes a commodity itself. Which is why we pay $80 for someone else to rip our pants for us.

Man, I wish I smoked.
Having flaws are part of what makes things in life realistic, because humans and the world around us are full of flaws.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Because flaws insert the human element into whatever it is.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Having flaws are part of what makes things in life realistic, because humans and the world around us are full of flaws.

But what about artificial flaws? You start with something that's "too perfect" and you have to rough it up a little for people to accept it.
How does beating up a new guitar to make it look old make it realistic? Who's gonna think you played that guitar for 40 years? It's all fiction and suspension of disbelief.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Metal Gear Rex has a "character flaw". Not one of Otacon's best ideas.

Did you ever think his sister was hot? I didn't.
Quote by meh217
Which album do you listen to:
Lulu
or
My world 2.0?

Belieba4lyf

Care to explain the relevance? I'm sure this is some profound statement but it's going over my head currently.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by sashki
But what about artificial flaws? You start with something that's "too perfect" and you have to rough it up a little for people to accept it.
How does beating up a new guitar to make it look old make it realistic? Who's gonna think you played that guitar for 40 years? It's all fiction and suspension of disbelief.

That is someone trying to cash in on the nature of their targetted audience. They make their product appeal aesthetically to the buyer, the buyer likes a worn in natural look so they pay (pressumably minimum wage) workers to artificially flaw the product.

I think some of it goes to our sense of individuality, and how it is being taken advantage of. If we buy normal jeans it isn't as cool because everyone else has those, but my jeans have a tear on the knee and it totally looks like I got it while hiking or doing some other interesting vague activity.

Essentially humans are easily fooled into buying dumb crap
In my heart I'm with you

every night
They actually did a study where they took two women, and this has been repeated time and time again with different women, and they go to a job interview. They are both overqualified: perfect grades, prestigious school, an insane amount of extra curricular activities, etc.

One of the women goes through the interview.
The next goes through the interview and answers the questions the same, same resume, etc, except that she chugs a soda and burps.

The one who burped gets hired more often.
Quote by sashki

No difference. Flaws, artificial or not look realistic (to a degree) because perfection is unrealistic; i believe that perfection in the world around us and in ourselves is impossible. Whoever believes relicing looks realistic or not is down to individual taste.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2012,
I dunno, but if I listen to say and 80's rock/metal album sometimes you can find mistakes. I mean, look at Panama from van halen. The harmonic part just before they start yelling panama, he playes it the first time, then a bit different the second even missing some harmonics. Still sounds awesome. I just like to find human mistakes. Makes it feel like people actually just went for it instead of spending so much time trying to have everything perfect with no mistakes.
Quote by AgainstYou
Belieba4lyf

Care to explain the relevance? I'm sure this is some profound statement but it's going over my head currently.

Lol, no. Lulu and My World 2.0 were both terrible albums.
Because nothing is perfect. Trying drawing a perfect circle without a tool.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
It's to make it seem more real and less fake. That's legit all it is.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Because the essence of beauty is imperfection...
hence fake beauty spots in the 1700s.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Because "perfection" is boring. (and doesn't exist)
A pretty face with an unique character is way more attractive than your run of the mill blonde bombshell.

But it's a very intresting subject.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zox at Apr 5, 2012,
I wouldn't put unconventional vocalists in with the rest of those examples.

"Good" singing, particularly in pop music is incredibly homogenised, people affect voices that aren't their own and that in my opinion don't convey emotion as well as their own "imperfect" voice. When emotion properly takes over you in a song, there's no reason to guarantee that you're going to sound like what people generally think of as a good singer.

It's not so much that you intentionally sing badly, as that you intentionally don't sing well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLocTiS8ZtA
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.