In the band I have now, I'm 21 and so is the singer. We do all of the work, from promoting to songwriting to handling taxes to handling recording to, well everything. The bassist and drummer are both almost 30, and contribute next to nothing. They see the world/life through a very different eye than we do. This has been my experience with other older musicians. Has anyone else had this issue?
If she's younger than 15 don't do it!

Oops. I didn't really read the post. Ignore that

Well that's bound to happen. People at different stages in their lives have different views. Maybe you guys are still in the "we're gonna be the biggest band ever" stage. And they're in the "Lets have some fun and maybe make some extra bucks stage." But if they're good you should still play with them
Last edited by zach in black at Apr 5, 2012,
Not so much the 'biggest band ever' stage, but more the 'it'd be nice to have help with all of these things' stage. We got into a huge thing today about whether or not to fire them or just make them hired guns and run the band the way Omar Rodriguez runs The Mars Volta.
Quote by zach in black
Well that's bound to happen. People at different stages in their lives have different views. Maybe you guys are still in the "we're gonna be the biggest band ever" stage. And they're in the "Lets have some fun and maybe make some extra bucks stage." But if they're good you should still play with them

Well people can have these views at any age. If this is the actual problem, break up the band and find people with more aligned interests.

Otherwise, does it affect the music at all? Is it surprising that someone 10 years older has different views on life? They mayn't be right...but is it surprising to you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It isn't surprising to me, no, I'm just wondering if we should remove them and replace them with different people.
Quote by AlanHB
Well people can have these views at any age. If this is the actual problem, break up the band and find people with more aligned interests.

Otherwise, does it affect the music at all? Is it surprising that someone 10 years older has different views on life? They mayn't be right...but is it surprising to you?

This x1000
have you talked to them about this? do they know you guys want help with it?

if not, thats where you should start. of course if you have then you may need to replace them...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I am in my mid thirties, my bass player is late 30's our singer is mid 40's and our drummer is early 20's. Age has nothing to do with it if you all have the same out look on life and the band. It doesn't matter how old your members are as long as you want the same goals from the band which is sounds like yours doesnt have.

Have you sat down and talked things through with everyone?
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
You know I hate to say it but it's always the older guys saying that age doesn't matter. If we're talking strictly about musical ability, then no age doesn't matter. But we all know being in a band is about more than just playing music. I believe the people in your band should be your friends, they should be like a family. And I'm sorry but someone who is 10+ years older than me is just in a different stage in their life, and we are going to have different issues.
Quote by TNA
And I'm sorry but someone who is 10+ years older than me is just in a different stage in their life, and we are going to have different issues.

Don't be sorry, the question is "does it affect the music/band". If it does, break up the band, if it doesn't, who cares?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Don't be sorry, the question is "does it affect the music/band". If it does, break up the band, if it doesn't, who cares?

Well like I said I think it's a personal thing whether you want all the members of your band to be around the same age. Some people don't care and get along great with a wide range of ages. But for me I'd rather have people around my age. I just said sorry because of those people who feel very strongly that age does not matter. And some people do feel very strongly about that.
For the most part, I'm another oldster (42) saying age doesn't matter. What matters more is whether or not the members have similar priorities and goals with respect to the band. This will typically, but certainly not always be a function of their age. It's one thing to be 17 and saying "music is my life, man" (hey, that was me too!), but at 35, it is less likely to hold the same priority. "seventeen turned to thirty-five" - name that tune!

However, if your priorities ARE the same, then age shouldn't matter.

Some genres, of course, are more appealing to some age groups too. But if Mr 35 is really pumped about playing in the death-core band then why not?

There is one major caveat: If your intention is to get signed and do a youth-oriented genre of music, you should have a clearly established understanding that anyone who looks over 25 will be a liability. In that case, it's not their actual age that matters as much as how old they look.

Another factor amidst all that is the person should be in a position to drop everything and tour with four other sweaty semi-literates for weeks at a time making only enough money to get home. If you're 21 and doing that, it's pretty cool. If you're 40 and doing that, it is decidedly less so. Many players, having reached a certain age, will be neither willing nor able to leave their job and/or their family for such a venture. Call it musical attrition.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by JasperPryce
In the band I have now, I'm 21 and so is the singer. We do all of the work, from promoting to songwriting to handling taxes to handling recording to, well everything. The bassist and drummer are both almost 30, and contribute next to nothing. They see the world/life through a very different eye than we do. This has been my experience with other older musicians. Has anyone else had this issue?

Similar, but the other way around, me and another guy were the older members and the other two were quite a bit younger and tended to leave all the organisational and business stuff to us more experienced older guys.

To be honest, it never really bothered us, we seemed to function really well like that, and it does make sense to have the most experienced guys handling the business.
Quote by JasperPryce

LOL.. You guys do all that stuff and they do nothing..

wanna form a band?

I think they're workin ya.. LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
If you lose them you don't have a band any more though you may be able to find a new rhythm section.

There is nothing wrong with just wanting to play or just wanting to gig. A good rhythm section can make a band. They may have a different attitude because they play bass and drums, rarely starring roles. If they do a good job and leave you to do the creative stuff then you are pretty lucky.

Most bands have one person who does the heavy lifting, if you have a mate to help you are pretty lucky.

Only you can decide if you are so bothered by this that you have to break up your band, just don't imagine the grass will automatically be greener with younger musicians.
Do they have commitments that you don't eg jobs, families, kids, that may mean they have less free time than you?

If that is the case and you have more time to spare then it is perhaps reasonable that you do more of the time-consuming work, but obviously they have to appreciate that you're doing them a favour and not take you for granted.

If they're just being lazy though it's a lot less clear cut
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If everyone is on the same page about the band goals, age SHOULDN'T matter. For me personally I'd rather have members who are at most 6 years older than me but I'm in the 17-25...maybe 26 age bracket. The unfortunate thing about looking for younger members is that the pool of "good ones" isn't as fruitful, but if they have too much else going on or they don't want to contribute beyond showing up for practice and shows, then they already are essentially hired guns.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by Mithaearon
I am in my mid thirties, my bass player is late 30's our singer is mid 40's and our drummer is early 20's. Age has nothing to do with it if you all have the same out look on life and the band. It doesn't matter how old your members are as long as you want the same goals from the band which is sounds like yours doesnt have.

Have you sat down and talked things through with everyone?

Kudos to you man. I am also in a band with huge age gaps and things go pretty well. We all listen to metal, play metal and talk metal so we get along pretty well.
Quote by TNA
You know I hate to say it but it's always the older guys saying that age doesn't matter.

That's usually because they've been your age, their age, and everything in between. So they have a lot more perspective.

Damn kids. Get off my lawn or I'll beat you with my cane.

Siriusly, though, I echo what the other codgers in this thread have already said; this isn't an age issue, it's a "people not contributing to the band" issue. You could just as easily have wound up with a couple slacker-stoner twentysomethings who didn't pull their own weight and would be making the same post.

Whether or not you can change this situation depends on, well, whether or not the other guys are willing to pick up some of the slack. As in just about any other issue posted to this forum, the answer is some variant of "talk to the guys, express how you feel, and see what they say." They may have no idea you're suffering in silence, or they may, as someone posted above, think they got a sweet deal since you're doing all the work. You need to get everyone's perspective and then see if you can mold it, or at the very least decide if how things are (or can be) work for you. If they don't - and I think they won't, since you're posting about it - it's time to make a decision on either leaving yourself or giving them an ultimatum. Assuming they don't shape up, that is.