So, at the moment, I've been playing guitar through my peavey bass amp, but I'm planning on getting a new halfstack soon. What I was wondering, is I'd also like to start getting some vocal gear ready to do live shows. Would it be possible/plausible to run a mic through the bass amp I already have and use that as a PA of sorts? Or is an actual PA system my best bet?
Honey mustard is best mustard.
Don't go through that bs. Do yourself a favour and just completely bypass that phase. Get a small mixer, say 8 channel, and a couple of powered bins (200W 15"s will do). That will get you out of trouble for a while.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Use house PA. No house PA? Gig somewhere else.

In a pinch, a relatively transparent bass amp (especially if it has a nice tweeter) will get you as close as you're going to get without buying a PA... or a keyboard amp, but there's very little difference between a peavey keyboard and bass amp anyway. So, it will physically work but won't sound good at all. On the other hand, starter PA kits are always garbage for anything other than powering monitors at a band rehearsal, so I don't really suggest getting one of those either.

Which brings us back to my first comment, which sounds like a joke but isn't. Just gig at places with a PA, any place without one isn't worth what you're going to get out of playing there anyway.
It's amazing how many more gigs you can land if you have your own PA, even a cheap one. Especially when you are starting out and doing weddings, parties, anything. Powered bins aren't that expensive now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for all the responses, fellas.

I know this may sound borderline retarded...but what is a "powered bin" and how is it different than a PA?
Quote by Cathbard
It's amazing how many more gigs you can land if you have your own PA, even a cheap one. Especially when you are starting out and doing weddings, parties, anything. Powered bins aren't that expensive now.

I guess it depends on the scene you want. I've seen very competent bands bring a nice little board with behringer 12s to dive bars for an evening. I just figured it was the rural setting with few venues that forced them to do that on a weeknight though, they could just go play the better venues on the weekend for a better take.

I've hauled a little PA to a lot of places over the years, I wish I hadn't because they never turned out to be worth the trouble I guess I'm biased because I've never had a good experience or good money at coffee shops or shit-dives but usually love playing out at a real venue (though I still never make good money).
Vocals through a bass amp
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj

There's no such thing as a stupid question

Right?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I guess it depends on the scene you want. I've seen very competent bands bring a nice little board with behringer 12s to dive bars for an evening. I just figured it was the rural setting with few venues that forced them to do that on a weeknight though, they could just go play the better venues on the weekend for a better take.

I've hauled a little PA to a lot of places over the years, I wish I hadn't because they never turned out to be worth the trouble I guess I'm biased because I've never had a good experience or good money at coffee shops or shit-dives but usually love playing out at a real venue (though I still never make good money).

Can't you infer from his post where along the road this guy is?

You need a small PA, TS. It will pay for itself in no time. Nothing extravagant needed when starting out. Get what I said. Check Craigslist and ebay. Lots of people buy PA's and then stop gigging - and then offload them cheap. Keep your eyes open.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Can't you infer from his post where along the road this guy is?

You need a small PA, TS. It will pay for itself in no time. Nothing extravagant needed when starting out. Get what I said. Check Craigslist and ebay. Lots of people buy PA's and then stop gigging - and then offload them cheap. Keep your eyes open.

Quote by TearsForWater
So, at the moment, I've been playing guitar through my peavey bass amp, but I'm planning on getting a new halfstack soon. What I was wondering, is I'd also like to start getting some vocal gear ready to do live shows. Would it be possible/plausible to run a mic through the bass amp I already have and use that as a PA of sorts? Or is an actual PA system my best bet?
Actually, if you absolutely had to play through an instrument amp, the only type to consider would be an acoustic guitar amp. Why? because they're clean, and have good high frequency response.

With that said, this would pretty much limit you to a one man set, in a tiny venue.

I'm guessing what the others are referring to as "bins" are amplified speakers, usually with a horn high freq driver, and a 12' or 15" woofer. Berhinger has some very reasonable ones available at about $250.00 a side.

Here's an entry level Berhinger PA package: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-ub2442fx--harbinger-aps15-pa-package/631031000000000
Quote by seeneyj

eh, bass amps are relatively flat and distortion free. Espescially if you've got one with a horn for the high frequencies
Quote by TearsForWater
Thanks for all the responses, fellas.

I know this may sound borderline retarded...but what is a "powered bin" and how is it different than a PA?

Powered bin is aussie speak for powered PA speaker.

Basically that's half your PA. The mixer is the other half... Unpowered mixer if you're using powered (active) speakers, and powered mixer if you're using unpowered (passive) speakers.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes